Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody heading to the the Ploughing 2024?

• 14-09-2024 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if there's a thread on it here.

I went a good few years but last few it's been difficult.

Tickets online are €25 and at the gate €30.

Anybody going?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Tileman

planning to go Wednesday . Haven’t been in a few years. But young lad wants to go so I’ll go this year when. The weather is good

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

I know weather is good which will be great for those going. But a firm No from me. Big Tullamore Show fan here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

going Tuesday bringing young lads more for them to be off school than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

not going

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m not pushed but I’m bringing our 15-year-old and a few others Tuesday.

They’ll head off themselves when we get there and I’ll have the day to myself. Must have a look at the “Ploughing Special” that came with the IFJ this week to see if there’s anything worth checking out. Other than that I’ll wander around and probably have a pint someplace. Might check out the music tent as well as I’ve seen that before.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10 nippy12

It's in laois again? That's a good few times it's been there recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭50HX

Not going

After the gouging that went on last year with getting bark mulch to stands they can keep it.

Balmoral or Tullamore from now on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭morphy87

not going, and I won’t be missing much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭yewdairy

A lot of the bigger agri companies not attending this year. Not going myself. But with the weather they will get a huge crowd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The shine is gone off it with a lot of the big agriculture crews not going & some of the cattle societies not going.. watching the greed of the organisers over the last few years is a lesson on how to kill the golden goose. No going either.. Tullamore is a far better day out for a guy like me who is more interested livestock than trade stands..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Have a couple of things in mind I wouldn't mind checking out. If I can get someone to drive I might go! Kids are abit young to drag around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Ha I’d forgotten about the Bark Mulch. The McHughs were charging the same price for it as Caviar according to my neighbour 😂

Won’t be going, haven’t been there in about 10 years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can't remember when I was there last, it was pre covid anyway. Will probably go Tuesday.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

it’s only a few miles from me and I won’t be goin. Haven’t been in 10 years. Not a fan of the mchuges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

we came back a day early to take the Tuesday off for ploughing.

I’m going to give it a miss I think- OH is working so I’d be bringing the 3 or leaving her home all evening without help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

On a side note - any of ye heading to ploughing and intend on visiting the Dept stand (DAFM) to sort out issues with SFP/BISS ect, don't forget to bring your AGFOOD log in details - username, PAC number and password.

That’s not a bad idea. I’m waiting on entitlements to be transferred from myself to myself (don’t ask!) so I might call into their tent and see if I can squeeze them a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

After last year's disgraceful carry on from a few lads with tractors that were charging up to 70 euro to pull people out after getting stuck ill never again set foot at it.

Money grabbing bastards who hadn't the respect for their customers to lay on a couple of tractors so people didn't have to get screwed by some gurriers looking for an easy killing, the day was expensive enough with bringing young lads and buying stuff but that took the biscuit, they can have at it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Danny healy ray

no way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭StoutPost

One year I went to hammer out a GLAS issue and left thinking I had a great job of work done. Never, ever heard from those people again. I would sooner sort an issue privately now rather than queuing at the ploughing to talk to the unaccountable class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You were taking to the same people whether in your opinion privately or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Going Tuesday with the kids. Great day out, something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭StoutPost

Only possibly as the reps sent to the ploughing weren't the only ones working in the section. Progress depends either on luck/who you get or how brave you are/what you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Was planning on going wednesday but had a blow out this evening and when I got home the missus's car engine sounds like a bag of spanners. Her dad has a garage so will be getting a car from him to tide us over but it'll be a trip to mayo after work tomorrow to collect it.

Might just use Wednesdays annual leave day to catch up on my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Against my better judgement, I'm going. Have been offered a free ticket and a lift with a lad with an exhibitors pass. In no way shape or form would I spend money to go to it. But since it's free, I'll go with a couple of lads and arse around for the day. Look at a few things, try get a few pints and get fed on the way home. I'd only recognise @Siamsa Sessions from on here so if I see ya, I'll give an hello if he's not surrounded by the YouTube groupies.

There's nothing there I want to see, or no one I want to discuss things with. The days of thrashing out deals at this event are well and truly over for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Everyone says they are not going yet every year the place is thronged. Maybe it's the Internet, but the ploughing deals can easily be bettered my most online places.

That said not I'm going this year either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Being a contrarian, I will rebel against the general negativity here and proclaim that I am going Wednesday, will enjoy myself to the hilt on what should be a lovely fine day, interact with all kinds of wonderful people and exhibitors, admire the skill of the ploughing participants and take pleasure in all the goods and machinery on display.

So there!

• Advertisement

You're too kind 😀

I'm 100% sure I'll never have groupies but even if I did, they'd be 20 years late at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr..

Not going, Tulamore Show is as good and lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Teemarie

Can I ask re tickets. I'm working at it on Thursday for few hours and plan to bring two 12 year old (nearly 13)...it says u12 are free? Do you know if this means 12 year old pay? 12 year old are nearly 13 so wouldn't look u12....just want to know in case tickets sell out and need to purchase beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

I think it's 12 and under are free but have to be accompanied by an adult ticket as well as the free 12 year old ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Myself and the father will head up tomorrow. Last minute decision, I'll head off after the cows. There's nothing really catching my eye, I might have a look at a few slats and generators

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

no need to be a contrarian at all. If ya want to go then why not. I hope you enjoy every bit of it.
    i was actually going to go but im going to Liverpool on Friday for the weekend and just flat out at work so can’t take another day off.

Hope you enjoy the ploughing as much as I’ll enjoy Anfield 😊😊

• Advertisement

on the shuttle bus here in portlaoise waiting to be dropped out to ploughing. Only for all the teenagers on it there would be less than 10 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Past through Tullamore there at 7 on my way to Limerick.. traffic a wee bit heavier than normal but the Gardai are starting to set up to direct traffic. I see the Gatzo Vans are out along the way to catch anyone with a heavy right foot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

At the ploughing here now. The weather is everything for these type of events. Everyone smiling and enjoying the sun. Queue for cones at 10am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

is it as tiny as it looks in the map, around 8 rows wide and 5 rows deep?

• Advertisement

It all looks huge to me here. Rows and blocks and stand numbers and I can’t really follow the layout. Might just head back to the beer tent again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Farmer Dan

portlaoise train station and dropped at rathneskia gaa pitch. Picks you up there in tmreturn journey

were they the double deck red bussed I saw a picture off?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

2015 v 2022 v 2024

yes and corduff travel ferrying for them also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

hi lads, going tomoro.. have 2 adult tickets.. do i need to get tickets for my 2 children that are u12.. i know they have free entry.. just wondering do they need a ticket?

don’t think so, I’m the same and could t see anything to buy kids free passes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Left home at 8am, parked up at 9.35, in the gates at 10 am, interviewed by RTE at 10.10 am. We had it all seen by 4, back in the car by 4.45, home by around 6.20. A lot of the car stands were missing. The main thing I was looking at were generators and tele porters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement