Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody heading to the the Ploughing 2024?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

did you have all what you wanted to see or all what was there seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Totally agree with the price gouging but kids want to go so it making memory time. If they were not going it would be a definite no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

I genuinely thought people here were complaining about nothing until I went today, if you took the sport shops and the various government organisations out of it there wouldn’t be much there. Was hoping to see more pre-cast companies, cattle and machinery there, not really a day out for farmers anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tullamore show was very good this year with all the tractor brands represented. Even the Chinese. And then the irish machinery stands. Concrete crowds were all there too. I had a feeling seeing them there that they made the decision to go to the tullamore as an instead of the ploughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

the Agri side is gone small. Didn’t see one merchant or Agri company like that. Very much the likes of sports wear, hurls, food stalls, and government agencies. Defo not worth €25 in my opinion

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I made the trip today for the first time since either 2018/19. Left home here before 7am and between stopping for a breakfast roll in Roscommon town and traffic it was nearly half 10 before we were in the gate. It was as good a day as came all year weather wise and almost too hot.

Perhaps it's my imagination but I thought it was slightly bigger other years but it could have been the greater variety of stands that was missing. The livestock side of it is gone very poor imo, not much of a representation of cattle especially. I'm not a machinery man but there wasn't as much as previous years either I thought. As other posters have pointed out if you took the government organisations and stalls selling tools and clothes out there'd be little else to walk around.

I got a look at the new lifting deck sheep trailer on offer from Mtec, hopefully it can offer an Irish alternative at a more affordable price and greater availability then the current British offerings. Apart from that I can't say I seen anything that I classed as new or noteworthy but again I'm more of a livestock man. Very little jeeps on display so I couldn't window shop there either.

Overall I had a nice day but I wouldn't be rushing back next year or the year after. Seeing as we passed directly by the rock of Dunamase on the way home I decided to walk to the top of it. I've often driven by it but never fully appreciated what it would have been like when it was in its heyday. I don't think you could ask for a better day to take in the view. Having said that I was more than a little jealous of the surrounding farmland compared to the cabbage gardens we have to deal with about home, it's a different world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭fulldnod

Went today, first time in 6/7 years, load of rubbish unless ure a teenager, it's less than 50% agri now, i couldn't believe it, won't be back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Kevcol

My parents are getting the train to Portlaoise but the return shuttle bus is booked out online. Surely they won't be leaving people stranded at train station? Does anyone know if there's plenty buses or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Was there today also . I’ve been going every year for 25 years . Perfect weather and very well organised . Excellent land . But it is going downhill with every passing year . Were Angus the only cattle society that had a stand ? We’re New Holland the only stand with new tractors ?
    As others have posted, if you took out the sportswear and food stalls there is now very little for the average farmer .

Also what was the story with the speed vans ?

• Advertisement

where’s it headed next year? Said it’s the last year in Stradbally. Came through a grass field from the car park absolutely plastered in fairly recent cow pads: I totally understand these are working farm lands but that seemed poor to me and disrespectful to people paying top dollar to attend this. Surely things could be planned better there for such a big event

unless you live reasonably close by its really not worth the bother. Most of us only go because we have some work duty there. Pity anyone stuck there for the full three days or more

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I had a grand walk around in the sunshine and a pint while listening to The Whistling Donkeys, but that was about as good as it got.

It’s more like a circus for teenagers than a farm event now. Glorified hawkers and chip vans everywhere.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Heading up tomorrow. Any needs for the wellies?

none whatsoever. You’d be mad to wear them. Totally dry and clean which was a pleasant change

I reckon if you took out the handy government cash this thing wouldn’t survive. Very few private sector companies have anything like them unless actively selling volume.
    The cynic in me tells me this is a political favouritism and stroke to keep the mchugh mafia onside as this is a useful outing for the establishment and that’s why they waste prob millions of taxpayers annually on empty temples to themselves there. People operating in the real world just can’t do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Agree with what others have said about it losing the appeal to the farmers, and the government agencies propping it up.

Only for I was working there I wouldn't have bothered.

They're down Tirlan, Aldi, and a bunch of livestock, tractor and car stands since last year alone.

If that trend were to continue for another year, it could have a snowball effect and the McHugh empire could be in its final phase very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Critical mass not having stands and it wouldn't be long to snowball like the LSL saga

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My teenage lad went off today with his pals. His Ag Science class weren't going and he wanted to go himself.

I've taken him a few years so he knew what to expect. But he was disappointed. He's not the type of teen to want to go to the hurdy gurdies. He'd prefer to be going around the trade stands shooting the breeze with the exhibitors.

They left early because they had walked around the whole place 3 times. He listed off all the stands he saw in the past that weren't there today. Even Aldi were missing!

Glorious weather and excellent conditions under foot but disappointing content.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Did any of ye attending actually watch any ploughing.

We've a few friends competing tomorrow in the Loy section - hopefully they do well.

completely forgot about it. I came from the Kilkenny side so I think that was possibly up the other end. If I can avoid it I won’t be going any time soon

• Advertisement

excellent weather and conditions, reasonably well organised but poor content would sum it up.
    My last one was 2019 Carlow and it’s gone down a lot since then. The car manufacturers have all but abandoned it. I saw a smallish Toyota and Volvo stand. That was it. Used to enjoy those. Likes if Renault and Nissan used to have massive temples not so long ago. Think Colm Quinn bmw used to also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 jambon0104

What's the reason for the big companies not being there is it money or younger generation crowds attending. W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You got to be joking as it's self explanatory "The National Ploughing Championships". Your recent comment about stepping around fresh cow dung tells it's own tale.

as I said I understand why but in an event at this level it’s poor planning to have cars parked in a field teaming with cow shite. They have 12 months - poor communication- people are paying a lot of money to attend so why have to step around fairly fresh cow pads. Grass is tight at the moment but surely It could be avoided

return on investment. Not worth it for what they get back or potentially lose. Can spend the money better and more effectively elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

Anna May McHugh and her pricing structure is the main reason.

It's obviously alot cheaper for tullamore then for a company to have a stall

Somewhere between 10 and 15% of the price of the ploughing for the same size stand.

Not really like the vast majority that go it is for the trade event - that’ll be borne out by the small numbers you’d see out at the ploughing itself.
    Not sure what “tale” that tells exactly? If i wanted to step in or step around cow shite I could do it at home for free

• Advertisement

Obviously Tullamore is only one day versus 3 at the ploughing but it’s still a massive difference.

What’s the LSL saga?
    These events aren’t a given to survive-just look at the RDS spring show. That was an absolute fixture of the farm calendar in my parents younger time

Is there any chance tullamore will move to 2 day there has to be room in the market now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Been going ploughing with over 40 years and have seen some changes in that time.we take completely for granted now the organisation and management that goes into the event .people complain alot about the cost but any event you d go to now bar some community type thing would cost you away more. The reason companies are moving away from it is it does cost alot -not all the npas fault and companies can now reach their market alot of ways.before it was nearly the only way to get a new idea to market.it was obvious yesterday there was no buying going on with farmers yesterday and the companies knew that coming to the ploughing and make decisions based on cost /benifit.its a bit like st Patrick's day though in that for 1 day Ireland gets a bit of PR around the world on the.strength of it and in the same way farming gets a bit of media attention in ireland while it's on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭flyer_query

I’d find that very hard to believe that’s a wild number you have posted.

Still plenty of good trade stands at the ploughing both big and small, why would they bother based on all the exaggerated doomsday talk on here about only school kids and wild prices like you posted.

Can never understand why some farmers hate it so much, they will still go every other year and then tell everyone and anyone that they won’t go again but yet will. Weird behaviour

Post edited by flyer_query on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I was told 55k for a cattle stand, hard to see the justification in paying that to the mc hughs

To add to my earlier post, I’m definitely calling exaggerated pub talk on the crazy %s you pulled out your ass!

No way a 90% difference when you factor a 3 day v 1 day show.

Probably a big difference for livestock because it’s clear the ploughing don’t want it versus one of the main selling points of the Tullamore show. Plus the honesty is livestock lads don’t want to go, they have big hassle of minding cattle far away for 2 or 3 days verus the light hassle of Tullamore. I think that’s a big part of it.

https://www.tullamoreshow.com/trade-exhibitors/guidelines

https://www.npa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/OUTDOOR-Exhibition-Rate-Card-2024.pdf

https://www.npa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/LIVESTOCK-Exhibition-Rate-Card-2024-2.pdf

Post edited by flyer_query on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

If that's anything like true, I'd love to see the total paid by State organisations.

Numerous Departments, Bord Bia, Teagasc, UCD, SETU RSA, Defence forces to name just a few. Must run into a couple of million at least.

Granted some of them have to be there,but d say it iwould make the bike shed look like value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

I sincerely hope farmers don’t bother buying anything there for their own sake, i priced slats 2 weeks ago in a number of places, 2 of them were at the ploughing, one was €400 more expensive the other was €1250 more expensive than the price I got from them a few weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Had everything seen, took our time and chatted to a few people we knew. Very little in it that interested us. There was a lot of stands selling solar panels. No modular homes compared to last year. Plenty of stands selling hurleys and jerseys. We has no issues with traffic in or out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Neighbour went down yesterday.

Shocking drop in agri focused stands - particularly machinery. Many brands and dealers not there this year.

Ppl not willing to pay Anna May mad prices for little to no arising business.

Glorified day out for secondary school kids

- big gangs of unruly teenagers rushing around like headless chickens. No sign of teachers/mentors.

Lots of low quality rubbishy “tat” stands selling Hurleys, walking sticks novelty cowboy hats, candy floss etc.

A dodgy element from a certain ethnic group hanging around the car parks watching and sussing out everything - be aware

Very very average mickeys chipper van type offerings asking for crazy prices for even a cup of tea or coffee.

He arrived down at 11 - had the whole thing seen by 2:30 - said NO WAY was it worth the entrance fee.

The McHugh dynasty are laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭I says

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

IFA had a cathedral there too - grand few days out for their civil service types in Bluebell to show the skulls the great work they’re apparently doing.

It’d be more in their line to hire a PR guru to speak for farmers in the media. Give him/her €100k instead of giving it to the McHughs every year.

I’ll be asking at the next IFA monthly meeting how much it costs to go to the ploughing

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

iv always felt they should pay someone articulate to speak in the media but guys that become president have big egos no matter how dumb they sound

• Advertisement

I was involved in trade stands for over 15 years with a company I was working with at the time. I’d know a lot of the owners and reps on the agri trade stands at the ploughing on a first name basis and they know me likewise.

But hey, you toddle on to the pub and get your news there if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

TThe Vice president is a great speaker and a woman too

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭farmertipp

iv heard her and well able to make her point in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The rate cards are below, again you are talking out your rear end with your claim that a stand in Tullamore is 85% to 90% cheaper versus the ploughing.

There are multiples of reasons as to why plenty of agri companies no longer bother with the ploughing (3 day commitment, better targeted shows for their target audience like the machinery show in punchestown, internet, preference for a 1 day show like Tullamore, weather risk etc etc) but your claim is pure pub talk. Be man enough to admit you either made it up or heard a daft story and you choose to spread it. Dont be so gullible next time

https://www.tullamoreshow.com/trade-exhibitors/guidelines

https://www.npa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/OUTDOOR-Exhibition-Rate-Card-2024.pdf

• Advertisement
Advertisement