Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Personal injury

• 17-09-2024 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm wondering what course of action to take, if any, in relation to an injury I sustained during a recent trip to the barbers.

I had my ear scissored by about 1cm in length. Thankfully the "barber" didn't follow through the whole way and fully close the scissors, which would have removed the top part of my ear.

How or why this barber was at the side of my head around the ear with a scissors I still do not know. I'm a razor back and sides customer and clearly explained to the barber what I wanted. This was my second time in this shop, but the first time with this guy.

I winced when it happened and was expecting the haircut to stop. This guy continued as blood started to roll down the side of my ear and neck. He had overly sprayed water all over my head prior to cutting me, and my neck and head were already wet so I didn't cop that it was blood on my neck at first.

I don't know if this guy was a trainee or just incompetent but he was all over the place. What seemed like ages passed before he said "oh did I get you?"

I turned my head, saw the blood and responded with "get me? Is my ear still there?

I was shocked but remained calm and polite. He then proceeded to go between dabbing my ear and cutting my hair.

In short, he gave me a poxy haircut. I left with hair longer over my ears than the length half way up my head, even after I asked him to rectify it.

I just wanted to get out of the place at that stage. This lad was in his 30s, holding the scissors in a manner I've not seen before, and seemed completely unsure of what he was at both before and after going at my ear.

I was expecting a sincere apology, he did say sorry about the ear but this guy seemed to think it was quite funny.

There was another barber present who didn't say a word but sat on his phone throughout.

I was charged the full €18 for a shite haircut and getting hurt, and I was given two blue finger plasters. I'd to go across to a shop to get a bandage.

"Sorry about the ear, have a great weekend" he says.....it was a Monday morning.

I've never went down a personal injury route as nothing like this has happened to me before now.

This has really pissed me off. The attitude I got of this guy is that he didn't care at all. A nick with a scissors and an apology is one thing, this guy cut through the top of my ear and pretty much shrugged it off.

If he was a trainee, then he had no business twirling a scissors like a baton. If he was an experienced barber, well that's even more worrying.

My ear is killing me now and I've no idea what it will look like if or when it heals.

Should I pursue an injury claim against this guy, or his employer, or just move on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did you go to the doctor or the hospital. I accidentally had my ear sliced and had to get stiches. Repaired and no sign of injury now. What do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭giseva

I just had herself take a few pictures of it when I got home yesterday. I haven't yet gone to the doctor yet. I went from a bandage to using smaller plasters. It was bleeding again this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 JustAsking2022

Did you lodge a complaint at the time? Or have you addressed the situation with the business by way of a follow up call or mail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭giseva

They have an unused FB page, that's about it. There's a mobile number but for all I know that belongs to scissors hands himself.

The other barber present had cut my hair previously and I was thinking if he was the owner. He didn't say anything and possibly didn't want to get involved.

I think the practice is that barbers rent chairs in the shop, though I'm not sure what the case is here.

I didn't demand to speak to the manager or anything like that but I was a bit in shock I suppose and just wanted to get out and get home to inspect the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Should I pursue an injury claim against this guy, or his employer, or just move on?

I know it sounds like I’m suggesting letting them get away with it but in that situation I’d just move on, never go near them again. You’d be likely to feel just as fleeced when you’d receive the bill for a personal injury solicitors time and expertise. I’d put it down to a lesson learned and you’re obviously not going to be availing of the services of that particular establishment again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

My first port of call is obtain a medical assessment of the ear, not for any litigation reasons just purely to ensure it will heal well and won’t get infected - sepsis and all of that .

After that - there might be a health and safety issue here - check online on public health or HSE website - if proper procedure was t followed when a customer received an injury they may wish to have a word with these fly by nights.

Finally a solicitor will advise on likelihood of success costs and rewards - assuming injury is very minor and will totally heal I would doubt its worth taking a case - but you raise an interesting point. Research on people taking or not taking legal cases in these circumstances often depends on whether the company who made the mistake treats the customer well at the time of occursnce - the better their looked after as a result of their slips or trips etc the less inclined the person is to sue for damages- assuming it’s a relatively minor incident
    so it doesn’t surprise me you’re thinking this way - appallingly treated is probably an accurate description - but I’d put energy first into looking after that cut with proper medical guidance , checking out any public health information centre and considering making a complaint to them -then if out of pocket (doctors bills, prescription cream etc) consider handing that bill to the barbers.

Personally I wouldn’t have given them a dime for the haircut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

I’d be advising rather than waste time and energy on a personal Injury claim I would be looking to (at least in the first instance) discuss with the manager or owner of the business.

Advertisement