Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NBI - home not eligible for connection... questions

• 17-09-2024 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi All

So I am looking into fibre for home, we currently get around 70Mbps download, 10 Mbps upload which is good enough for most things but is beginning to creak at times. The NBI fibre lines are literally going down our country road, attached is a picture of the pole immediately outside my gate. The second picture shows the eligible homes in my immediate vicinity with ours being deemed ineligible.

NBI email seems to state its because because they believe we can get speeds from existing infrastructure of >30Mb, which is correct. However surely our neighbours can also get these speeds and yet they are eligible for fibre connection? That is what I am wondering really I guess, can the variation in speeds from existing suppliers be that mixed in a small area like this or could it be our house is relatively recently built (2020) and might not have been in scope of the original rollout?

Appreciate anyone that can help shed light onto this for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

That's unfortunate for you and the other house in the picture but this was decided when the intervention maps was being compiled. Commercial operators indicated that they will connect those premises.

Have you spoken to any of the other property owners to see what their connection speeds were/are?

Without knowing the infrastructure there why would there any difference?

Are all the premises connected similarly, via overhead lines or underground?

It should be all the same OpenEir network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Perhaps when the time comes and if you're bypassed make contact with the local broadband officer in your county and explain the situation. They may be able to make an intervention with the Dept of Communications to change your designation on the intervention map.

Without this changing NBI cannot connect you under the current rules.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b49914-broadband-officers-contact-list/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SimonKelley

If I was you I'd be talking to my next door neighbours who have a green tick. A 1Gb NBI plan is typically €60, whilst a 500Mb plan is €50, so if you agree with them that they'll get NBI installed at 1Gb and you go halves on the cost and you run a cat6 cable between your houses, you can both get 500Mb for €30 each. Maximum length of a cat6 cable is 100m which should be enough, looking at the satellite photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭shmeee

Both will get a 1GB connection 😉. The speeds won't be halved. It will drop due to usage etc but at both ends of the cable, it will be 1GB.

I ran about 80m's of Cat5e for a friend a few years back to an outside office, connection came from a house next door. Similar issue, couldn't get fibre to the "cabin"/old farm house. But the workaround was to tap into the neighbour who could get NBI Fibre, and she didn't even need it but my friend paid over 90% of internet cost and the neighbour had her Netflix and RIP.ie for a small cost. And she was delighted! Along with having someone to set up all her gadgets and upkeep of the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I seem to remember somebody saying that connecting two separate buildings like this could be dangerous, from an electrical perspective. I can't remember what the risk was.

OP I'd suggest you ask an electrician before you go down this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're connecting two different consumer units.

You can do it using fibre and media convertors (or switches with SFP ports) so the connection between the buildings is actually glass and non conductive

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SimonKelley

baseT Ethernet ports (RJ45 connectors) are galvanically isolated with pulse transformers good for 1500v and the routers/switches will be separated from the mains with a galvanically isolated power supply. That's more than enough to isolate from supplies on different phases. Don't run the cat 6 cables in ducting or enclosures with mains in and its fine. (You shouldn't do that anyway, even on a single phase system). The only advantage to running fibre over short runs like this is to eliminate the chance of damage from lightning Home networking gear is so cheap it's more cost effective to replace it in the unlikely event of damage than to pay for fibre and the kit needed to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The 30mbps limit was one set at the EU level years ago that they've since recognized as being out-dated. The new target is 1gbps for all homes and businesses:

https://www.globalprojectsview.com/2024/06/04/the-eu-gigabit-infrastructure-act-gia/

I have a feeling once the initial NBI rollout is complete, there will be a subsequent phase that allows housesholds like yourselves to join the network, but the initial priority will be people who have never been able to get 30mbps, and IMHO, that's the right way to prioritize.

Advertisement