Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky BB - DNS Server blocking Plex?

• 16-09-2024 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭

I recently moved over to Sky BB from Virgin

Immediately I've been having issues with Plex.

The Plex server is running on a desktop machine, connected via ethernet, and it's got a static IP.

I've got the Plex app running on 3 devices in the house; 2 Firesticks and a Samsung Smart TV, all 3 are connected via WIFI, none have static IPs.

I only use Plex within my own home network, I don't share or access anyone elses shares.

This setup worked perfectly for me with Virgin.

Since I've moved to Sky, my 3 Plex apps on both firesticks and the tv cannot see the Plex Server.

If I connect to ethernet, it immediately sees it. (this isn't a viable option going forward however)

The other fix I found was to change the DNS settings on the Sky Hub. However, anyone who's familiar with these will know that in order to do this, you have to edit a .config file, and Sky will change it back within 24 hours.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Is it actually a DNS issue, or am I just missing something in my setup?

Anyone have any advice for solving this?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

I used Plex while on Sky fibre (Openeir) but used my own router and I never had any issues with accessing Plex at home or away.

As I never actually used the Sky router from day 1, I'm not sure what the issue is.

I assume all the devices are on the same IP range and same default gateway? What DNS server is the Plex server pointing to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I use Plex on Sky BB (open Eir), and I think there is a DNS issue. I got round it by using PiHole.

Advertisement