Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Alignment Question

• 21-09-2024 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hello,

I have a relatively new car (low mileage, regularly serviced, etc.), but the past few days it kept veering to the left even when I was driving straight. I took it to a tyre shop to get it checked and paid €60 for a wheel alignment. I wasn’t too keen on the vibe of the place, but as a new driver, this was my first time having this procedure done so didn't know what to expect.

After leaving, the issue persisted, but it was the end of the day. I returned to the shop first thing this morning and spoke to the manager. He explained that the person who did the alignment only adjusted the front two wheels, and the back two were still off, which was causing the problem. He was apologetic and polite. The manager then did the re-alignment himself, we tested it, and it seemed to work. I drove off.

However, today I’ve noticed it still isn’t 100%. The car still veers slightly, though not as much as before.

So, what should I do?

A: Go back to the shop. The manager was friendly, but overall, I didn’t like the vibe there

B: Since they are a chain, should I ring the head office and ask if I can go to another branch and not have to pay again?

C: Chalk it up to experience and go somewhere more reputable? If so, any recommendations for the Northside of Dublin would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Best Answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Discount Tyres in Blanchardstown would be my go to. Used them for years when I lived in Dublin. €60 is about the going rate for laser wheel alignment in Dublin.

The slope of the road will tend to slightly to the left (so that rain water drains away) so your car will tend to go that way after a few seconds with your hands off the wheel. If you can find a really flat stretch of road somewhere it should stay straight on its own longer than a few seconds.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s might be no harm to return and see can you get them to have another look.

Note however that there could possibly be an underlying suspension problem, and no amount of aligning will solve that. They may be able to do some basic checks on the suspension while you are there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

If car Start pulling to side in my limit experience 10 years driving there probably wear in bushing ect

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

What car is it - a lot of modern cars dont have any rear adjustments so the manager could be telling you porkies depending on the make and model.

Id say you hit a pothole, foot path and upset the front alignment.

Now in saying that a lot of the modern stuff with electric steering always in my experience veers very slightly to the left which is quite normal.

Get it on a flat road ie one with no drain off to the left and see if it stays straight when you let go of the steering wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

€60 for 2 wheel alignment😂

• Registered Users Posts: 35 irishguy1012

Thanks above for the helpful comments.

Any reputable companies people can recommend on northside of dublin please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Also low tyre pressure will give you a drag + if one wheel was driven back slightly could also cause a drag . Stick fingers behind front wheels and check other side. Any sign of wear on tyres that could be swapped over to other side if not directional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I would ask for a printout (Before and after).

Any reputable car alignment business will give you this.

Check that it has the exact make and model of your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

+1 on this. Make your tyre pressures are correct on each tyre too.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

No sure if its alignment, balance or tracking needed or something else…

Basically the steering wheel is off a tiny bit to the left, so when I straighten it, it goes to the right (again a tiny bit)

It is that slight the wife hasn't noticed it.

What is needed to fix this?

• Advertisement

If steering wheel is off might suggest something got hit.

Laser alignment would show when steering is straight which wheel is out.

Sometimes on looking at the angle of the wheels could show where the point.

Suspension needs a closer look to see if driven back or wishbone bushes allowing too much play.

What make and model of car is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

It is an Ix35.

Got it in Jan, no visible sign of damage and cartell report didn't show any crash etc

Crash and pot hole or hitting a kerb i doubt would be listed in a crash report.

If wings and bumpers were listed then you would see it listed.

Our good roads wreck cars.

Have you driven car on a level road to see if it pulls ? Same make of tyres fitted on the front as different makes can have a different traction.

Not familiar with that model and suspension

Advertisement