Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scammed Online - What Next

• 19-09-2024 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

So I was scammed online over Facebook as I clicked a link to a sports website which wasn't genuine . I rarely use social media and by the time , it was too late, and the money was already withdrawn for the items I purchased worth 81 euros .

Called AIB and informed them and got my card blocked .

However, after a few days I received an email that the item purchased have been shipped and the items tracking number received in the email shows shipment from somewhere in China .

Pretty sure whatever is headed my way is garbage / counterfeit and I am wondering if there is a way to not receive these items ,pay customs charges if any etc. ?

Also, who should be report this website to - Will it be CCPC or anyone else . I can still see that they still freely operate on Facebook .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Were you scammed or did you buy something from a website and then realised after that the items purchased were most likely counterfeit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭gipi

If you get a notification from An Post about customs charges, just don't pay them and the item will be sent back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

if you paid for a product and they deliver that's not a scam.

if you paid genuine prices for a product and receive a counterfeit that is a scam. Only you can know if you paid retail price or too-good-to-be-true prices. I buy stuff from china occasionally. Temu has tempting things. sometimes the quality is shite but i consider that a risk i take when buying from dodgey retailers.

some people buy tracksuits and runners & perfume from markets and stalls etc. same thing. if you buy Prada perfume for 20 quid or a Liverpool jersey then your not being scammed, you are buying counterfeit.

you did the right thing blocking your card. if you refuse delivery then you may well get your money back. But buyers remorse does not equal fraud. Its possible you were scammed, but id consider it equally possible based on what you said so far you have buyers remorse.

So perhaps there is a lesson to learn here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭galaxy12

The website is fake and it scams you as it goes by the name tennis point and uses their logos, products and looks exactly the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭galaxy12

I even checked the genuine website before purchasing and still thought that it's probably something running specially on Facebook :)

Of course lessons learned ,no buyers remorse just my own foolishness that I got tempted with the price difference and so easily duped .

Aib tracked the purchase and mentioned that seller shows as a minerals and metals unit in HK.

I think I may just refuse to collect the parcel if asked to pay up for it .

Thanks anyways for the comments here .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

As well as blocking your card, perhaps consider deleting Facebook. It is completely pointless. I would never purchase any product or service from a business that has been promoted on Facebook, be that Irish or elsewhere. I would take it that the company is inherently untrustworthy if they think Facebook is a valid means of advertising.

Advertisement