Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hezbollah pager explosions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

It makes no sense at all because it’s complete nonsense. You shouldn’t listen to southerners with a delusion that they would have been fierce freedom fighters if only they’d been around when Ireland needed them when we all know that at the time most southerners were cowardly little pups whose biggest fear was that those big bad nordies would “infect” them with violence by their mere presence.

I should know. I went to university in Dublin the year after the hunger strikes and northerners were like lepers to most Dubliners. You only had to oc pen your mouth for them all to react about your big scary accent. The friends I made were either other northerners (who all had the same experience, before you go off on some personal abuse) or from “the country”, usually from Republican areas like Tipperary.

We had people at our wedding from Germany and France, but the only ones who hesitated about coming from a fear about their safety were from the south.

Of course now that it’s all “over”, they’re the biggest armchair republicans around.

Naturally.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭brickster69

Looks like this new suspect has scrubbed his website and shot off on a business trip overseas earlier in the week. I bet he got the shock of his life when he put the telly on Tuesday.

Maybe just a coincidence

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭mikethecop

why are you making out that the terrorist scumbags in the north had popular support , either in the north or the south ? thats a lie shinnerbots have been pushing for a while now and is easy to disprove if your weren't around yourself , usual shinner tactic of trying to re writing history.

google the election results pre GFA

if you supported radical violent provos or unionist gangs in the 60s, 70s or 80 you were either a pimply deluded teenager angry at everything or in a tiny minority of vicious people who enjoyed killing at little or no risk to them selfs. ya know cowards who taxed their own community's and run proxy bombs operations

so ya most southerners didn't like aggressive obnoxious northerners pushing hate an still dont

its irrelevant to this thread but i always like to call out shinner lies :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭dmcdona

Remind us all - who used the phrase "Between the sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭mikethecop

as reprehensible as the source of that video is , that lad with the Hezbollah flag was hopefully identified and reported to the relevant security services , strange that all those fat mouthy racists walked by him and did nothing though …..

• Advertisement

Your binary opinion is simply self-serving because its suits your stance.

How is this for a binary opinion: You support the actions of a genocidal, terrorist, pariah State, or you support justice for those who are the subject of their abhorrent actions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I don’t disagree but by the same metric the same can be said of Irish people who fly the Israeli flag, Israel killed and injured Irish soldiers numerous times and Israeli backed militia even more. They also used forged Irish passports to carry out assassination in Dubai and have since stated they can’t guarantee they won’t do the same again. Pot kettle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I have never once said Israel doesn't have the right to exist, I just take issue with their constant disregard for international law and the human rights of Palestinians. I assume the irony of you accusing me of using a strawman by actually using a strawman is completely lost on you. I'd forgotten how pointless it is trying to engage with you and some of the other posters who dropped off the Hamas thread. Oh and I condemn Hamas, Hezbollah etc. before you try to play that "gotcha".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

100% agree. Irish people shilling for either side are morally bankrupt.

If I see someone waving a HAMAS, Hezbollah or IDF flag I cringe. The Palestine flag is okay in my book because the Palestinian authority are good guys AFAIK and the legitimate democratic authority unlike HAMAS and Hezbollah terrorist's (Iranian proxies).

why are you making out that the terrorist scumbags in the north had popular support , either in the north or the south ?

LOL I'm saying the exact opposite. I'm saying that as a teenage girl arriving from a nationalist part of Northern Ireland - but not an IRA supporter by any means - I was not an "aggressive obnoxious northerner" thanks. Quite the opposite: I didn't go to Queens because I wanted out of Northern Ireland after the Hunger Strikes, which were frankly traumatising when you're living in a strongly nationalist area, but I didn't want to go to England.

Unless of course you deem anyone with any level of nationalist position, even when not an IRA or Sinn Fein supporter, to automatically be one of those "aggressive obnoxious northerners", in which case that's what you're going to see, clearly.

Hence I was automatically put in the "terrorist-supporting scumbag" sack every time I opened my mouth. Same as you're doing now.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The PLA are afraid to hold an election because they will get booted out of power and then be summarily murdered by their Hamas cousins. They are also totally corrupt. So much for the good guys.

So why did you claim that Israel is a colony when the current situation is Hezbollah and Hamas attacking what is clearly Israel proper? Israel is not a colony. That's the Hamas/Hezbollah/Iranian position.

(Now, if you want to discuss illegal settlements on the West Bank, start a thread on it. But it's only deflection here - or, more usually, a way for some people to quietly say the truth about their real opinion of Israel by conflating the two issues. The opinion they still hesitate to say out loud. For now.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

You're allowed to support genocide as long as you do it politely

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You keep saying this but when your rhetoric is analysed it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. If the Iranians are intent on wiping out the Jews of Israel as you continually claim why have they not started with the Jewish community in Iran. When it suits, you claim all Jews have a natural attachment to Israel. So therefore if that is Iran's intention they should by your logic be killing and subjugating all the jews in Iran first.

The Iranian even if they did have the intention you claim, have clearly shown they are not capable of it. They have also shown they value self preservation over martyrdom for if they truly believed in Martyrdom they would engage in a direct war with Israel. Instead they seem desperate to avoid it because they know they will lose. This calculation by the Iranian leadership flies in the face of your rhetoric, but you have to persist with it to justify Israel routinely violating international law . Israel is routinely doing what it say its enemies would do by subjugating people in the West Bank and killing journalists , peace activists and throwing people off roofs- but sure as long as you classify it as self defense it's all permissable.

That'll be "justice for those who deliberately targeted babies and old people instead of soldiers", right? Those people?

It should be easy to choose there. Odd that so many posters see the kidnapping of babies as freedom-fighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

The Palestinian Authority are the good guys? Have you heard of Private Kevin Joyce or Private Hugh Doherty? Both out in Lebanon on peacekeeping duty. Doherty was murdered by the PLO, shot three times in the back trying to get on the radio from their observation point. Joyce's body has never been recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Thank you for the clarification.

Well done Israel.

I hope you have a pleasant day.

Regards

Danzy.

And do you think that anyone could genuinely believe that Hamas were "defending themselves" on October 7th? Who exactly was attacking them? The babies and old ladies they kidnapped or murdered? The irony being that the adult victims of the Oct 7th attacks were often from the most peace-loving sector of Israeli society.

It's curious how posters saying that Israel is further radicalising Palestinians against them by responding to Oct 7th never make the same point about what Israeli society is to conclude from the kidnap and murder of peace activists like Vivian Silver, Haim Katzman or Bilha and Yakovi Inon?

Indeed - the IDF are well documented as having targeted babies and old people. And let's not forget the nuns, the sheep and even dead people in graveyards. Heck, they even targeted their own - Hannibal Directive and multiple Israeli hostages. Three of whom were surrendering…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement

Your timeline seems more than a bit mixed up there: how would Hamas be defending themselves on October 7th in Gaza for events that happened either outside Gaza or after their attack on Oct 7th??

Can you answer the actual question instead of dragging in other stuff please? How were they defending themselves against the IDF on October 7th by attacking babies and old people?

And particularly - since you've brought it in - how were they defending themselves against things that only happened after - and as a result of - October 7th?

You may be confusing the PA and PLO:

The PA was legally separate from the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), which continues to enjoy international recognition as the sole legitimate representative of the Palestinian people, representing them at the United Nations under the name "Palestine".

Palestinian Authority - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

yeah they are under such existential threat that they manage to build civilian houses outside their borders.

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

Why?

Lebanon is a founding member of the United Nations and of the Arab League and is a member of the Non-Aligned Movement, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the Organisation internationale de la Francophonie, and the Group of 77, among others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen estimates from Russian opposition sources that around 270 Russian civilians have died during the duration of the Putin regime's invasion and occupation of Ukraine. But if one contrasts that with an estimated 50,000 Ukrainian civilians killed, one side at least is showing considerable restraint in the face of considerable provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

No I don't think like that. Neither do I think that dropping 2,000 pound bombs on women and children is right, nor is it self-defence as was suggested loads of times. I'm saying that neither actions are right and BOTH should be condemned. But you knew that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Augme

Why do you enjoy seeing children getting blown up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Don't worry we'll just wave our neutrality at them, it'll be grand. We don't have any threats primarily due to the military might of the USA and their military presence in Europe since WW2.

We won't let such matters get in the way of preaching to a nation under constant threat since it's Inception with wars on a number of fronts.

Iran, thanks to the Iraq war and collapse, now have a land route to the Israeli northern border. Decent analysis below from last spring.

The IDF and the Israeli state completely overreacted to Oct 7 with the subsequent huge civilian catastrophe. This action is completely different.

https://www.csis.org/analysis/coming-conflict-hezbollah

Must be a bit awkward to use the "from the river to the sea" phrase when you realise that Likud use the phrase "Between the sea and the Jordan there will only be Israeli sovereignty".

Unless you already knew that of course?

• Advertisement

So this wasn't you then?

colonialism

noun

the policy or practice of acquiring full or partial political control over another country, occupying it with settlers, and exploiting it economically.

No doubt we'll be told that the Oxford dictionary is anti-Semitic.

Oh wait, it was.

Since I'm not a supporter of Likud, that's not my problem, and not relevant to the point under discussion.

You used the phrase in your point under discussion. I'm just politely pointing out that its a phrase used by Likud who are a member of the current Israeli Government which must make your point of discussion a bit on the awkward side, seeing as you support the current Israeli Government…

So its perfectly relevant I would have thought?

I was even going to reply to this, but there's no point because it's off topic on this thread and because you don't actually think there is anything that Israel is entitled to do to defend its citizens other than ask them nicely not to.

I'll just have to put you on ignore because I forget to look at who I'm replying to.

Bye now.

Do I?? Maybe you'll tell me where I've ever said anything positive about Netanyahu - cos if so I must have been posting while very very drunk. And even then, I doubt it.

Or is this just you projecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Finally you've posted something reasonable. Without mentioning children and size of the bombs.

Maybe you could start to count and point out all the kids killed, raped, and whatever else was being done to innocents under the government radar in Ireland (nothing to do with church or religion of course, influence, ignorance built on the top of religion, etc..) Not mentioning treatment of women. There's long list, isn't it.

We have a saying back at home, you have to be sure everything is good and intact behind your own doors, before you start casting judgment on others..

• Advertisement

That's a very good idea especially when you have no coherent answers and can only see, or pretend to see, one side of the problem.

ok fair enough, thanks. I do still think the Ukrainian incursion into Russia that has not been going on since Feb 2022 as you claim, but only for about two months, is not at all comparable to Israel where generations on both sides have grown up traumatised from repeated/ongoing warfare at various levels.

Any opinion on my second (main) point, below?

Secondly: if you think the rage against Israel is because they are needlessly killing civilians out of carelessness or even deliberately, how to explain the utter fury about this pager operation in Lebanon which was brilliantly targeted at Hezbollah militants, with very few civilian casualties?

So you don't believe that the amount of children murdered or the size of the bombs dropped on civilians is relevant then?

Says all that need to be said. Plus I deplored the deaths of all innocents, Israeli, Palestinian, Lebanese etc. Here's a wee bit of information that you don't seem to know about -

''The general rule. The general rule is that only those people fighting you are legitimate targets of attack. Those who are not fighting should not be attacked as this would violate their human rights. The Geneva Convention lays down that 

civilians are not to be subject to attack''

I didn't mention Netanyahu. I mentioned the current Israeli Government. You appear to be supportive of the Israeli Government and its actions - you know, genocide, terrorism, apartheid etc.?

Unless I'm mistaken and you're a supporter of the IDF only?

Happy to be corrected.

Well, I think you just continue on the usual route plenty of posters here and on other thread do. And you didn't even bother for a sec to think about what I've posted. Well done.

• Advertisement

This might be news to you but this is the '' Hezbollah Pager Explosion '' thread. Thanks for the compliment though. Very kind.

?

You just keep posting basically the same here. Over and over. And I guess both threads are dealing with the same situation somehow .

Don't see there was any evidence of civilians being deliberately attacked and killed or targeted in this operation.

Edited to avoid confusion.

Edit: On the plus side, I can almost hear the panic and shouting in Hezbollah's quarters. It's always good to hear something shattered the cage full of religious brainwashed maniacs.

I have always mentioned the numbers of children murdered. I did it every day for a long time on the other thread but it seemed to annoy a lot of posters and they complained about it. They probably didn't like it because the numbers were so high and shone a bad light on the Israelis in particular as they murdered approx 25 times as many as Hamas. One child death is one too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Definitely and 15k dead is definitely too many. But even with that number there are still posters seriously trying to suggest such a high number of civilian deaths is accidental. I wonder how many innocents would have to die to convince them otherwise?

I get it.

Just don't understand the need to post it over and over.

Both of us are probably sitting safely at home somewhere in Ireland. Myself I'm on a wooden chair sipping out whiskey at the moment. And wondering why the fook we still have to deal with religious búllshit, even from our comfy homes.

Probably mistake saying it in Ireland. Still driven by religion..

Anyway any mentioning of children victims Ireland has to deal with , or it's just abroad what concerns you?

There are thousands more children missing and probably many of them dead.

[1] Save the Children estimates approximately 21,000 children are missing in Gaza. This includes 17,000 unaccompanied and separated children, and 4,000 children buried under the rubble [see 2 below]. Save the Children added these estimates to equal approximately 21,000 children missing in Gaza, or over 20,000.

[2] The UN estimates that 10,000 people are believed buried under the rubble in Gaza, and also estimates that 40% of casualties in Gaza are children. Save the Children estimates this would amount to approximately 4,000 children buried under the rubble in Gaza.

I have posted on other appropriate threads about abuse in Ireland many times.

Fair enough.

Just reading your last post about kids there. Don't get me wrong, because I think at least kids should be left out of this mess, just like you do.

But you are looking at the nation being alive only thanks to humanitarian help, big part of that ends up in Hamás hands, to be turned into some fooked up plans. I don't really see much of resistance and willingness to take Hamás down on Palestinians side and change the course of the way they inevitably heading too.

And since, as you rightly pointed, we are on different thread, well done to anyone who crippled another few religious fanatics.

The Palestinians are hardly going to support the regime that is bombing them and their homes, businesses etc at the present time. Religion plays a huge part in wars everywhere including on the part of Israel as well as Hamas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There's never going to be support or "peace", only cycles of exhausted enemies. The Palestinians are just pawns used by both sides and the hatred is ingrained and generational.

• Advertisement
Advertisement