Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toto Schillaci has died.

• 18-09-2024 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭

The top scorer of Italia '90 has died.

As someone growing up at the time Italia '90 will long be remembered as a special time in Ireland.

Nothing will ever equal it.

And Toto Schillaci was as much a part of that story as Pakie Bonner or Jack Charlton.

Castlebar Celtic built a new function room that year and after the world cup the Friday night disco in there was called "Schillachis" in his honor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

RIP Toto. I can still vividly recall the goal against Ireland!

As an aside, we need to know if @Fr Tod Umptious scored as often as Toto did, on those Friday nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You broke my heart Toto, you broke my heart!

Rest in peace legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭JVince

He was Irish - wasn't he? 😁

And he apologised for the goal https://www.newstalk.com/news/toto-schillaci-apologises-for-knocking-ireland-out-of-italia-90-1416795

RIP - another taken too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

59 is way too young but what a legacy from a short time at the very top of the game. I was playing at the time and the following season, every team had someone nick named Schillaci or Toto.
    I was also lucky enough to be in Sicily for two matches. During our week there we saw the Italians beat the Czechs on a big screen in a seaside villlage square. It was mayhem when Toto scored. Unforgettable memories.

Thank you Toto. Rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Saw this one last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Quite a loved figure in Ireland, despite what he did to us, such is the love in Irish people generally have with the Italian national team.

When mentioned, one of the most revered figures, in Irish football folklore. Bit mad when you think about it, but Ireland tends to have a soft spot for Italian footballers for some reason.

Outside Italy, you won't find another country other than Ireland, that holds Totti in such high esteem! We know our football!

Love Schillaci in the same way I do Pippo Inzaghi. The ultimate opportunists. Useless generally, without "big attributes", but offset that with their positioning and reading of the game.

They're possibly the two greateat players, where physically, had nothing going for them, but could read the game better than anyone, and position themselves in the right place for big moments. Absolutely no football in either, just crafty!

I've always regarded both, as the two who got the most from their talent. But I'd take it further. They're the two players who made the best careers from actually having no footballing talent whatsoever. And that in itself, takes talent!

Advertisement