Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought 2.5KW system - upgrade or modify?

• 16-09-2024 2:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, just renovating an old farmhouse which has 20 tube solar thermal and a 300l Joule solar water tank (not yet comissioned). I got great advice from the last post which suggested not going off grid.
    I have just bought a 2.5kw system incl 8 310 panels, solis 2500 inverter, eddi and firemans switch. It was a good deal locally.
    And I am wondering what to do with it.

What would you do?
    1) Run the PV panel as is tied into the grid.
    2) Add more panels on a new inverter
    3) Add more panels and upgrade inverter to take both

At this point I'm also thinking no battery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

What's your final objective with the house? To have as much solar as possible?

I'd be inclined to use what you have as otherwise what was the point in buying it?

I don't think an eddi and solar thermal working together will be very cost efficient for you depending on what you paid. Also, now that we have FIT the economics of an eddi are not as attractive, it might be worth more to you to sell it on and export any excess for FIT.

310W panels are considered a bit outdated now, grand if you have plenty of space for them, but if you're stuck for space the newer 400+W might have been better. You might find it difficult to source the same size panels if trying to expand and mount them all together in the same array.

If you're trying to 'max out' your NC6 allowance and definitely don't want a battery and the roof size/layout allows, then probably the cheapest way is to have another 3kW grid-tied system, the two systems will work away independently of each other.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

Advertisement