Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating Water with Solar Panels

• 20-09-2024 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Recently I got solar panels and want to know the best way to heat water. In the past I set the timer to heat water using gas at 7 am for an hour daily. With solar panels should I use boost for an hour every morning or is there a better way to heat water?

I include the system I have for gas and electricity. Please let me know if my discussion is in the correct place and I would very much appreciate support.

PV System (Solar Panels System) supplied by Ecoplex

12 Jinko panels (0.430 x 12 = 5.16kW)

12 Optimisers (as trees near the house)

Solis hybrid inverter (single phase, 3.6kW)

Myenergi hot water diverter (eddi, model 16A1P01H, single phase smart solar diverter)

Shunt

Ber testing and report

On my phone I have myenergi app.

Electric Heaters

4 electric heaters, one is a Dimplex, model ECR20, 1.85- 2.00kW, which is a 2kW oil free column radiator. The others are also Dimplex heaters.

Gas System

Viessmann vitodens 100 - Gas condensing boiler

EPH Controls which independently regulate hot water and central heating.

Energy Suppliers

Electricity, Yuno, contract ends 19 Sept 2025.

Gas, Flogas, contract ends 16 Nov 2024.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Assuming your on Day/Night rate, then (at the moment) night time rate is from midnight to 9am. When the hour goes back, this also moves back to 11pm→ 8am.

Since Night rate is generally cheaper than what you get paid via FIT (feed-in-tarrif), your best logic is to set your Eddi to heat the water at 7:30am for 1.5 hrs, or however long it takes to heat your immersion tank….and then export the electricity you generate from solar during the day.

Just don't forget to change your schedule in the Eddi when the clocks move back end of Oct by an hour. Basically you want to also heat the water on night rate.

If you are not on D/N rate, then the strategy is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Also if you have the EV rate at night 2/5am, it would be more frugal to boost the cylinder via the Eddi then I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭noelfitz

Thanks for reply.

I do not have a battery, what I have is shown below. So perhaps I am OK now about heating water.

My next concern is heating the house, but I will raise this in a separate discussion.

Thanks to all who have helped me.

PV System (Solar Panels System) supplied by Ecoplex.

12 Jinko panels (0.430 x 12 = 5.16kW)

12 Optimisers (as trees near the house)

Solis hybrid inverter (single phase, 3.6kW)

Myenergi hot water diverter (eddi, model 16A1P01H, single phase smart solar diverter)

Shunt

Ber testing and report

On my phone I have myenergi app

Electric Heaters

4 electric heaters, one is a Dimplex, model ECR20, 1.85- 2.00kW, which is a 2kW oil free column radiator. The others are also Dimplex heaters.

Gas System

Viessmann vitodens 100 - Gas condensing boiler

EPH Controls which independently regulate hot water and central heating.

Energy Suppliers

Electricity, Yuno, contract ends 19 Sept 2025

Gas, Flogas, contract ends 16 Nov 2024. Plan Name: FixedDiscount 24H, Monthly Payment Day: 4

Advertisement