Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin broadband and telephone problem

• 18-09-2024 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

While using Eir a few years ago, I bought a device (https://www.velleman.eu/products/view/?id=9321) that I connected to the telephone line such that, when the telephone number was called, after a certain number of rings (set a 8) the device "answered" and it was possible, by means of tones from the calling phone device, to activate a relay.

The use of the device was abandoned but now, I wish to reactivate it. However, since then, I now receive my phone (land) line via Virgin's Broadband. However, the the device will no longer "answer" when called via Virgin router. Any suggestions welcome bearing in mind that, at least for the time being, I'd like to stick with using the device.

(Some research seems to suggest that, whereas the Eir landline uses DTMF thereby thereby enabling the device to detect an incoming call, Virgin broadband does not. Is this a factor? Or is my understanding incorrect in that the DTMF aspect only comes in to play once the line to the device has been established.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is there an ATA (analogue telephone adapter) port on the Virgin router?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Darcon

Thanks for your response The Cush.

The short answer is "I don't know". There are two telephone sockets in the router. One of them provides the phone service but will not trigger the device; the other does not provide any service. In other words, linking a telephone to it does not produce a dial tone and neither will calling the phone number cause the telephone to ring. The router is a Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

If you can't get the device to work, then maybe use a smart plug to turn on and off a relay . Connect the output of the smartplug to the coil of a 240v coil relay. I use this setup to control my heating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭_John C

Or maybe use a Sonoff 4CHPROR3. This device has 4 relays.

Thanks John C. Looks like I'll be ditching the current setup and replacing it with your suggested Sonoff 4CHPROR3 . It's available on amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de or, at its least expensive, here: https://www.smarterhomeshop.eu/shop_search.php?search=Sonoff+4CHPROR3+WiFi+Smart+Switch

• Advertisement

Or search on Amazon.de for 4 Channels WiFi Smart Relay Switch Module Compatibility IOS Android

Advertisement