Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

George Long/Henry O'Donovan RIP

• 21-09-2024 8:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

Sad news from Australia this morning, Henry O'Donovan has passed, following a cancer battle that he documented in written and audio form as a service to anyone who wanted to follow his story …. a journalist to the end.

He would be better known here as George Long, newsreader on the pirate Radio Nova, Energy 103, Q102. He also provided some great reports for The Anorak Hour from his home in Sydney. Below is the sad announcement from his devoted partner, Caroline.

To all Henry's much-loved friends.

It is with immense sadness that I am letting you know that Henry never did wake up as I had hoped. He passed away yesterday, (Friday 20th September) at around 3:30pm Sydney time. It was incredibly peaceful ... so peaceful that I was not even sure that he had gone at first. He did not look any different ... he had simply stopped his gentle breathing altogether. He looked so comfortable, as if he had only slipped into a calming dream, and we genuinely could not work out whether he was gone or not. He was amongst friends when it happened, and we had actually been laughing about something, so if he could hear us (and I honestly think he could) he left on a wave of love and light and joy - and some considerable drama, as I think he would have wanted. I am truly bereft ... it is such a loss of such a wonderfully genuine, kind, funny, generous, and talented soul who loved so much.

I am relieved that he doesn't have to worry about the end anymore, or suffer any of the physical difficulties that made the last few weeks difficult for him, but I am still so sad. Once again, I just want to say thank you to you all for your friendship with Henry here, and on Bonditunes, and in real life too. It is nice to know that he was loved by so many. Thank you for your wonderful messages as well, I have read them all to him, and I know he heard them all. I like to think he is on a wonderful new adventure (imagine the interviews he can do now!), and I also know I will meet with him again. I am sure you will all too ... we are all connected by his beautiful shining light. Thank you again everyone for everything, you brought him such love and joy and delight. Love to you all ... I am sorry he is no longer here for all of you.Caroline

Nova News 1984 :

Back : Mark Weller, Pic of Dave Harvey, Bernie Jameson (Carroll), George Long. Front: Andrew Hanlon, Bob Gallico.

Post edited by Ger Roe on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sad news, Ger. One more of the old guard…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I was up in Dublin this afternoon and the occasional AM pirate Radio Daniella is currently playing a recording of Henry (George Long) on the pirate Capitol Radio from 1984.

A nice touch … I am sure his friends in Australia would be glad to hear that Henry is back on the radio in Dublin today.

Advertisement