Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I Racist? - Documentary Comedy Film

• 19-09-2024 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Is this going to be released in Ireland?

Seems to have had a very successful release in America (Third Biggest Opening weekend for a documentary release in the past decade) and the Trailer looks very good so hopefully it gets some sort of release in Ireland.

80% on Rotten Tomatoes although being ignored by most big critics (only 10 reviewed it) and 98% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes so it seems to be pretty decent in fairness to it.

Seems to be a fairly good take down of the entire race hustling and DEI industry.Looking forward to watching it sometime if it's in Cinema or on DVD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Never heard of Matt Walsh. Looking up on him he seems to be some poundshop Joe Rogan edgelord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Well there is that element to him although he does speak a lot of sense at times (even though he's far too religious for my liking) .

I think anything that takes the piss out of the likes of Robin Di Angelo and the type of people that follow her advice is a good thing.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Doesn't look great at all tbh. I'm well over 'documentary' comedies about making Americans look stupid at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In case you're mercifully and luckily unaware of Matt Walsh, the film is produced by Ben Shapiro's company.

In other words: it's overtly America-centric, right-wing culture war fodder made by bad faith actors, Christofascists, trolls and political operatives. If you're into that, more power to you (I'd rather gnaw my own hand off than watch it). But important to flag it for exactly what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Where did you see it? Is it in any cinema? Or are you a member of their website daily wire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is it this Matt Walsh?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Sounds great!

Is it like Yellowstone and Reagan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

*Reads post above*

Yup, no racism in Ireland at all. Nothing to see here.

Edit: Post I was referring to was deleted.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Matt Walsh, Steve Crowder, Charlie Kirk, Tim Pool, Andy Frisella.

Ben Shapiro Rev 2.0 all of them. You've seen one of them, you've seen them all.

• Advertisement

Mod note: Deleted off topic post above.

Go ahead and discuss the film if you wish - that’s why this forum exists. Go to Current Affairs if you want to discuss the wider topic of racism.

But you're the one that won't even discuss it. You commented above, but have you watched it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think JU's post is a fair enough commentary regarding the people who made/produced/funded the film and therefore which way the film will be heavily skewed towards, rather than the topic or film itself. Same as how anyone would comment regarding an actor, writer or director.

Matt Walsh & the likes of Ben Shapiro are bad-faith personas who are never going to allow anything which wouldn't fit their purview into the film lest it upset their target audience. There's probably one interview in the film where someone counters Walsh's argument and he says "That's actually a good point" to give the perception of balance and considering the opposing viewpoint, before getting back to the idea that "Ah, racism is a little bit bad, but it's not as bad as people suggest, and therefore I'm right."

That's why as a documentary, I think this would be utterly pointless to watch. It's unlikely going to be about properly delving into a topic, its effects etc. It's mostly going to be Matt Walsh just pushing his opinion/viewpoint in carefully selected and edited interviews and voiceovers of data which skews towards his viewpoint.

It's also seems to be a piss take of the likes of Robin Di Angelo and the whole DEI hustle which has been going on which frankly they deserve to be taken the piss out of so I think for that I'll watch it when it's released in some format over here.

The whole point of bad faith actors is the whole point of the film, if they knew they were taking the piss out of them ( or allowing themselves to do that) they'd never have let Walsh into any of their meetings.

Borat was essentially a film by a bad faith actor and it was hailrious.It just seems that because he took the piss out of a different type of american so that was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I read it was more like a Borat type film, I'd hardly call that a documentary

Seems the intention of it (and from his previous film) is to give these people enough rope so they hang themselves by displaying how stupid their opinions are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Right, by carefully selecting and curating that which fits into their narrative rather than discussing or engaging in a topic. So as a comedy film if that's what someone is into, fair enough. As a documentary (and considering your previous most apt comparison to this film was Borat), it's not going to be worth watching.

Agreed. Looks like loads of piss taking. I've read movie reviewers won't review it. How childish and embarrassing, why not watch it and give reasons why you dislike it?

I think if a movie annoys many people, and challenges bad-faith personas from the left of the aisle, then it is a positive thing. I can't wait to see it.

Master of the Universe

Borat was a film lampooning American culture in general though. It came out at a time when they didn't have this ridiculous left/right culture war nonsense going on.

I just watched the trailer again as a matter of interest. 'Am I Racist?' is entirely different and very politically driven by the looks of things.

Compare that to this, completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭whatever.

So you've not watched it but chosen to demonize it, very liberal, fair and open minded altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

If he's religious, maybe he should urn his attention to that next given the influence religious nutters have on society.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Ben Shapiro is Jewish.

Master of the Universe

You can get absolutely everything you need to form an opinion about this film from the trailer.

I'd describe myself as a leftist rather than a liberal, so thankfully my worldview doesn't require me to give this particular film any credence. My post offered IMO important context on who's involved with this project and their motivations.

I'm (regrettably) familiar enough with several of the people involved - their tactics and underlying ideology - to know they deserve neither my time nor respect. I have little interest wasting my finite time on Earth repreatedly listening to people (in this case, deeply obnoxious and unfunny people) who actively, aggressively oppose virtually every basic tenet of my politics and worldview. If they want to be engaged with in good faith, then maybe they shouldn't have spent a decade operating in complete bad faith.

If you want to watch this, go right ahead! I'll go watch stuff I care about instead :)

Just watched the trailer there, looks like a laugh but I don't think I could stick a whole 101 minutes of it. This probably said it shorter and better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I wouldn't watch a Michael Moore film or another Borat film on a similar topic as I know it's not a documentary, but a partisan hit piece. Don't get me wrong in that the progressive movement can't be criticized, but I will absolutely guarantee you that him and his studio has cultivated a following that make this film look like a MENSA documentary..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I used to be drawn to this kind of stuff online. But it really is just twats trolling (and not in a good way). Matt Walsh and all the others that have been named in this tread are as bad as the people they are trying to lampoon or one up.

Their content is boarder than an episode of Mrs Browns boys and couldn't be any more "lowest common denominator" if they tried. They only target the extremes who are so far off the deep end it's almost unbelieveable. Shooting nutbags in a barrel. Isn't it amazing how they never debate or interview measured, normal Joe and Josephine Soap types?

That black women talking about America in the trailer? In real world life, people like that don't exist.

This is basically going to be Borat, if Borat during and after every "bit" gave a little nod and a wink to the audience to reassure them that he knows the story and is the smartest guy in the room.

Oh, it's coming to Ireland all right, not sure about the film though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I think Dave Chappelle says it best . .

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Anyone who thinks that trying to be edgy is a worthwhile pursuit is not worthy my time. I will be avoiding this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's yank culture-war nonsense. Wanting to preach to the choir and giving their audience an excuse to cry about being marginalised and playing victim because reviewers "won't review it" and the like.

I haven't seen it, but i've watched the trailer, read reviews and I listened to Walsh on Rogan yesterday discuss the topics and the film in depth and 2.5 hours.

I remember a good few years ago Bill Maher made a documentary caled "Religious" where he was supposed to be playing "Devil's Advocate" with religious types and asking them all sorts of questions about their faith.

I'm athiest, I dislike organised religion and what the Catholic Church did to this country over the years makes me angry. It should make everyone angry. In general, my opinions would have aligned with Maher at the time on said subject.

However, did I enjoy watching a smarmy man take pot-shots at religious folk and do the "documentary" version of pointing and laughing at them whilst saying "aren't these people idiots? We're so much smarter than them"

Nope! It's cheap. And this is cheap.

If you're actively looking to seek this out in an Irish cinema then my suggestion would be to get off social media, take a step back from your focus on the US and their dumb culture war and try to concentrate on fun things in life. You'll be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's automatically a red flag when the Daily Wire releases a movie. I'll just leave Matt's ridiculous take on the scientific accuracy of the mermaid's race in The Little Mermaid...

"from a scientific perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have someone with darker skin who lives deep in the ocean,"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s just Yankee grifter culture-war nonsense by the look of the trailer. Designed to make stupid and angry men even angrier.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

Advertisement