Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK moving towards economic crisis?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Bounce back from a serious drop is hardly success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ok but as you can see (ignoring the Covid years) there is no appreciable difference in UK growth rates before or after Brexit.

Ok you're right Kermit. Cumulative figures mean nothing. Snapshots of a particular period are much more informative.

It's pointless trying to discuss this with you.

Cumulative figures? You're after showing me growth rates for each quarter since 2014. Now you've undermined you're own argument the toys go out of the pram, as usual.

🙄 Firstly I don't know what the 'toys out the pram as usual' refers to, as I seldom discuss with you. Secondly, the chart was to show the trend. You can, I assume, determine the cumulative affect from it without me spelling it out to you.

I'm out at this point as it's wrecking my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Other than the 3 quarters of negative growth compared to 0 pre-Brexit. And Q1 2020 was pretty much pre-Covid too so that's arguably 4 quarters of negative growth.

You can argue your point about Brexit. That is perfectly fine and I will accept certain points. What I will not accept is people pinning it all on Brexit which in fairness you acknowledge.

We are talking about a country that came out of empire and has been in decline ever since regardless of Brexit. Brexit is so miniscule in this overall decline I find it quaint.

The real story here is a country pretending they can still maintain a publicly funded NHS (they can't and it's falling apart) and still plays an important part in the world (they don't and haven't since the USA decided so after WW2). It's a country still living in fiction and now the bills are coming due. ..and I could go on a lot.

I think what is really happening is a country in the terminal phase of it's decline. Nothing left but a sportswashing football league to extoll it's virtues. There is literally nothing beyond that. A non existent industrial base and a declining city of London propping up what's left.

It's a disaster unfolding and it very much looks like the real end is near. How that manifests itself in the years ahead we have yet to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

All true, but all the public will see is years of economic hardship under labour and by the time they turn the ship the election will be upon them with people clambering for change. Enter the Tories to screw it up again. Rinse and repeat. Such is the story of politics in democracies the world over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

This is not surprising ….. Brexit was the biggest blunder in recent UK history …. and a warning for others who fancy same ….

Post edited by Kermit.de.frog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

Brexit was the straw that broke the camels back. Let's not forget that the reason that the UK joined the EEC way back was because they were already in crisis. The fundamentals of that crisis never went away, the EU just put them on the long finger. Until Britian overcomes it's deference to upper class politicians it will never put the interests of the population above those of the super rich.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Absolutely. The country was doing reasonably well under New Labour but it is far, far too dependent on the City. Without London, the UK is poorer than the US' poorest state, Mississippi.

Rejoining the EU is the logical and inevitable course of action. It's just a question of which party produces leadership with the courage to stop pandering to declining tabloid rags and make the case openly. It will happen but not soon.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm in "the city" a handful of times a year with work and it's a great jaunt as far as I experience.

I'm in DCC multiple times a month and it's the exact same. Absolutely buzzing, great food, great atmosphere.

Neither are hell holes, you just have issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

"The City" is not the London that vast majority that live there experience.

Agreed that Dublin is not a hell hole, but it certainly has issues which are very noticeable because it's much smaller and more compact than London. Walk from the bottom of nassau street to the top of o'connell street one afternoon, stay off phone and look around you. The amount of graffiti and litter is awful for a capital city centre. It's common to see drug dealing and drug use out in the open. There were lads dealing drugs on o'connell bridge when I was crossing a few weeks ago in the same spot the tape sellers used to be in decades ago, and it was done very openly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I totally agree. My experience of London is business related and I think it's a great vibe.

Similar to DCC. I go to the nicest parts usually and I accept the less desirable parts if there's an eatery/pub/stadium that I want to go to.

Every city in the world has the posh and not so posh part. It'sbeen the same throughout all of civilisation so expecting DCC to be immune means, as I said to the OP, you've got issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2024/09/facts-about-britain.html

That is from the new study of British stagnation by Ben Southwood, Samuel Hughes, and Sam Bowman.

https://ukfoundations.co/

Edits added

This essay has been widely praised during the last few days.

It is a good description of the causes and solutions to the UK's productivity crisis.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

And?

Poor form to just dump a link from an organisation nobody's heard of. I smell another dirty "think tank".

The edits do not mitigate this being a linkdump. Sam Bowman is a crank who was affiliated with the dodgy Adam Smith Institute.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

I never click lazy link dumps. I gathered as much when it involves someone as disingenuous as Sam Bowman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭yagan

I travelled a lot around north and middle England and an awful lot of towns are simply obsolete, boomtowns in the mill era but on a steady decline since 1918. Oldham was fascinating in that at its industrial height it and the neighbouring town of Shaw had the highest rate of millionaires per head of population in England, but then after the great war it's been all downhill.

Before the great war these towns were global suppliers of finished textiles, but during the war far away markets got interrupted. Japan was one country that brought in advisers from England to help them develop their own textile industry, and so after the war the Japanese producers had now replaced the English producers.

The British protectionist response was "Buy Empire".

A lot of the Lancashire mill towns saw their populations decline as textile wages fell. Some mill owners imported whole communities from elsewhere in the empire to remain in business. Nelson in Lancaster is a notable example with the town being almost 50/50 English/Asian, whereas the next town of Colne 4km north is almost exclusively white English.

When you see some English people say multiculturalism doesn't work this is what they're usually talking about, immigration to suit the needs of one business as apposed to the needs of the greater society. Decline continued and the immigrants and their offspring are getting blamed for the decline of industries that locals abandoned in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It was the centre of the World at one point and is still one of the most important urban centres on the planet. Dublin is the capital of a small country with a population similar to Manchester. You can't really compare to compare London and Dublin. Different animals altogether.

She's still at it:

It's economic bleach and we're supposed to believe that more will help the country.

Advertisement