Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I report a faulty RTPI display?

• 22-09-2024 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

The RTPI display at a local bus stop has been dead for what seems like weeks. In addition, while the bus stop is used by Dublin Express route 783 to the Airport, the bus stop is still a Dublin Bus one and only lists their routes. For a while there was an A4 attachment to the pole about the 783 but this has now disappeared, which must cause confusion to airport bound passengers.

I tweeted TFI about the 2 issues and got 2 replies, one more curious than the other:

Tthe phone numbers on the 1st reply seem to be for enquiries on Bus Éireann PSO services. The TFI webpage listed on the 1st reply just gives a list of operator contact details. And the 2nd reply with a link to a Bus Éireann webform is particularly absurd since a glance at my tweet would show that Bus Éireann do not serve the stop.

AFAIK, the NTA look after RTPI displays and the technoiogy behind them. The NTA website makes this clear. However it looks like that the person looking after the TFI Twitter account does't know this. This is both unsurprising and disturbing at the same time.

So my question is - how should I report a problem with RTPI and bus stop head information? Ring the NTA switchboard?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

info@nationaltransport.ie might or might not get you somewhere.

"This is both unsurprising and disturbing at the same time." NTA customer service are an embarrassment to the name customer service. I have a list of 600 issues that they expected me to upload to their website individually.

It is the responsibility of Dublin Express to erect their own signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭D8 boy

I think I have figured out why I was apparently directed to Bus Éireann. It looks like TFI have taken over customer information for Bus Éireann PSO services. The out-of-hours recording on the phone number says welcome to TFI. Perhaps TFI also deal with queries about PSO services submitted via the webform on the Bus Éireann website.

I think TFI want to take over customer information provision from the operators for all PSO services. I guess in the future, as other operators are onboarded, the webform may be branded as TFI. But at the moment it's very confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭91wx763

All these systems should log their own faults to the back office system a few times a day. If the server tries to send information and it fails a job should raise automatically.

Very true: you would think there should be something like keep alive messages which raise alarms if there's no reply. This one looks completely dead, like there's a power issue, so maybe there's a bigger issue. But it doesn't help that TFI/NTA provide no means to report such issues.

Unfortunately ,I have to agree with you about TFI "customer server". Interestingly, they have replied to my later Tweet with a different message which says the previous information was incorrect and to send them a DM. I await their response…

It is planned that the NTA bus stops will cover commercial services: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Bus-Stop-Pole-Information-Note.pdf
    It would be logical to install an NTA bus stops at any stop which is shared between different operators, to avoid street clutter and provide a consistent experience. But I guess logic doesn't come into it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I've only seen one Dublin express stop being accommodated on the new style TFI stop flag so far, and that's the stop at Heuston Station. Every other DE "stop" is a card ziptied to a bus stop pole

So I sent a DM to the TFI Twitter account as they requested. They replied to tell me to contact Dublin Bus.
    I give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The NTA are responsible for the on-street RTPI display signs.

Send an email to info@nationaltransport.ie letting them know of the location and bus stop number.

These sort of things are always better dealt with via email than via social media.

The inclusion of commercial operators such as Dublin Express on those real time signs may be more complicated - they are however available on www.bustimes.org

Bus stops are slowly being updated to new multi-operator stop poles but there are seven thousand alone in Dublin to be done. That's going to take time.

Advertisement