Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PureTelecom - switching provider.

• 18-09-2024 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭

I have arranged to switch to Sky from Pure Telecom in about one week's time. This ensures I am not without service due to lag in switch over.

My contract with Pure Telecom ends on 26th Sept.

Pure Telecom have issue notice to me as follows

I would advise asking your provider to take over after 26/09/2024. If they take over before this date, a €150 termination fee; plus, clawback fees will apply.

to which I replied I am not terminating my contract and will make all payments to complete the contract.

I received the following in response to that.

If Eir take over before 26/09/2024, it will automatically cancel your services with Pure Telecom.

Therefore, termination and clawback fees will apply.

Has anyone else met this situation?

What should be done?

It looks like I am facing an extra bill of about €200 if this sticks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Arrange for Sky to switch you over on the 27th. Issue solved. You won't have any downtime as even when the service switches over your Pure telecom router will continue to work connecting to Sky.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is it not normal for a switch-over to take place a day or so prior to end of contract?
    This has been the case when I switched previously.

It is not always possible, in my previous experience, to ensure the new provider takes over 'exactly' as the old service ends.
    I would rather have a short overlap of contracts for which I pay, than lose service for a short time.

The pure service isn't going to stop though until Sky take it over, so there will be no loss of service even if you went a week over the end of contract date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Unfortunately it is written into their contract that terminating at any point within the minimum term is a flat €150, unlike a lot of other providers who just charge you for the remaining time left within the minimum term:

https://www.puretelecom.ie/terms (7.2 and 7.3 has them covered)

and

https://www.puretelecom.ie/other-charges

Very end of the page.

Whether they will actually pursue you for it or not - that's just a gamble you'll have to weigh up.

As others mention, though, you don't have to align the two dates - just get Sky to take over on a date after the minimum term has ended and they automatically cancel down Pure, you don't ever have to contact Pure.

In fact I'd recommend that you do, because if you serve Pure notice and there's a delay in Sky taking over the line, and Pure cancel down in the interim, then it's no longer one operator taking over a new connection but a brand new connection. In all likelihood Sky's order will then fail and you could be several weeks without service while they release the order from the system and put a new one in. You'll also end up with no end of hassle if you're trying to port a landline number over as well.

Whereas if you let Pure run on past the minimum term end date, they'll keep billing you as normal (minus any discounts that might apply for 12-months) then Sky just take over the service whenever and Pure's cancels down on that day automatically.

OK, thanks for the information.

I have changed the connection date with Sky to the 27th (day after end of contract).

I will hopefully connect the Sky hub at midnight of the 26th so I do not incur further charges from Pure for using their service 'out of contract' at their extortionate prices.

Apparently it could take most of the day for the Sky connection to be made.

Hopefully it will be early.

Thanks again for the responses.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it is written into their contract that terminating at any point within the minimum term is a flat €150, unlike a lot of other providers who just charge you for the remaining time left within the minimum term:

That is what I expected, and was how things worked this time last year.
    In fact Pure actually took over the service last year a week early in spite of me specifying the date.

Apparently if Sky take over ON 26th I will be charged by Pure Telecom for breaking the contract.

Maybe this is one way to encourage people not to switch so often. hehehehe

I just discovered a family member got caught by Pure with large payment, when his new provider 'jumped the gun' and took over the connection early.

Who is at fault and who should be paying?

The customer can only advise the provider of the date.

I guess it would be up to your family member to ask the new provider for compensation but I’d say they would be in for a battle to get anything back. Maybe a discount off for a few months at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

My Pure contract ended 16th August. I switched to Sky 15th August. The online offer Sky had was 1gb for €30 + €5 for phone service. I rang Sky to arrange the switchover after the 16th. But they couldn't take the order because the offer for €30 was online order only. I told the rep that the only reason I phoned was because I didnt want the switchover to happen until after the 16th. He said it wouldn't matter because I would have Pure paid up for my contract term anyway. So I checked my latest pure bill at the time and sure enough it stated that it was covering VoIP phone and broadband service 01/08/24 - 31/08/24. So I had my contract term overpaid by about 15 days anyway.

Then my next Pure bill showed a refund of €22.40 for 16/08/24 - 31/08/24.

So , no problems switching before contract term up as long as you've paid up until or after your contract end date. They even refunded what they owed me😁

I can only go on the clear messages I received from Pure, as I quoted above.

The last email from Pure contained this

Once Eir take over the service after 26/09/2024, you won't be liable to any termination fees.

That is very clear to me, so it looks like you got past this.

The next person might not be so lucky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement