Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House sale

• 22-09-2024 5:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Myself and other half own a house between us and have recently separated, I'm wondering can I now sell the house or can I buy out her share, and get her out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Ae you married?

Are you getting divorced?

How long are you together?

do you have children?

Is it your primary/only residence?

Is their name on the deeds?

Is their name on the mortgage (joint mortgage)?

Depending on the answers it may be straightforward or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

You can do both with her permission and neither without it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Dig all

Sorry for not giving more information, we're not married nor have any kids, we're together 12 years, living in the house 5 year, and our both names are on the house as joint owners, we're also joint names on the mortgage, I'm wondering can I buy out her share of the house to keep it myself, or if she refuses what can I do to get her out of the house then, can I put it up for sale, any help appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't think you can do anything legally. If you think of it from both sides, she can't legally take your half of the house either or force you to move out if you refuse.

It's a jointly owned asset and a joint and several liability to pay the mortgage. Look this up, and see the consequences for both of you if mortgage is not paid in full it will affect you both.

You'll need agreement here from both sides and if one side dogs their heels in, the other side won't get what they want. You'll have to settle on something that is mutually agreeable. You'll have to communicate as business partners now if communicating as a couple is finished.

It won't matter who is responsible for the breakup either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭AnRothar

With their agreement you can "buy them out".

But as indicated above You will also need the banks agreement as they currently have 2 people to hold accountable.

You will need to take out a new mortgage in your name only.

This should also remove their name from the title deeds.

This is the only way to ensure a clean break.

Do not simply keep paying the mortgage as leaving their name on it or the deeds could give them grounds for a share at a later stage.

Get legal advice specific to your circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, as above, especo=ially the comms piece.

or if she refuses what can I do to get her out of the house is harsh language when you need her agreement.

Cheapest way is to get an agreement which may be selling up and halve the pot.

Legals on both sides could run to 10k each if you start f-ing around

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I've no idea what the relationship is like after the break up - but by the tone of your posts 'get her out' - i'm going to make an assumption that there isn't a friendly relationship.

I've a brother going though a similar process in a different country and there are kids involved; while the situation and legal jurisdictions are different what won't be different is that it will become protracted, messy and expensive if you can't come to a mutually satisfactory agreement together early on.

Forcing a sale or forcing one partner to do anything will more than likely make them dig their heels in even further.

Regardless - If i were you i'd be speaking with a solicitor if you haven't already engaged one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Lawyer. Now. Do not waste time.

As others have said, the best way to resolve this is by agreement. If you don't get agreement you can go to court but (a) this will cost many thousands, (b) it will make feelings between you even worse than they already are; and (c) there is no guarantee that you will get the outcome you want, or even your second-choice outcome.

Go to a lawyer, pay for a consultation, lay out all the facts (including — and I cannot stress this enough — the facts that are not helpful to you; the facts that your partner will be laying out to their lawyer) and ask the lawyer to project how a court would most likely resolve this question, if it went to court. Right. That's your Best Alternative To A Negotiated Outcome (or BATANO, as they say in the trade).

Now talk to your partner and try to reach an agreement. Be willing to compromise. You know what will most likely happen if you can't reach an agreement — your BATANO — so anything you can agree which is better than your BATANO is a good result, from your point of view; a better outcome, and costing less money, than going to court would likely produce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just to repeat this VIP point

(c) there is no guarantee that you will get the outcome you want, or even your second-choice outcome.

Eg should the judge take a dislike to you or your partner's legal team put on a good show for the judge, you can get , a worse outcome can be the result

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Their need not be any dislke involved, or any disparity in skill between the party's lawyers; your partner's case may simply a a better case than yours, or the legal principles that apply to disputes of this kind may not produce the outcome you want.

E.g. in this case the OP might wish the court to order that the OP can buy the partner's share in the property, but the partner might wish the court to order that the partner can buy the OP's share. The court has no particular reason to favour one member of the couple over the other and in a case like this is likely to order that the property be auctioned and the proceeds divided between the partners in proportion to their respective shares in the property. Each party is free to bid in the auction.

Or, the OP might want an order that he can buy out his partner's share by repaying his partner the total amount of deposit plus mortgage repayments that the partner has paid, but the partner might want to be bought out by being paid the market value of the partner's share in the property. In such a case the court would likely side with the partner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement