Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ride a Fairlight?

• 18-09-2024 6:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a new gravel bike to replace my Genesis Croix de Fer. Ideally it would also be my winter road bike so I'd reduce the fleet from three bikes to two.

Looking online the Fairlight Secan seems highly recommended everywhere. I don't have a lot of faith in cycling reviews though, I remember the thread about Bowman on here while cycling media were **** off about them.

Does anyone have them and are they as great as they sound? Looking at 2k delivered for a frameset so not the cheapest, but I haven't found anything else that gives similar geometry with big tire clearance. Other option under consideration at the moment is something like one of the new Cube Nuroads which will work out a bit cheaper but not the same. Also not sure I have the time or space for another bike build.

(Last time I posted one of these threads, the bike was on the way to me a few days later, will try be more patient this time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jaysus, a quick scan of the reviews and I wanna buy one myself ! :D

Lotta beans though. Given the (non) value of second hand bikes now I'd be reluctant to shell out rrp for frames and bits for a build. It must be the far the most expensive way to get a bike at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭joey100

I've always liked the look of the Mason bikes, nice looking bikes, have a decent range and a bit different too. Not sure how brexit has affected their prices though, but I'd say they definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking at a Di2 build and I reckon I can get it a good bit cheaper than buying the full bike from them. I think I'd save over 1000€ excluding labour. It's a bit hard to calculate the prices as they are in sterling excluding VAT, but it looks like it would cost around 5300€.

I think I'd get the same maybe spec for 4300. Frameset about 2000, 1500 for the groupset 600 for wheels and tires, then another 200 for bars, bartape, stem, seatpost and saddle.

The wife will kill me if she sees another bike being built in the garage though. Usually it is a process that takes me months although on paper this should be quite a simple build. Whereas I'd sneak a new bike in hidden away. Seems too much of a saving though

Also very nice bikes but even more expensive than the Fairlight

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭ARX

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭mh_cork

I have the road version (Strael), but have been thinking of getting the Secan for awhile. I presume you have gone through the web-site and seen the look-books and design notes?

They consistently win "best of year" bikes. The chief designer previously worked in Genesis, so there is a long history of working on steel bikes. I followed a similar path to you and went from a Genesis bike (Equilibrium) to the Strael and it was a huge upgrade.

Thanks - I also have an Equilibrium but I'd probably also try to replace it by the Fairlight. It is my winter bike and the geometry of the Secan seems fairly ok for road use. I have a Giant TCR which I would keep so I would be going from three bikes to two. I'd love a Strael too of course

Your Fairlight Cycles order has been received!

Not due until late November so I have a bit of time to pick the components.

I will probably go with alu Ritchey gravel bars, stem and seatpost.

Groupset is most likely Shimano GRX Di2 - mechanical 1x GRX has worked perfectly well on my current bike but I want to pay the extra. Considered SRAM Rival XPLR but I found the brake hoses and connectors a bit messy last time I tried that. Some great deals on the old 11 speed but 12 speed also available for 1500€ or so in places. The wireless installation and latest model might be worth losing compatibility with existing wheelsets without swapping cassettes.

Wheelset is much more of a dilemma as I'm looking for two with minimal hassle swapping. DT Swiss GR1600 is my ideal spec for gravel with 45mm tires. Then I'd like a road set like Zipp 303s or Campagnolo Shamal - but worried about rotor spacing & indexing. I might just find a set of DT Swiss 350 hub carbon wheels. Alternatively I'd go for two sets of Zipps. Any ideas from anyone successfully swapping wheelsets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭cletus

Would you mind linking to the deals you saw on the 11 speed grx di2?

• Advertisement

Cheapest I found was 999 on bikable.com - I've never heard of or used that site so would look into it before ordering

Cheapest from a big retailer was Alltricks - 1249 but I have 5% discount. Comes with the 46-30 chain set which isn't ideal

Advertisement