Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody heading to the the Ploughing 2024?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

To wind people even more up. I've just been informed that it costs 7 euro to drive a stake for anyone that has a stand at the ploughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That probably includes the cost of the post, which will be used again next year

They said it was just to drive. So I presume the npa own the post. Drive and hire cost of a stake maybe.

The source would be as tillage advocats as anyone could be. But even they said they'd recommend tullamore over the ploughing to anyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

100% agree with both posts.

Whoever gets elected president seems to think going on RTE is a perk of the job and I'm sure all his "executives" in Bluebell tell him he did well on it the following day. So obviously he assumes he's "good with the media".

And Alice Doyle is a genuinely good public speaker. She's also different from the usual middle-aged-man-in-navy-suit types. I say this as a 47-year-old-man who owns a navy suit. It'd be harder for the likes of John Gibbons to position himself as the spokesman for victims of farming if he was facing Alice Doyle.

Anyway, we're getting side-tracked from the ploughing. I've asked in our county WhatsApp group if anyone has an idea of costs for the IFA "tent" at the ploughing and if there's no info I'll be putting forward a motion on same at the next monthly meeting. Not sure it'll get much support but I'll ask anyway.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭yewdairy

Didnt go this year, I was never too bothered about it and no one in the house wanted to go.

Two lads I know work in ag companies that no longer attend. It's the cost of staffing and the stand is the reason they no longer attend. Apparently 100k would be total cost of a mid sized tent when everything is included.

I went a few years ago when we were doing a new milking parlour. Not a single call back from any company I spoke to at the ploughing.

When I did the deal on the milking machine I asked the rep why they never got back to me after my inquiry at the ploughing he said they get so many tyre kickers that it is impossible to follow up on everyone that left there number at the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'm alive to retell my tales.

Rose out the bed at 5:30am yesterday morning, went to get grub but nothing in the house (I'll have words with the mother when she returns from her holidays). Horsed on some P20 (that's suncream for the lads at the back) and waited for my lift to arrive. 6:20am, on the road. Went to pick up another lad and when we got to his place the hoor was still in bed. Eventually he was out, and off we went. We were only about 15 miles away and know all the backroads over to get close. Parked up in the exhibitors car park and across to gate #2. 7:15 the watch said and already people queuing. Helped a couple of lads buy tickets online while we waited to save them a fiver each paying at the gate. Great chats in the morning sun till 8am.

As the clock struck 8, the "beep beep beep" of scanning machines could be heard as they whirred into action. In we flew, straight for grub. The food truck was clearly visible from the entrance gate, the steam and smoke wafted towards us and my belly thought my throat was cut. €15 for a bottle of water and a sausage/rasher/pudding roll on yesterdays bread. The 2 lads I was with both agreed we got rode. Both then dropped fillings on the ground to make matters worse. Ya'd swear it was their first day to eat. Onwards to get coffee across the way where "Mr. No Craic" barista man handed out coffee with the same enthusiasm a small child would have if they were told to go out and drown kittens.

Spent a while at Wilson engineering. Was impressed with their bale trailer and low loader. Stopped in Laois Hire for a spell to look at the new Laois jersey that was to be launched later in the day. It is cat. Spent an age in the innovation tent and spoke to everyone there. Wasn't blown away by anything in it. FarmFlix were recording while we were there. Opposite side of that tent had small booths and spoke to a lad with a laser gadget for meal bins. Good product but at €1400 to buy and €175/annum subscription, it was a hard no from us. RTE tent was near there and thought it was fitting that it looked like a circus. Stayed strolling, stopping, talking, strolling, stopping. One of the lads would see something and go off in and get info while the remaining 2 would hang around nearby looking at what was around. Coffee and muffin at 10am, and more walking. Spent a bit of time at the McHale stand. Told the reps on the Malone stand that I don't like the mower I have belonging to them. Looked at a sliding gate. Spoke to reps for solar farms. Quizzed lads about underground precast tanks. Beer tent for 4 pints and the Whistlin' Donkeys. Food and walking again.

Said I'd get a nice little bodywarmer for the baby but the ignorant gimp selling them put me off so left them there. Had instructions to go to O'Neills from the wife to pick up a few things but it was manic busy, big queue and too nice outside to be wasting time there (she wasn't happy when I told her I skipped it). Few more pints with the Tumblin Paddies. More walking. Getting quieter now as it was near 5. Spoke to a girl presenting Bord Bia survey results in the Organic tent and called bullshit on her figures. She even agreed the questions in the survey were loaded. Spoke to another girl selling Waterford whiskey which tasted good. Apparently they follow the moon cycles for sowing and harvesting. Sounded a bit wishy washy. Bought a few bits of workclothes which were keenly priced at that hour of the evening. More pints and left at half 6. Few more pints on the way home and in bed for midnight.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed it. So much so I was contemplating paying the 25 notes to go again tomorrow. If I'd paid it yesterday I'd have came away saying it was money well spent. It wasn't as crowded which makes a huge difference. I didn't see any unruly behaviour. Lots of teens but all in good form I thought. Beer tents were on top of their game checking ID. Could go into any tent and be out with pints in <5 minutes anytime of day. There isn't much machinery but knew that going. Did hear a couple of the cattle stands were given free of charge to encourage them back. Traffic and parking was easy peasy. Spoke to reps and companies I'd never heard of. It helps though going with 3 others who all have different things to see and different outlooks. It brings you into contact with people and things you wouldn't normally consider. The sunshine of course helps and brings a more jovial atmosphere to proceedings. The government stands are propping a lot of the show up. Only seen RTE and Midlands103. Didn't see any other broadcaster. Lidl had a much smaller tent and no other big retailer. Take away the clothes, knick knacks and rubbish, the show would be very small then. It was physically smaller with less trade areas.

I'm happy I went. Onwards to next year when it moves from Laois and back to Tullamore (I'm led to believe anyway so lets' say it's 90% nailed on)

Anyone show reading this post either the ploughing committee or tullamore.

Will ye provide a lock place bike shelter right at the grounds where people can put their ebikes safely. The walk from the carparks is always a talking point. And perhaps the traffic out after.

If people could bike from the far reaches of the carpark or beyond outside to the entrance it would mean a lot. All it means is people bring their bike with them on their car rack.

Cheers.

I won't charge anyone for copyrights on that idea.

Another idea is people bring their own camping equipment and have their own fry and tea on their mobile stove. Just when they arrive on site.

Another free idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Suckler

I went down yesterday and will go back tomorrow to buy a few bit's. Walked the length and breath of it yesterday so will hit the stands I only need to tomorrow and get out early.

There's little changed in the last 5(?) years but then again you know what to expect. The weather brought out families and kids/schools. To be fair to the comment above - I didn't see any 'unruliness' from any kid's - just teens being teens like we all were. The whole thing needs to decide what it is;

• Make it a 4/5 day event with Friday/Saturday being the family days.
    • Introduce the camping option mentioned above.
    • Arrange it in to zones. I get it's called the Ploughing and was originally an Agri event but it's grown arms and legs now. Agri/Construction/Politics/Religious/artisan & local food/technology/sports/media etc. etc. could/should have their own dedicated zones.
    • Food - shite food at high prices. Friend of mine got stung for a pathetic bacon roll for €8. The steak sambo used to be a fair day staple but they've gotten thinner by the year. There used to be loads of options, now its 99% burger & chips - they have they're place, not everyone wants artisan/speciality etc. but, for the food producing label we give ourselves, our biggest Agri event was no show case for it.
    • Machinery - Valtra, Kubota & New Holland were the only/stand out tractor stands I can recall. Kvernland/Fleming/Red Rock/Krone/Abbey etc. had the usual decent displays. I wasn't in the market for machinery this year so wasn't paying as much attention.
    • A lot more stalls selling LED lights, signs, camera etc. I thought.
    • There were fewer garden pod/wood cabin type vendors
    • The fair ground was set well enough away.
    • The vintage was set back away which I thought was unfortunate. It also needs a rethink; same old square layout that gets bigger every year resulting in the thrashing in the middle becoming too far for older people who'd be more likely to be down there.
    • Edit - They need to bring quality machinery demos back in to it somehow.

My 2c's anyway; might be more tomorrow.

Post edited by Suckler on

• Advertisement

What ever about the IFA Cathedral - The biggest faux pas had to be RTE.

They've been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons of late - what type of tent did they pick for themselves…..a circus tent.

FFS. Talk about painting a target on your back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree the food has gone downhill. There was a period when you could get a very nice fancy burger etc but that all seems to have changed again for the worse. I got a a Chinese rice and chicken and it was pretty bad now- the worst Chinese take away level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

walked by that - again must cost an absolute fortune- state subsidy to the Mchughs via the taxpayer in my opinion. The state largesse now sticks out like a sore thumb at this event as there’s so few companies that have to pay their way in the real world with anything like the state bodies have. It’s rotten and very bad value for the taxpayer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Submit a few FOI requests and you'll get your total paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭grass10

Very good points made by you and totally agree about moving towards including a weekend format I was their aswell yesterday spent 7 hours their and didn't even get around to all the stands as it's very easy spend 30 minutes at a stand if you're actually interested in the product and talking to reps anyone that says they saw it all in 2/3 hours should really stay at home

If you did all the stands in 1 day excluding the crap ones selling rubbish etc you'd be good and tired by evening and then you have all the ploughing the vintage area and the hunt chase to occupy you a second day if you wanted, lads seem to forget that their is summer shows on with the last 4 months nationwide with cattle on display every weekend with machinery on display at all these events we all know their is less tractors on display but how many farmers are actually thinking about buying a tractor anyway I have all the main machinery brands selling within 40 minutes of me anyway so if I want to have a look at some brand of tractor I can just go to my local garage anyway a lot of lads just like to complain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭I says

I’m getting old and I’m wrecked after all the walking yesterday. No stock to look at for an hour to take some time off from walking. Got in at 8am had young lad with me. RIP off breakfast rolls €7 each they stood at the door putting in the sausage and bacon, got him sorted Oneills, farmer Phil various hurl and sliotar sellers. All artisans selling codswallop that suits car boot sales better. Take out the gov agencies and that’s at least one full row gone. Very disappointed with the lay out. For whatever reason last year seemed easier navigate or it’s because they was more of interest to me last year. Probably walked for the sake it it hopeing to find something of note. Take out the teenagers the crowd would be halved. The shuttle bus was fierce handy. Food stalls and ice cream sellers the big winners. But as other posters have said 4/5 hrs and you e had enough of it.
    I don’t know what it is but it’s very distant from ploughing or farming now. Maybe call it an Irish fair with something for everyone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

An over-the-top big top! I walked past it and thought I was seeing things.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

a few interesting FOI would be how much the state agencies are giving over to Anna May and - is there any sense of value for money or simply “ah sure it’s a jolly we have to go there”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Im on the train from Dublin to cork at the moment. Most of the seats are reserved from portlaoise for ploughing attendees to get on.

The peace will be broken 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Was talking only recently enough to the CFO of one of the main car brands. They were shelling out about 300K to have the stand and setup for the 3 days. The return was just not in it, but they felt they had to be there as alot of the competition were. I get the impression a few of them got together a decided to pull the plug.

Pulled into portlaoise . Hundreds of school kids.... Could it get any worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Tippman24

And you still have 90 minutrs of it to get to Cork!!!.

I used to go to the Ploughing every year, but gave up on it about 2 years ago. There was nothing to see from a farming point of view. I was told that a few of the A.I. companirs got together a 3/4years ago and decided that rathrr than have 6/7seperate tents they would hire one large tent and devide up the cost of the tent hire. They then went to the McHughs with this and were told to foxtrot oscar. I dont think that any of them.attend now.

I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Tileman

was at it today .like others have said it is a far cry from its peak several years ago. It is more of a rural day than an agri day now. To be honest if you took out all the sports and govt stuff there would not be a huge left in it. The weather definitely helped make it so enjoyable but it was a little subdued in afternoon I thought Def not much business being done..

Despite that I did enjoy it and the kids enjoyed it. They met farmer Phil and Glynn from sheep Shepard, got great fun in the engineering Ireland tent with the VR headsets and the space equipment, had great fun in the south east technology tent making their own match attack profiles and response tests , had 15 mins in amusements, . Kids bought a new hurl as one broke on Monday night at match.

I got to price a roller door for shed, prices a bit of fencing, and the jfc tent was good. Also went to dept of ag tent about issue with payment but not so sure how successful that was . Overall it was a very enjoyable day but very different from what going to the ploughing use to mean.

But for the kids it was a good memory of their visit to the ploughing. Having said that it will probably do me for a couple of years again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Followed up by expenses incurred, with travel looked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

Jeez some of you actually think the people manning the stands would be happy enough to stay for day 4/5 just to be there for family day 😂

And the companies would be happy to shell out for an extra one or two days. Like hell they would.

• Advertisement

If it meant three days of concentrated business, not keeping an eye on kids clambering on machines etc. it would be workable. Plenty are still willing to shell out for the three days (and it's not even 3 days with the logistics of setup and removal etc.) The extra few days wouldn't be as big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

NPA are the ones who need to start thinking on their feet with stuff like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s the organisers of Tullamore and Charleville show etc etc who should be thinking on their feet and not follow the path the ploughing has gone down. Hawkers selling tat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,363 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I was on a train to Dublin this Paddy's Day. There was a carriage full of young uns going to a concert in Dublin. There was drink being supped from brown paper bags, music blaring, I suspect the odd sneaky pull on a vape. I sat there rolling my eyes for the first part of the journey but then I remembered 'Hey I was their age once and probably did similar and definitely enjoyed myself' so I sat back and people watched in nostalgia for the rest of the trip 😊

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Could not have put it better myself. They are kids. Let them be kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Just my opinion;

1. A three day exhibition event is not a "Jolly" for the exhibitors, be the industry or government. Its fu0king hell standing around there, time stands still.
    2. The prices are not an Irish thing. Went to Hannover for an industry exhibition, similar to the ploughing but it would take three days to see every vendor. Water was €6 for a 250ml bottle. That is €24 a litre. Hotel was €460 a night for a dingy room in the basement, with a bathroom with dirty blue sink/toilet/shower next door to a knocking shop, that I didn't avail of. If you have experienced old German hotels, you know the experience.. Gouged out of it left right and centre.
    3. As for exhibitors costs. The cost of a plot, and the cost of setting up, feeding, housing, tents, moving machinery etc. and accommodating people for a three day even are not the same. It might be X for a plot, but the total cost to attend is something else. Like with like should be compared.

Thanks for the price lists. What I took from looking at them is that the ploughing is very expensive. Having a stand at a cross roads at a track way would be €€€. I recall last year someone saying that they knew of someone who mentioned that the mulch could only be got from a npa approved company. The npa list proves this right. I can imagine the likes of Aldi were working of a Aldi list for the ploughing. And all the talk of the Aldi tent, and then they pull plant. The Tullamore show prices look very reasonable. Not sure if the Tullamore prices were plus vat or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Who Ate The Cat

Those pics are a bit like how many turned up at Trumps inauguration in January 2017😅

Sean Spicer has likely giving the NPA a heads up on damage control.

Parts of Laois, where I'm from are mountainy and poor land. But we always managed like you do. And had money when 'the boys in the better land' had none. They wouldn't survive where we do.

The kilkenny cat..

they say the same about the people around bilboa in Carlow. They came down from the mountain and became successful business people on the lowlands of Carlow.

Oh fair enough. I took you up wrongly.

I don't mean to belittle anyone in good land but it's a different ball game in poor hilly wet land. As you say it makes managers.

That's interesting about Bilboa.

I never behaved like that. I grew up in a generation where we respected people older than us. Anyways, wait till the principal of the Sem in Killarney gets my email tomorrow. He'll be delighted watching the behaviour of his precious pupils 😡

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 manno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

went yesterday for the 1st time in 15 years… a great day out.. getting in and getting out was easy and hassle free… kids had a great time.. there 1st ploughing.. pity about the lack of farm machinery on show..

my only complaint is why is alcohol being served there… makes no sense to me serving alcohol at an agri show… should be banned

Post edited by awaywithyou on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭lmk123

Ah FFS will you just forget it and leave them alone, we were all young once

We were, but we didn't all act like we were cast members of "lord of the flies" .

If a few of them got together a decided to pull the plug, they'd be breaking competition law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How is it breaking competition law by not going to the ploughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Surely you are joking!! A decision to avoid a trade show equates to a distortion of trade? You talk some awful tripe on Boards…

If a number of independent players in a market get together to make ANY business decision, such as booking a trade show or agreeing employee wage levels or setting prices or agreeing distribution channels, they would be breaching competition law.

Each of them are fully entitled to make their own decisions about going to the ploughing. If they make a group decision, they're breaching competition law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,876 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sister went today - numbers down on other times apparently

Advertisement