Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic tank alternative

• 22-09-2024 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Could anybody help, looking at buying a cottage, it's over 100yrs old, currently the water and waste runs into a stream and has always done so.My dilemma is according to auctioner there is not enough space from the well and boundries to put in a septic tank and percolation.Would I have any options.There is no option of ever connecting to mains

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How much space is around the property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

In theory you could do a composting toilet , but it's not always a great option ..

But you'll still need to deal with waste water ,

And if there's a stream on site you'll have to keep away from that ,

Also it'd be wise to get the well water tested , it's probably a shallow well , near a stream .. mightn't be the greatest ,

If your're determined, you can not use the well for drinking water , get a really good u/v filter ,

But even with that , you probably won't have space for the percolation area from any septic treatment system ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd assume the only person who can buy this place , is the neighbour/ farmer next door or what ever , because they have the space for a percolation area,

Chances are the estate agent knows this too . And is going through the motions .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP have a look at the EPA regs, IIRC there are smaller PA options which require annual certified maintenance.

If u plan to apply for planning, they will make u sort the septic tank/waste water.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

EPA COP is here:

https://www.epa.ie/publications/compliance--enforcement/waste-water/2021_CodeofPractice_Web.pdf

Something might be possible with tertiary treatment.

Suggest speaking to a few suppliers to see if they know a professional who has signed off similar, and then get a professional opinion.

I'd guess that options are completely different if the house has been in continuous occupation rather than derelict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Talk with the adjacent land owner with the view to buy some land off them.

Also don't discard the stream with regards to flood risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lottie105

Tks all for replies, think I'll avoid this, heart says yes, gut says no. The previous owner seemingly has tried to find solutions in past yrs with no luck.Just sends red flag for me, regardless of auctioner saying sure nobody has come knock on door about it 🤔

Advertisement