Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my pharmacy just being underhanded in med dispensing?

• 20-09-2024 1:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

Thinking this might be the right place for the post.
    I collect medicines monthly for asthma. My script is for 30 tablets. Depending on whose working one pharmacist gives me an unopened box with 28 in it.
    the other adds two in their foil to the box to make up the order to the script.
    I’m being charged the same every time.
    has anyone else noticed this in their medicines? Is it just the pharmacist being lazy or pulling a fast one to avoid broken packs of a product?
    Wrecks my head because over time I need that medicine when I don’t need to order others and it ends up being a second visit in a month.

Post edited by Gremlinertia on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

What does the dispensing receipt say in terms of the quantity that was delivered? (the blue receipt)

I would say that you should request the full quantity.

Also, I have heard that there is a dispensing fee for each prescription, so if you order multiple months in one go then you are saving because you only pay one dispensing fee.

If there is a Discount Chemist Wharehouse close to you, then check the price with them. Their brochure says that they don't charge a dispensing fee.

In fact, check the prices with all the pharmacies in your area. You may be surprised.

I've only ever been on inhalers, what tablets are you on for asthma?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I appear to be only able to purchase them monthly. It’s montleukast tablet. Used to be singulair

docket says 30 but box is packed and sealed with 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Is the prescription that the doctor provided for multiple months or just one month at a time?

If it is for multiple months then call other pharmacies, ask do they do multiple months at once and what the price is for one, two and three months.

Reason is that you are going travelling.

If the docket says 30, then they should be dispensing 30. Or dispensing 28, charging you for 28 and adding the missed 2 to a future collection.

If you find another place close by that's cheaper then just have your prescription moved there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I've lost a lot of respect for pharmacies when I've realised recently how much they charge and the clever way they dispense monthly.

They charge a dispensing fee for every item given out, I asked mine for their breakdown and they were upset by giving it, turns out they were adding anything from €5 to €7 per item, not a percentage.

I take a medication that cost me €54 per month. I called into a Warehouse Chemist recently and they can give it to me for €38. I went back to my local chemist and they said they could drop the price by €7 if I stick with them.

You really need to shop around and discuss your needs and question pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fee per item is the default, there's very few places that don't charge it. Some charge a markup instead, which can make cheaper drugs even cheaper but makes dearer stuff dearer.

In the old days, it was often a 50% markup and a fee per item; there are still pharmacies that charge a markup and a fee.

That model dying off plus the state getting much better buying deals has slashed the price of the most common medicines and we're starting to be one of the cheaper places in Europe for medicines - although the countries most people compare us to for obvious reasons, UK because we have a border with them and Spain because so many people go on holiday there - continue to be exceptionally cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

next time you only get 28 tablets can you ask the pharmacist why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭paddy19

You are paying per tablet. So if you pay for 30 you should get 30.

As a reference it's always worth checking the price the pharmacy gets from the HSE for each drug on the PCRS web site.

https://www.sspcrs.ie/druglist/pub

The pharmacist also gets a max dispensing fee of €5 for each item, mostly it's €3.50 from the HSE.

Defo worth shopping around for multiple months supply. The independent pharmacies often offer a hefty discount, the big chains like Boots, Pure and Lloyds won't discount for volume.

thanks to all replies. Yes I think I’m being taken for a few tablets each month. The labels say 30. As per script but the box only has 28. I’ll check it out with local pharmacies and the other recomendaciones here. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

HI, I don't think the pharmacist is being underhand; a standard month in pharmacy terms is 28 days; if you avail of the drugs under the DPS scheme (where your drug bill is capped at 80€ per month for a household) you are entitled to a 13th month.

Most pharmacies charge a dispensing fee per item; so say the drug costs €28 per box and you pay €35; that would be €7 dispensing fee. If the pharmacist was to put 2 extra tablets in the bad they could charge you €2 extra.

My daughter uses Singluar and I priced it with Healthwave pharmacies its - significantly cheaper than the local pharmacy; Healthwave price = Montelukast 5mg (Singulair) €28 for 3 months supply and €46 for 6 months supply this is based on a 28 tablet pack.

I queried this with my local pharmacy and she mentioned that she thinks Healthwave will be bust within a year - suits her to say that though!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I too wouldn't put it down to pharmacies as much as manufacturers making standard 28 day blister packs, I take a variety of meds and some are loose into bottles but the blister packs are often a weird number though thankfully two of my meds are packaged by multiples of seven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just ask the pharmacy to give you 30 every month. It’s probably just an oversight.

If the pharmacist who gives you the 28 is from abroad, that might explain it; in many European countries, they would be horrified at breaking open a sealed pack and shoving two extra tablets into it.

They've managed to not go bust for quite some time… decade or so now?

There's plenty of other local pharmacies matching their pricing at this stage too - you are then incredibly dependent on volume to get distributor discounts to make it work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭head82

My wife is an Asthmatic and prescribed a Ventolin inhaler monthly. Of late though, when collecting her prescription the Ventolin inhaler has been replaced with a generic version.. Salamol. She wasn't aware of this replacement when collecting her prescription and wasn't informed by the pharmacist at the time. Not until she arrived home did she discover the 'swap'. Didn't think too much of it as if it did the same job.. well, fair enough!

It turns out though, this generic is essentially.. CRAP! Whether it's the contents of the cylinder is different or the design of the dispenser is the fault I don't know. It just doesn't work for her.

She returned to the pharmacy only to be told medicines could not be exchanged once they've left the premises. A note was made on her file that in future her prescription was to include Ventolin ONLY.

Next prescription, same thing happened. This time, my wife checked the contents of the package before leaving the shop and after a bit of a conflab the Salamol was exchanged for the Ventolin. The Ventolin was obviously in stock but the pharmacist still tried to fob her off with the cheaper generic.

Now perhaps it's my bad mind but as my wife has a medical card and her prescription specifically states 'Ventolin', I'm of the opinion the pharmacist is trying to pass off the cheaper generic version yet claiming for the more expensive version from the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭grinder23

Same thing was happening to us from a couple of different places we check everytime now but they know now anyway and haven't had it happen in ages, can't use the salamol it's useless

Once again, people are assuming dishonesty and underhanded tactics when the explanation is a lot more innocent.

Ventolin and Salamol have been determined by the HPRA to be 'interchangeable', i.e. absolutely equivalent. Reference below:

Interchangeable List Salbutamol IC0078-138-053 100 mcg Pressurised Inhalation Suspension Products on List: 3 Date Last Updated: Thursday, March 7, 2024 (hpra.ie)

It does not matter that your wife's prescription says 'Ventolin', the pharmacist will only get reimbursed from the HSE for the cheaper version (Salamol) unless the GP has written "DO NOT SUBSTITUTE" in his own hand-writing on it.

The pharmacy did exactly what they should have done and by giving you the more expensive Ventolin, the pharmacy took a (small) hit to keep the customer happy.

Aren't pharmacists supposed to 'offer' a generic substitute where available.

Generic drugs are tested to within 98% of 'sameness' with the licensed drug but there is bound to be differences around packaging, pill coatings etc.

My mother is convinced that Panadol tablets work better than generic Paracetamol… twice the price too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

This. For my prescription it's always 28 days. The odd pharmacist gave me extra from an opened box but the head pharacist saw that one day and said the boxes should never be opened.

*I'll caveat that by saying my medication is free so it doesn't affect me money wise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ive moved this to consumer issues as it's definitely more suited to the subject, local charter applies

Grem

What's the "small hit" the pharmacy took in dispensing the correct medication as prescribed? Despite what the HPRA state, if the generic is ineffective on a particular patient then there's no point in dispensing it.

And it's not about keeping the "customer happy", it's about keeping them alive!

• Advertisement

Again, you've decided there's a rip-off happening without actually reading my post.

The poster's wife is on a medical card. That means she does not pay for the medicine, the pharmacy dispenses it and the HSE pays the pharmacy at the end of the month.

The HSE will ONLY pay for the generic version. If the pharmacy dispenses the branded version and gets paid for the generic version, they are losing out on the difference.

Now, salbutamol inhalers are cheap so the difference is not big in this single instance, but if every patient demands the branded version, then that starts to add up.

Lots of people think the generic version isn't as good as the brand name. I think a lot of people would be surprised quite how much of the 'good' stuff comes from the same pharma plants in India.

I am not a pharmacist by the way, I was a long time ago but I have zero skin in this game, clarifying that because I can guarantee your next contribution will be a dig at me for being a crooked pharmacy owner.

I would never assume a posters direct involvement in a particular topic of discussion but it helps that you have stated you had at least had some experience in this particular field.

I was unaware "the HSE will ONLY pay for the generic version". But that is ultimately an issue for the pharmacists to resolve with the HSE and is of no benefit to those patients who are dispensed ineffective generics.

"Lots of people think the generic version isn't as good as the brand name. I think a lot of people would be surprised quite how much of the 'good' stuff comes from the same pharma plants in India."

I reiterate, it doesn't matter what the HPRA state about generics, it's not simply a mindset of the patient wanting only the most expensive version. There most certainly can be varying degrees of effectiveness amongst generics.

I reiterate, it doesn't matter what the HPRA state about generics, it's not simply a mindset of the patient wanting only the most expensive version. 

It absolutely does matter, because that's the law that the pharmacists have to operate to.

Again, the pharmacy in question by the letter of the law should have told the patient to like it or lump it, they didn't, they helped the patient out and still got hammered for it.

These rules were brought in to try to get public spending on medicines under control, that doesn't work if everyone decides that they only want the most expensive option at taxpayer expense based on nothing other than urban myths and pharmacies and GPs are free to indulge them.

Do you know how this affects patients who get their drugs under the DPS scheme e.g. if drugs for my household cost €250 per month for the licensed version OR €180 per month for the generic; can I as a consumer demand the licensed version? I only have to pay €80 - I am only asking out of interest; have no issue with the pharmacist dispensing the generic where there is € saving

The legislation implies that only the cheapest substitute is reimbursable, so you'd have to pay for the entire product outside the €80 limit.

Any doctor can put Do Not Substitute against an item if they feel they need to, and a pharmacist can also decide that a different brand than the cheapest is suitable

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'urban myths'. There's anecdotal and personal first hand experience of the failure of certain generics meeting the desired requirements. I appreciate the pharmacist should not be expected to "take a hit" on a transaction but if we include the dispensing fees charged by pharmacists, I suspect the difference is compensated for in the majority of transactions.

And the "like it or lump it" attitude is one I hope does not become a staple of medical care when it comes to dispensing medication to vulnerable patients in todays modern society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

In my opinion two things should happen here: your wife should contact her Doctor and explain that she feels that Salamol isn't having the same medical effect as Ventolin. The Doctor should then review what has been dispensed then review the application/use of the product to make an assessment as to whether it's a defect with the product packaging or the product itself, and maybe talk with the pharmacist about potential contraindications (interactions) with other drugs which may alter the effectiveness of the medicine. Most likely the Doctor will then provide the "do not substitute" flag on the prescription.

Secondly, you can at your perogative open a quality defect complaint via the HPRA website, and let the HPRA deal with it from there. The one complaint probably won't change much, but at least if others report the instance then it may have a cumulative effect.

https://www.hpra.ie/homepage/about-us/report-an-issue/suspected-medicinal-product-defect

Others whom are closer to the professions may have other opinions on this, I'd love to hear them.

Advertisement