Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody heading to the the Ploughing 2024?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭road_high

despite the amazing weather numbers are well back it seems. Wonder are schools clamping down on numbers- didn’t seem that many the first day but last one I was at was in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

hahahahaha. Yeah.

Really the conversation was

”we only go cos you do and we don’t want to be the big supermarket not there”

“what????that’s why we go. It s total waste of money, we wish none of ye were going”

“right **** it we all skip it, we all save”

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Aravo

+1

First time I've ever ignored a poster. And it's AJR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Get out your statute book there and let me know where it states anything remotely related to trade shows. Setting prices or wages or things to distort competition is a breach for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'all agreements between undertakings, decisions by associations of undertakings and concerted practices which have as their object or effect the prevention, restriction or distortion of competition in trade in any goods or services in the State or in any part of the State are prohibited and void'

https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/act/24/section/4/enacted/en/html#sec4

• Advertisement

Ya better take a case. Let us know how it goes. The barrister in the house here is amused by your understanding of the law and how skipping a trade show is somehow breaching competition law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

You're getting mixed up with "price fixing", say a few suppliers said they wont sell below €x per kg. And a buyers group saying they will work together to get a bulk discount. As I understand it, there is nothing wrong with a buyers group. Maybe you can correct me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

Its prevention of the retailer, not the consumer. If not myself and the wife could be done for not buying a ton of fert because it was too expensive. We can group together with neighbours and ask for the best price. Is that illegal?

I'd need to have some actual evidence, not second hand gossip. I'm sure the barrister in your house would have a good laugh at how you had to change the story to make it sound better.

It is grouping together to put pressure on the seller (the ploughing) through a concerted decision not to buy the service (exhibition space).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭queueeye

Went today because of the fine weather and the fact that the kids wanted to.
    The traffic plan etc was great and there was a big crowd.
    However, as others have said, it’s not a patch on what it used to be. No cattle apart from a few AA and some shorthorns. Very little machinery, if it wasn’t for McHale, kverneland, Amazone and WR Shaw there would have been no big brands there.
    Could honestly have the whole thing seen in a few hours.

Can’t argue with the attendance but it's not a farmers show like it used to be.

Won’t be going again unless pester power wins out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭DBK1

Did you ever hear the saying “there’s more ways of choking a cat than with butter!”

The NPA take that approach. That might be the rates for the stand space, add on water and power which don’t have to be paid for at Tullamore. Then add on the real money maker, the bark mulch that has to be bought from the certified supplier of bark mulch at extortionate prices, who just happens to be part of the family. They also supply a lot less exhibitor badges for stand spaces so you’ve to buy more, no complimentary show tickets that traders can give to their customers so these have to be bought as well. It’s all extra money.

Compare that to Tullamore where the rates are negotiable, they actively have board members canvassing machinery dealers and manufacturers to take stand space. They’ll throw in extra space free of charge, give more passes, tickets etc to persuade you to have a stand there. Fair play to them for taking that approach I say, it’s working for them. You’ll get no negotiating with the NPA, it’s take it or leave it and big numbers of companies are deciding to leave it because it’s not worth it to them, talk to them and ask them direct and don’t be worrying about the pubs, that’ll get you nowhere.

For what it’s worth I was at the ploughing yesterday and left it quite happy after an enjoyable day. Got there around 11, zero traffic delays, walked no more than 400 yards from the car to the entrance. I went as I want to upgrade a crush and fit rubber mats in a shed so this was what I wanted to see. The gate I went in through was where all the cattle handling stands were which was the opposite end of the stands to where the O’Neills, Elverys, Lidl etc were so it was relatively quiet as all the crowd was the far end. Within 5 mins of walking in I was talking to reps on the items I wanted to see and got prices etc. I probably spent an hour and a half in them first 2 rows and talked to all the companies I had gone to see, great job! Decided to get something to eat then and got a breakfast roll after queuing for about 5 mins for €7 and it was cooked fresh due to the time of the day it was and was cooked to perfection! You’d pay a fiver in a filling station for one so I think €7 was good value for the ploughing. I went around the machinery stands then, studied any of the rear discharge spreaders that were there as our own is getting shook now and chatted a few reps and that.

Headed for the bar then, Whistling Donkeys were playing to a big crowd and were creating a mighty atmosphere! The bar was done very well, railings put up so you queued in single file, got your drink and left the bar area. There was no one allowed stay standing at the bar to have their drink so there was no delays or squeezing in by people trying to catch a bar man’s attention so it worked very well and you’d be no more than a couple of mins to get a drink even when it was at its busiest. After 2 pints, we had another look through some of the stands and headed back to the car around half 5. Queued for about 10 mins to get out of the car park and no delays once we hit the road. All in all it was as good a day as I’ve had in the ploughing in a number of years and I was happy I went.

One thing I have learned over the past few years is that the best way to enjoy the ploughing is don’t be trying to be there first and be sitting in the traffic and queues. Head in at 10 or 11 with no delays and you’ll be in better form from the very start!

Post edited by DBK1 on

I showed her the posts, no stories needed to be changed. It's not illegal for a group to get together to discuss things and make decisions to attend trade shows etc. There's no competition law being broken by not attending a trade show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I wonder did the reduced numbers have anything to do with the Burke one being there.jaysus she s hard going.give me eoin lynch any day

"There's no competition law being broken by not attending a trade show."

Quite correct.

The competition law gets broken by the group decision not to attend a trade show, or indeed to attend a trade show.

The issue isn't the trade show. The issue is the group of competitors making a concerted decision.

Incorrect. They aren't setting prices or costs or anything like that. It be like me and the lads having a chat and saying we aren't going to a pub to try sell raffle tickets. Anyway, make your case to the CCPC and see what they have to say on the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭flyer_query

would you stop talking “dung” like a good lad.

FYI as you are a general site troll and likely know nothing about farming, “dung” is the waste product of feed and animal excrement which is an apt summary of your contributions

You and the lads aren't businesses, so no, it wouldn't be like that at all at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

"called bullshit on her figures. She even agreed the questions in the survey were loaded. Spoke to another girl selling Waterford whiskey which tasted good."

The questions not the only thing that were loaded, of course she agreed with you!

Good post BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I remember in the early 90s there was a demo maize plot near one of the beer tents. Twas a great place for a bit of an oul shift and to spill your guts to make room for more pints. Ah the days …….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They say it was the inspiration for the film "Field Of Dreams".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

skipped last year as I’m too old for mud and hardship

Went on the Wednesday. Had a really good day.
    Arrived at 8:30, had a fry and out on stands by 9, leaving by 4 and traffic was easy in and out.

I’ve been critical of a few things in the past so I’ll admit they improved the show.

I could see a real effort to group similar stands together, machinery cattle, sheep and the tat stalls seemed separated so easy to see what you wanted and avoid the rubbish. I really liked that.

We headed in for a pint about 11:15, nice and quiet. We watched the bouncers and in fairness they were keeping a hard line checking ID and it showed later in the day, I only saw one young lad the worse for wear, it’s a major improvement than 10 years ago when there were kids puking their ring up behind most tents by 4pm.

We were looking at verge mulchers and while there were plenty on show I didn’t see any value. One stand were €400 dearer than their DoneDeal advertising on a 1.8meter machine. We wandered through the fencing stands and general tool stands and honestly you’d get stuff delivered to your door cheaper and not have to lug it about all day.

Not much stock on show I thought and that seems to be tapering off each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

The only dreams it inspired in me were wet ones….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭50HX

@_Brian

Is that no value on the verge mulcher with or without the grant?

Thinking of getting one but want to see it in use first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

ThiThinking the same.

what kind of money were ya talking brian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

any confirmation of venue for 2025 ploughing. Apart from the rumours of Tullamore I didn’t see anything confirmed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I've heard Tullamore mentioned too but, as you say, pure speculation at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fulldnod

I priced 3, jf tullamore 7k, talex 7.5k, masio 8.5k, all plus vat and minus the tams, I would be using to cut ditches, what are people's thoughts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

So say 10k ish

I'm thinking for roadsides, under fences and breasting the odd gap in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭fulldnod

Clontrac 2.2mtr with sideshift & tilt is 5500k, you can get TAMS then on that

I really liked the Ventura models. Seemed better built with heavier rotor and flails. €4K -€10k plus vat.

@_Brian thanks

The trim r200 is a nice looking machine & seems OK too at just over the tonne in weight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As, the OP who started the thread.

I didn't end up going in the end mainly due to family and slightly car issues.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

I’ll have to do some googling now you have me wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Is he the lad with all the Valtra's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

he was on facebook last couple years cutting the hole of the ploughing and those involved in organising it.. this year he had a stand selling those mulchers… and i read some comments by him there in last couple days where he said the ploughing was the greatest show on earth… enough said..!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The IFA are bought and paid for just like the government to push agenda 20/30 hence the reason that the IFA do nothing for farmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I used to think that getting a high entitlement was great but getting the same amount tax free is a whole new ballgame.

Someone must be working for me

Hopefully the rent will be higher on the next lease.

Advertisement