Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tritin T90sr problem

• 21-09-2024 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I installed the shower about 6 weeks ago and everything was working fine till just over a week ago. I first noticed that I had to turn up more to heat the water and it’s up so high now that the pressure is too low to enjoy a shower now. Also I noticed that the fuse board sometimes makes a clicking noise when the shower is turned on. And then when the shower is turned off it makes a hissing noise and continues to run for a few seconds. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I want to rule out a problem in the house before I call tritin and change me €180 and then won’t fix it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭John.G

Have you checked the following:

Water (level) in the CWS cistern OK, this is a tank fed shower.

Filter cleaned.

Cover installed with power and temperature controls alligned correctly.

Can you hear the pump running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barneyg

I've checked all that 3/4 times and makes no difference.

I tryed to upload a few videos off my phone but cant seem to get them to upload

OK then, I would just remove the inlet filter and run the water into a bucket and measure it, it should be ~ 8.0LPM, if so, then IMO a Triton problem under warranty.

If the cistern had run dry then it may be air locked, I think there is flap inside the filter so as you can clean it without isolating the water, push this up with your finger (if it exists) to get a good flow of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 barneyg

Ok I'll try back and see

• Registered Users Posts: 43 declan b

what shower did you have fitted before this shower..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If its a Triton t90sr then I wouldn't expect anywhere near 8lpm. I think John is talking about a mains fed T80

My mains temp was 19C for several weeks and a CWSC will certainly see +20C. At a showering temp of 38C then any 9kw shower will require a flowrate of 7.17LPM from cold at 20C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭ruffmut

I have the exact same problem. Fitted the new shower last May. Started up no problems but recently it is Luke warm with the top knob in the second position and the second dial turned fully clockwise. I checked the filter this evening and it was dirty. I cleaned it but still have the same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭eggy81

There are 2 micro switches inside the shower. One for each power setting on the power dial. Each one switches in one of the 2 elements in the shower. My bet is one of them is faulty. Happened to me recently. Exact same problem as you describe. You can easily check it with a multimeter if you know how to use one. Ordered replacement for 12€ online and replaced myself.

The very first thing I would suggest is turn the tmperature control to fully cold, the power can be off on the power selector switch, hold a bucket under the shower head for exactly 15secs with the shower head in place, measure this with a 1L milk bottle, x 4 to give the flowrate in LPM, my T80 requires ~ 5.5LPM to engage the micro switches, my old Mira Sport only required 3.5/36LPM to engage them.

The triton flowed 7.9 to 8.2 LPM at full flow when I tested it on insrallation.

• Advertisement

I measured the flow rate this morning and I am getting 8.1 LPM through the shower at full flow. This shower replaced a T90xr which packed up after 16yrs.

That flow rate is spot on, the thermal cut out, TCO used to fail on the T90SR but then the water wouldnt even be lukewarm., just cold. You need a m.meter. you could also check each heating element resistance, each should be around 11.75ohms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Idea suggest one of the two micro switches are faulty or else one of the two elements has blown. Assuming the shower is installed correctly then both of these issues will be covered by the 2 years parts and labour warranty with Triton

I was in contact with Triton and I am going to book a service call over the next couple of weeks.

Just looking at that again and just wonder if the cover was replaced properly because your readings don't add up, if you mean by the Top (power) selector in the second position is one element (4.5kw) in service then the water should be so hot with the temperature selector fully clockwise (hot) that the TCO should be tripping the shower element on/off, my shower flows exactly the same as yours on full flow, 8.1LPM and only 1.65LPM on minimum flow which means theoretically a flow temperature of 55C from a now mains of 16C, the TCO will operate at 48C which is a flowrate of 2.0LPM, at a comfortable temp of 40C then the flowrate must be 2.7LPM (or 5.4LPM if both elements are on), you might just measure that flowrate sometime at that temperature setting of fully clockwise, (and maybe fully anticlockwise, again).

Hi John.G

When I say the second position, I mean the top knob on the number two setting for the elements (Fully clockwise). With my last shower the triton t90xr you would not be able to stand under the hot water at this setting.

OK, can you measure the flowrate with the temperature selector turned fully clockwise.

When (if) you have that done, turn the power (top) selector switch to one element and see if the water is lukewarm or cold.

Just done that now and I got 2.8lpm (700 ml in 15 seconds) on setting 2 and the second knob turned fully clockwise. I turned the top knob back to 1 and the water is cold with the second knob turned fully clockwise.

That means you are running on one element at 4.5kw which should result in a flowtemp of 39C at 2.8LPM from cold water at 16C. So probably either a micro switch problem or element failure. I assume that you can get 3 distincitive positions on that top selector switch, fully anticlockwise is cold, next position, I, should be one element selected and third posituon, II, is both elements selected. Triton should sort it out for you, let us know the fix.

• Advertisement

just had triton up this evening and the micro switches were faulty. He replaced them and we have hot water again.

Advertisement