Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5G for home internet?

• 16-09-2024 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here use Three exclusively for their home internet?

The place I’m in has connections for both fiber and Virgin Media. However, I don’t do much streaming, and my internet usage is fairly light, mainly consisting of browsing Reddit and Twitter and watching the occasional YouTube video. I gave my 65-inch TV and streaming box to my girlfriend, who I visit every weekend, so I just use a PC for entertainment now.

I’ve noticed that Three has two offers at €20 per month for the first 12 months, then increasing to €40 per month, with a 3% increase plus inflation every April. Both plans run for 24 months.

I’ve estimated that the average cost would be around €32 per month over the 24 months, including the price increase.

I’m not sure whether I should opt for just getting the modem or go for the home installation with an external antenna. I don’t have line of sight from my ground-floor apartment to either of the towers. I haven’t tried standing on a ladder and pointing my phone toward the tower at the back, but I could consider mounting an external antenna there since I used to have a Sky dish, which is no longer in place.

Alternatively, should I just buy my own 5G modem and get an external antenna if needed? I should note that I haven’t tested Vodafone yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are you an existing Three mobile customer? If so, what is the 5G coverage like in the apartment/area.

Would you have permission to install the aerial on an external wall of your apartment?

If you have fibre available at your apartment, it would give more reliable speeds.

Sky are currently doing 500Mb or 1GB for €30 per month and after the year's up you could move to a better deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I am, decade or so.
    But your situation will differ from anyone else - its mobile and "up to" is quite low,contract would be my last choice.
    €20 PAYG/28d (21.67 per month) still same mobile, same masts, -customer service(useless for me anyway)
    Speed fluctuate(whatever they do there, fe***rs), but i usually can get it above my needs. 4G below by the way, 5G similar, just with different ratio DL (lower)/UL (higher)

Other providers have some plans too, but three has no caps - 1TB no limits/restrictions or at least i never encounter

If you have no limits on mobile data and no need of internet while you away, perhaps hotspot from the phone would cover demand…

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

I'm currently trialling Three mobile using an eSIM. I'm not sure if a physical same would be better as I only seem to get 5G outside although inside my phone shows the 5G signal bar, according to an app I used to monitor frequencies. I am only getting LTE inside. I won't know until I get a router. Whether this is an issue with my phone or an issue using an eSIM.

Unfortunately, I am just out of a contract with Sky plus I want the flexibility of being able to move and not being tied into a contract. For example, I may decide in the next few months to move in with my girlfriend, so not being tied into a contract for Internet or at least having one that is portable would be a bonus.

I've checked outside and it looks like it would be fairly easy, although I would need to get someone to install it for me to put an aerial on the now disused communal TV aerial mast and then run the cable down the wall to a vent and feed the cable into my apartment. The 5G/LTE transmitters for Eir, Three and Vodafone are only around 200 m away. Do you think it would be worth getting those plug-in rabbit ear antennas for the modem or perhaps some other antenna that I don't necessarily have to mount would a directional antenna work, even if I didn't have direct line of sight inside and was able to point it in the direction of the mast.

I'm hoping with the modem that I have ordered. If the firmware allows it. I can force the modem to use a certain frequency, and possibly lock it to just using that tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

We had the 3 5G mobile broadband for the last 2 years… we were getting a 5G connection up until the last 2 months or so. Then for some reason, it dropped to 4G/4G+

You can log into the router and see the signal and what it is. Download speeds showing speeds far below 5G

When we rang 3 they told us that the 5G connection was not available in our area. When I argued that we had been on a 5G connection for the guts of the previous 2 years they told me I must be mistaken that they do not offer that service in our area.

So I went back and found screenshots of speed tests that we had done over the previous 2 years clearly showing that we had 5G connection and speeds that you simply could not achieve on a 4G connection.

Also, I showed them the deal we signed up to - 5G…

The agent could offer no explanation as to why 5G was no longer available and could only offer to terminate the contract early as the service had been degraded without any indication of when or if it would be returned

So yeah, 3 5G was great for like 20 months and then taken away without any warning or explanation! Even their own online help coudln't get an answer as to why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

They're vastly overselling their network.

Selling 5G broadband as a replacement to fibre (as their current TV ad campaign suggests) with no limit and introductory prices of €20 a month for 12-months is only going to have one end result. Serious congestion.

Not to mention you have the likes of 48 (runs on Three network) coming along with €12.99 a month for unlimited everything - that's just going to make an already congested network even worse.

5G in my own area with them has now gone to pot at peak times - low double digit speeds, high packet loss and jitter so bad you'd struggle to have a Whatsapp voice call never mind a video call. The same at 5am will give you several hundred megabits and zero jitter or packet loss.

Unsurprisingly, they blitzed the area about a year or so back selling their 5G Gold fixed wireless product and quite a few houses now have the antennae plonked on the side of the house. They were charging €40 a month with the first six-months free (and if you had Three mobile I think you got 12-months), compared to the fibre to the home offerings which all start from €40 a month with nowhere near that level of discount on offer.

• Advertisement

JustJust a quick update So far I have been finding it quite good speeds seem to be around 80 megabits per second on average going up to over 200 at night time.

The ZTE MC801a gets a better signal than my phone once it has been positioned correctly however the 5G signal is still -102 dB despite being on my window.

Unfortunately the side facing the mast is a solid wall so in order to get the best signal I may have to consider putting up an antenna outside.

I know this varies from location to location but I do wonder how much roughly it would cost to have someone come and install it for me?

ZTE MC801a external antenna ports for n77/n78 bands only. It was/is no improvement with Iskra P60 - there is no n77/78 in my area, is there in yours ?
    Let me know if you have updated info re band support on this router.

Try set router in the attic - less obstructions in any direction and up higher.

In some instances, forcing device into 4G only mode might give you better consistency at insignificant loss of speed that fluctuate

On Three at least where I am I'm on 5G band n1 I haven't yet tested Vodafone to see what band that uses in my location.

Unfortunately, when I inserted my 3-SIM card, the router automatically updated to the latest firmware. Even using the JavaScript mod, there doesn't seem to be any antenna option, even hidden my understanding is that in this latest release they either got rid of the option to manually select using an antenna and made it automatic or on this particular model or it was always automatic switching when it detected a connected antenna.

Strangely I found a manual written in Bulgarian that listed the supported frequencies on the external antenna ports as being "700 MHz до 4200 MHz"

There is no mention of the frequencies in either the English or Arabic I have emailed ZTE clarification and they have passed on my query about what bands are supported on the external antenna ports to their technical team.

I will post their response as soon as I get a reply.

links to your discoveries would save time for other(and me too) looking for additional info , should they want/need. Thanks

Advertisement