Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Safety for accessible roof top

• 20-09-2024 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I moved into a new house. There is an extension with flat roof with a door opening out onto it. It's relatively spacious, it could easily hold 5+ people with a table with a table and chairs.

I'm just conscious that I have no idea how safe this is, or what kind of load the roof will hold.

Would I need to get a surveyor or engineer to give me an idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You would need to look at the construction or as built drawings to determine the size of the roof members.
    A surveyor is not found going to give you an indication of load. An engineer could, but he’s need to open up the roof to see what’s inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,674 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

as above plus

What is the roofing material?

Will it take kindly to chair legs/ high heels etc?

If it is deemed safe to access u need to consider where the liability lies if one of your guests ……

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A line to state that unless planning permission had been granted for use as a balcony then it will be unauthorised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Are there even railings on it? I would presume so if there's an opening door - if not then you need to get onto the developer ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Sorry I should have been clearer - it's a new house to me, not a new build. Previous owner is deceased, and we weren't given any plans or drawings

• Advertisement

No railing. It's basically just a flat roof with a lip around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,756 ✭✭✭volchitsa

What sort of surfacing is it? Does it look as though it was previously used as a balcony? (If there's a door onto it, that must have been the intention, but if there's no railing then that's a bit odd.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Structurally, planning and safety.
    You’re barking up the wrong tree I’d imagine in getting this over the line.

What do you mean? Are you saying I need planning permission to sit out on a roof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

strictly speaking, yes

if theres no railing/parapet wall of adequate height then it was most likely not meant to be used as a 'balcony' and the door was to allow for easy access for maintenance etc,

but as others have said, it also depends on the roof structure

• Advertisement

Ah ok apologies. I've done some reading up on it. This is a bigger can of worms than I initially expected. Thank you for the info.

Does the 7 year rule apply to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I think the issue here is that without further development it is unsafe to use, but further development to make it safe would not be permitted development.

The 7 year limit on enforcement action (which doesn't make anything actually compliant) is irrelevant since the unsafe use is new and any development to improve safety is also new, so the clock starts again.

It'd be handy to have a time machine so you can go back 7 years and strengthen the roof structure, but even then you wouldn't be able to do anything about falling off the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not mentioned yet, but you need to check the planning file and see what the status of the door is.

If it has permission for access then then that's what it is.
    If it was unauthorised development, then that's still that it is (7 years doesn't change that).

You could potentially sit out there without enforcement in the case of the latter. But that doesn't cover your duty of care, health and safety, building regulations or potentially insurance issues.

Thanks I'll have to find it.

It's not on the city council website. I'll check the correspondence from my solicitor

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/dublincity/search-applications/

If it’s not on the website then probably no planning for it in the first place!

Advertisement