Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting Garden Shed

• 18-09-2024 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭

My partner has a good quality T&G shed that's about a year old and she would like to paint it for the first time as it's bear wood. Does it need to be sealed before it's painted? What paint would be the best to use?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Think about staining / oiling it instead. Much, much easier than paint when the time comes to re-do it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'd use Owatrol Textrol but its expensive. Recoating is very easy. However if you want colour I can recommend any of the garden paints that the big names do like

Cuprinol Shades, Ronseal Garden Paint and Rust-Oleum Garden Paint. I think they are all acrylics and give good coverage, dry quickly and last if the timber is good to start with.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭boardsdotie44

I used weathershield recently on my two sheds, came up great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

looks boring. I tend to use Cupinol. 2 coats. And then a top up every second year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Oil doesnt need to be plain, oils have colours

https://www.newventureproducts.co.uk/osmo-natural-oil-woodstains/178-osmo-natural-oil-woodstain

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a shed. Just lash the paint onto it and it'll be grand.

How long it'll last before it needs re-done will depend heavily on how exposed it is, if it's exposed to driving wind and rain it'll need re-done a lot sooner than if it's sheltered from the worst of the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Shoog

We used Cuprinol Shades for everything, indoors and out. Great stuff.

As others have said stains are much easier to recoat as they wear away rather than peel. Peeled paint needs loads of prep, stains none.

Advertisement