Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Permanent Fixed Term in Special School

• 20-09-2024 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello.

It's my first year out and I have been offered a job in a special school. I'm a secondary teacher, and the special school is primary and secondary.

I won't be starting until after Halloween midterm.

The phone call and follow up email offered me a "permanent fixed term" contract for the year.

What exactly does this mean?

Also, I've heard of secondary teachers getting the unqualified rate when teaching in a primary setting. Is this something I should be aware of?

I didn't see any contract yet, and I'm still waiting to hear back from interviews I've done, in schools much closer to home. They haven't specified which years or subject I would be teaching. The interview was mainly focused on dealing with ASD students. Not much about actual class content. I know someone who works in a special school and they say they had to forget everything they knew from the PME in terms of curriculum etc, because none of it mattered in that setting.

I got offered this job the same day as the interview, which kind of makes me nervous. Are they desperate for someone? It's a school in Dublin.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement