Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scam or harassment?

• 15-09-2024 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Last week got a call from 089 number. I've answered the phone and it was a woman claiming I rang her husband's number this morning. I said I never rang this number and first time see this number. She said yeah for sure and hanged up.

After that call I got a text on Whatsapp to leave her and her husband alone, otherwise I will regret it. I texted ber back that I don't know her and her husband, never contacted them etc.

Got more messages in similar tone. Blocked the number. Then I kept getting calls from unknown number. Went to my Eir (I have my mobile with them). They said it was probably scammers that spoofed my phone and ranged her. There is no log on my phone that I ever rang her husband's number.

So texted her that and said if she doesn't stop, I will report it to Gardai.

Then I kept getting messages from different numbers, it was her. What is she going to do to me when she finds me and she knows who I am.

Also got very nasty voice messages on Whatsapp that herself and ger sisters are going to find me and **** me up etc.

Went to Gardai and reported that. I was told it might take even few weeks to get her details from Tesco mobile operator (as that's Tesco's numbers). Till then I have to keep taking a screen shots everytime she text me and call me.

No idea if it is a new scam or what. If there really was another woman, shouldn't there be more than one missed call?

She said she has recorded my voice over the phone and that's the same as woman that was in her house, tried to kidnap her son and take her husband away.

It's now over a week, I'm getting very nervous and tensed everytime my phone rings.

I don't know who this woman is, she claims she knows me.

Can't change the number, I use it for my business and also wait for some appointments, most of the time they ring me with my appointment date.

Has anyone ever dealt with similar harassment? How long can it take to find her details?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

The original call was a scam call on a spoofed number.

You seem to have accidentally phoned someone who is either paranoid or in trouble of some sort.

Regardless, they don't know who you are and where you live. So just ignore them and they'll give up eventually. Do not engage any further with them, it will only encourage them

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Gabulek16

Thanks. My phone was spoofed. According to her, her husband got a missed call from me and then she rang me back.

Anyways I have reported it to Gardai. On Sunday I got 12 more calls from her. Gardai told me to answer the phone next time and tell her that I have reported it but it didn't make any difference.

I will report it everytime she contacts me. As it gets very annoying and I get very tensed everytime my phone rings.

I think it's something wrong with her as the story of her husband cheating on her after one missed call doesn't make any sense.

Heard that scammers use new AI technology now (not in my case). They track people, check they social media for video, uses AI to generate voice of someone from the family and friends and ring that person.

One guy got a call from his dead daughter saying she had an accident and needs money, few days after funeral. Scary! I think should be more info on those scam calls and AI technology.

So looks like this woman is not going to give up. Now she even calls at night time. 2 days ago it woke me up at 3:22am. Last night I had put my phone on mute.

Any idea how long it might take to retrieve her details from network operator?

I'm going back on Monday to Gardai to report more calls.

I'm after serious surgery, slowly recovering. Suffering enough with sleepless and pain. Don't need more problems. But seems like Gardai last time I went there, had no idea what to do. I was told not to answer the calls, she will give up. It's now nearly 3 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can eir not just block her number? Or you block it on your phone.

I have blocked her number. She calls from different numbers or Unknown number (blocks the number ID), and Eir can't block calls from Unknown number. I can't also block it on my phone as it will block calls from all unknown numbers and numbers I have not saved on my phone. I wait for some appointments after my surgery and mostly I get calls with appointments. I also have business and my clients often call me rather than email. So changing the number could couse me missing on appointments or loosing clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Keep reporting to Gardai - the more evidence you give them the more interest they’ll take - try and have a bit of faith they’ll do “something” at some stage- but I’m sure these things take time.

It’s a bit strange though that they keep harassing you - but stating clearly every time that every call has been logged recorded and reported should put the sh1ts up them .

I am going back again today. I was sick last week so couldn't go. I have printed all call logs, made a list of what days and how many times she rang me.

For the last 2 days I was awake few times at night, I thought my phone was ringing again.

I also thought she would give up, but no.

I'm more tensed, even jump sometimes when my phone rings.

We were in cinema on Friday, she rang me, so the whole movie was ruined as I couldn't focus on it anymore. Same was on Saturday when tried to spend some time with husband and enjoy our quiet evening. Even he was like what the hell, how many more times is she going to ring me.

I went to Gardai today to report more calls, just to find out that the Gardai I was talking to 2 weeks ago, never took any report of harassment from me, never put anything in the system. And Gardai I was talking today also hasn't taken report from me, he told me to come back on Friday when the other guy will be at work to talk to him.

I would ask my solicitor to get restraining order if I knew who this woman is. But I don't know, and no one actually cared enough to take my problem seriously.

Tbh I don't know what to do 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭dmakc

Restraining orders don't work in this country, has this person a WhatsApp photo if you search within that App?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Etc

Turn the tables on her, buy a whistle or something high pitched. When she call blow the whistle. It’s an old trick but very effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭mykrodot

leave your phone downstairs in the kitchen all night. Then it doesn't matter if she rings 150 times. Also the advice re: the whistle is excellent!

There was photo but I didn't get any luck while searching online. Google says that searching people from the photo is very limited.

Can't leave my phone or turn off. My mother has a serious illness, and happened many times she that rang me and I had to go to her house to help her.

I might try the trick with whistle, or my dogs squeaky toy. I just hope it won't make her contact me even more. But at least I will have fun for few mins 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

I didn't read the whole thread but EIR can block unknown numbers because carriers can see the number that hits their network, the number just isn't passed to the end customer and shows as unknown or private.

We have contacted Eir few times, and we were told they can't block Unknown number if it's ID is hidden. We have explain the situation and we were told they can't do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

If you have an android phone use the Do Not Disturb function that means only favourited numbers in your contacts will ring during scheduled times you can set.

I have a business so if I use this option, my potential clients might not be able to contact me. I also wait for few appointments after my surgery, and mostly they notify me of my appointment by a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That doesn't work on digital networks. It's a trick from the analogue days.

They won't block an unknown number, they should block the calling number which they can see, it's only the end user who sees unknown or private.

Their frontline possibly wouldn't have information on it but try get it escalated to their voice engineers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

You said you had to put your phone on mute last night and were worried about missing calls from your mother. Using DND means you do not have to put your phone on mute and worry about missing calls from her at night as calls from her will will stillcome through to you. It will allow you to get a proper night's sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Get back to Eir and ask for your issue to be escalated with haste. Get a reference number from them too, in case you need to go to Comreg. They can see the number calling and block it. Stress the harassment, mental anguish, and a potential risk to your safety.

Really loosing any last bit of hope 🙈

Went to different Garda Station. I told my story and also that I went already twice to report it but Gardai in another station hasn't taken any statement from me.

He said I have to contact the Gardai from the first station again. He sent him an email to ask to contact me with an update on my case. I said there won't be an update as he never took any statement from me, never checked the numbers etc.

He also told me that probably there will be nothing they can do.

I said I have an office address which is also my home address on my business page.

I said I don't know if she searched for my number online, but is she did, she could find it. I have removed the address for now, but there is no guarantee she doesn't have it already.

He said ahe could leave anywhere. I said yeah, I get it. But she seems to have some mental problems and I don't want to see if she really can find me.

When I was leaving, he told me to not take it to serious. He gets some calls sometimes too. I asked him does the person threaten him to find him and **** him up. He said no, it was about unpaid toll. But I worry to much.

Any others ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Change number, and let your clients know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Next time she calls and starts to speak, hang up immediately. If she calls back, hang up.

If you get a call from a withheld number let it ring out.

Any time she starts talking just hang up. Complete silence on your part from here on in.

I did that. She even rings more and more and then text me from different numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Keep ignoring. Screenshot the texts but ignore them. Every time she calls just hang up immediately. If another number rings in quick succession then ignore it, as it's most likely her. Keep on to the guards about harassment.

Went 3 times to Guards. No one took any statement from me.

Trying to ignore it but it's now nearly 3 weeks. Even at nights.

How can you know it's a different number of they are from as you said,an unknown number?

Because I have answered those calls few times and it was the same woman. Or she has texted me from different numbers, calling me names and that I have to leave her husband alone. So that's how I know it's her all the time.

• Advertisement

So you have numbers you can ask your provider to block. She may have just hidden them.

I have blocked them already. But she calls me from Unknown number (she hides the number ID).

So instead of the number I just see "Unknown". And my provider can't block those as can't see the number. That's what I was told. But I will try to ring them again tomorrow and see what else can be done.

No. I blocked them on my phone. They haven't said that they can block those numbers and maybe then she won't be able to ring me.

I was told they can't block Unknown numbers as they can't see the number ID. But it could be their poor customer service. I might ask to talk to someone higher and explain my situation. As someone mentioned above, they only know how to sell their products, so maybe some engineer from their side can help.

Tbh every person I tell about my problem, treats me like I over react. Like there is no real issue and I should calm down 🙈

I don't think you need to calm down, but for your own sanity you should change your number.

• Advertisement

I rang Eir again and begged for some help. They can't block calls from Unknown numbers 🙈

I think my last hope is to go to my solicitor, he knows good private investigator, as Guards do nothing. I thought the law became more strict this year for all harassment crime, so good to know what help victims of harassment can get.

Now I think you need to calm down 😊

Change your number.

I have change my address and surname after I got married over a year ago. A lot of letter still go to old address on old surname. As I said, I wait on appointments, and it's not one clinic or hospital but few. Can you guarantee me that they all will really change my number and I won't miss on any appointment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Stop being patronising and have some consideration for people's emotions.

Please walk into a Garda station and politely ask to talk with the Superintendent. They are in charge of the desk Sergeants/Gardai. You may have to wait to speak with one, or they may refer it to an inspector if there isn't a Super available. Ask to be bought into a private room (no point in trying to transact all of this at the desk).

Have printouts of your logs, messages and the dates and times that you came to the Garda stations, and if possible the Garda shoulder number of each whom you dealt with. Then explain as best you can what happened and what the effect is on you. You should pretty quickly get the attention that you need and the Gardai should be able to resolve this by calling to the address of the person who is causing this heartache for you.

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's no trouble-free way to fix this. Even if the guards do act, it will take many months to get a court hearing, an order and a penalty imposed. Yes, changing your number is troublesome and inconvenient, but it is almost certainly less trouble and inconvenience than continuing to put up with what you are currently suffering.

Appointments, etc, presumably are notified by text. You could consider keeping the current phone and checking it for messages but never, ever answering a call from a number that you do not recognise so that, if any appointment texts do come to the old number, you will still get them.

• Advertisement

Relax, it was tongue in cheek after my previous post.

What exactly will a private investigator achieve here?

It maybe inconvenient , but changing number is, in my opinion, the best and quickest solution.

The problem is that if no one took any statement from me, it's like I have never reported it. So if I need to report it good few times for this to go to court, then there is no sign of me ever being at Garda station.

If this would take longer, I think that's my only option, to keep this number in some old phone and get new number.

And you would be surprised how many times I got calls to schedule appointment. i guess it's faster that way, to ask if the date suits me instead of keep calling and changing.

There is one more possibility but I don't want to believe this could be true.

There is ongoing claim process after a car accident. The case is very complicated and documents were sent to the High Court.

All the calls started when my solicitor rang me that the defendant's insurer wants to settle down.

The thing is the defendant till today says there was no accident, and I will never get money from him.

Could be just coincidence. I haven't told Gardai this, as I don't have any proof it's him.

It could be just weird crazy woman.

That's why if Gardai does nothing, I was thinking to ask solicitor to get a private detective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I never mentioned a PI.

Not one to be critical of your advice on here, except I'd focus on the smaller/easier attainable steps first. This is very much in the Gardai's remit to deal with first. I'd strongly advise that this person ensure that she's getting the support that she needs from them in advance of going down more drastic paths. 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Do you have a solicitor from this court case, if so (or if not get one) and ask them to write to AGS and get an explanation as to why your previous complaints were not recorded and to insist that the record be corrected to show your complaints.

Yes I do. The case is still ongoing.

I will wait till Friday to see what this Gardai says and if this doesn't work, then I will contact my solicitor.

This story is getting more unbelievable by the day.

You can believe in whatever you want.

I do have all the proof that she is harassing me and Gardai or my solicitor will deal with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bear in mind that the behaviour that this person is engaging in is . . . psychotic. She's not acting rationally; she's probably suffering from some form of mental illness.

There isn't a legal or police solution to mental illness. The guards don't have a magic wand that they can wave that will make this woman well, or even make her immediately stop calling you. Even if/when the guards take this case seriously, it will still be a long haul.

Which is why I think you should look at changing your number. Yes, it will be a pain. And, yes, there will be one or two people who don't get the memo the first time round. But, honestly, most bureacracies are set up to be able to cope with a change of phone number, email, postal address, even name, because all of these things happen quite frequently. The systems for dealing with this don't always work perfectly, the first time around, in every case, but by and large they do work. Changing your phone number, even if if involves having to chase up and reschedule the odd appointment that gets notified to the wrong number, will certainly be a less harrowing experience than what you're going through now.

I don't know if she suffers from some form of mental illness. In voice messages I heard her sister telling her "yeah sis, tell her what we will do to her" etc.

So she is not alone in this.

I got fed up last night and answered the phone. I told her her we can meet at Gardai station on Friday after 4pm in the town where I work. Since she know so well who I am then that shouldn't be a problem.

Then I told her that harassment is very serious crime. And I don't know how many times I can tell her that I don't know her or her husband. But if she keeps harassing me and if she thinks she is anonymous she is wrong. I told her sooner or later I will find out who she is and we will meet one day but in the Court for harassment. Then I hanged up. After that I got only one more call. So I see today.

I have spoken to my husband's sister yesterday. She was harassed few years ago.

It took time but they have found out the guy who was behind this. So I hope if I wreck their heads they finally start doing something. Because if I give up and change the number it changes nothing. She might still find me (if she really knows who I am) or find a new victim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement