Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rotted Rusted Spare Tyre Well 2000 Corolla

• 17-09-2024 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭

I had to change a wheel on my fathers 2000 Corolla saloon over the weekend. Its in excellent good condition 70k miles on the clock from new. He doesn't do much driving. Car was stored inside in a shed for first 22years of its life and only outside when it was being driven, its outside sometimes now.

I opened the boot pulled up the carpet and pulled out the spare tyre and I see there is a lot of rust around the spare tyre. Water must have gotten in at some stage and lodged there, there must have been a full bucket of water in there judging by the amount of rust.

Went to clean the rust Sunday afternoon with wire brush on regular battery drill and I find its more than rust the spare tyre well is rotten, a hole appeared. Hole is 60mm round as its where the drain plug was located in the boot.

What would be the best approach to repair such a hole. Car wont pass the NCT with a hole in the boot ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You could just get some of that rust cut away and a patch put in. That would be the cheaper way to get it done and perfectly acceptable for the NCT. If you want to go the whole hog, a replacement wheel well would be the more expensive route.

Just make sure that whatever new metal is put in gets protected so that it will last. I would imagine it will not cost too much to patch it in. Last patching I had done was on a Fiesta and cost about €100.. albeit about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Coincidentally I was looking at friends 99 Corolla the other day and he had the spare out.

The boot floor was like the day it came out of the factory.

Your problem could have been a spillage or a leak in the boot seal. You might check for leaks while you have the spare and cover out.

As @Miscreant says the repair is simple enough.

Well worth keeping that car right, they were a great model.

Low mileage minded examples are going up in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭aidanki

+1 on the looking for leaks, sprayed with the volume washer prior to closing up and all seemed dry.

Can a replacement wheel well be sourced, I didn't mention in my original post but there are some pinholes near the other drain plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not sure if you could get a new one but one from a scrapped car would be a possibility.

That would add to the cost as it would need to be removed from the donor car.

There would also be more work on your own car.

If you can get back to solid steel and use a patch it's the best bet.

Prime it and give it a couple of coats of paint and it'll see out the car.

It's not as if anyone looking at the car will notice it.

Take the car to a body shop/panel beater and they will put you right.

Advertisement