Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soundproofing alcove

• 15-09-2024 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭

I have a chimney breast in my living room and the bedroom above, with an alcove to the left of it. The house was built in the mid 50's and I'd guess the party wall is a standard cavity block.

My neighbours tv is directly behind the alcove in the sitting room and it is particularly noisy especially in my bedroom.

To reduce the noise in the bedroom I am thinking of using insulating in between the floor joists and the building a frame 3x2 and filling it with insulation and double plasterboard slabbed.

Has anyone any experience of this and would it work to reduce it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It will help to a degree. Lining the wall upstairs will add resistance to that pathway.

For best results I'd do the downstairs alcove too. As sound coming in that way can still do straight up to the bedroom. Or if insulating the floor, do it horizontally for at least 1200mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This ia a hard one to solve.

The denser the material you use and the more airtight the construction the better

Do the first floor joists run ?? to the party wall or are they embedded in the party wall?

May not be possible but the frame should stand off the party wall as much as possible and not be fixed to it

What is the gf construction

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

GF is a suspended floor. I was planning on fixing the frame to the chimney breast and my front wall, the front wall has a 47mm insulated slab on it.

I think the joists run to the party wall, I think they might be slightly embedded but I'm not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I was planning on fixing the frame to the chimney breast and my front wall, the front wall has a 47mm insulated slab on it.

Correct, and presume you'll leave a gap between the frame and the party wall? Anything you can do to reduce vibrations travelling will help. Nothing will give you 100% soundproofing but what you want is to add mass, reduce vibrations and seal gaps anywhere you can. I used SoundBloc plasterboard (weighs a ton), Rockwool Acoustic and Soudal Fire & Acoustic foam.

Per post #2, if you can do the living room alcove too, it will make a big difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Up rights at 300 and noggins at 600 will give small squares that won't act as drums

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement