Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data Roaming in the UK - Help!

• 20-09-2024 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have googled this and admit to being totally confused. I am travelling to London soon for 3 days and I'm trying to work out if my data will work in the UK or will I be charged an extortionate amount for using google maps, city mapper etc.

I'm about to purchase a new phone and looking for a new plan so I would be favouring a plan that offered free roaming in the UK from Ireland. I'm sure there are many Boardsie's that travel regurlarly between Ireland and the UK and know exactly what the deal is and I'm asking if you can advise. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I am probably not the best one to answer. In my experience the problem with excessive surcharges on roaming is with British providers, not Irish, and apparently not even mainland EU ones.

However I could be mistaken.

I've seen friends from Sweden using their Swedish phones in the UK, - apparetly no real issues.

Using a British phone in the EU - except Ireland - is an issue as discribed. Excessive surcharges on roaming and using the internet, they often even need to be pre-purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

While the UK has left the EU, the major Irish providers do not charge extra for roaming there, but treat it as visiting another EU country.

There are sometimes limits on how much data you can use on EU roaming, but this won't arise on a 3 day visit.

I would just look for a good plan that suits otherwise and double check that what I said is true.

As for Google Maps, wherever you go it is a good plan to download the map before leaving. When the map is downloaded it will work for most things without a network connection at all and won't use much data for the rest. The same is true of some other map applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

In general, all Irish sim allow free UK roaming. The only issue I am aware of is 48. Contrary to what they say, their Sims frequently don't connect and need settings changed.

Who is you phone SIM with? If it's Vodafone, gomo, three or Lyca, it should fire up no bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

48 has worked for me in the UK without issues - no charges outside of plan.The same goes for 3,Tesco and Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It does work, but a lot of people find they have to change settings to make it work. Happens to me fo my daughter's phone. My gomo Sims are bulletproof and zero issues

• Advertisement

I think it's a minority but they all reach out to Boards.I had issues before the new Sims(2 yrs ago?). Occasionally the UK networks are slow to connect to data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No issue using British phone in EU. I can use up to 25gb roaming and have free calls still in 83 countries and the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Champagne Sally

I’ve a bill pay plan with 3. It’s a work phone so if I don’t have to pay for a new phone, I’d be happy. Thank you for your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Which is a function of your particular tariff, not the general situation.

The point of EU roaming is that you do not have to worry about your tariff.

Depends on the plan one has.

A vodafone pay as you go phone can take phone calls in the EU, but one can't phone anybody. That is ever since Brexit or everything that followed.

• Advertisement

It applies to 02 and other companies.Not a particular plan.The allowance amount is plan based

I would if you have a decent suggestion.

However I'd love to keep the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Are you based in Ireland or the UK? You can port your number to a new network if you wish to keep it.

Surely if you had credit on your pay as you go phone you can make calls when abroad?

Advertisement