Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much is average pension?

• 22-09-2024 9:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

I know this is a very general question but how much is the average monthly pension for say a nurse,teacher, guard etc. I know there are many variables but how much would an average one be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

was it the case public servants got half their salary as a guaranteed ie defined benefit pension at retirement age and one and half times their salary as a lump sum ?

So if your finishing work on 70k a year you get a pension of 35k a year guaranteed and 105k lump sum but you don’t get state pension like non public servants who are likely to have small if any pensions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Thanks. I presume the lump sum is all taxable. 35k per year with no state pension for public servants seems a little harsh no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

lump sum shouldnt be taxable.civil pay a reduced prsi contribution but that might have corrected in the last few years.

average pension must mean per industry with c s being platinum plated once you get up the scales.

if you were one of the jobs like guards , prison officers etc I think you get it after 30 years which is a very solid pension for a long time which would have a value of 25 to 30 times 35K making 900k to 1 million of a pension fund which would be in the top quarter of pensions . Some public servants on here might know more

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hello2020

What about the late starters or if someone retiring due to bad health early? Does pension pass onto spouse upon death?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Tow

Public Sector Pension are also index linked to the current salary for the job/grade, so increase over time.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

that’s a huge benefit , public sector pensions would be better than 80% of private sector workers pensions and guaranteed as well so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭combat14

assuming one got full time contract straight away, didnt join profession later or leave earlier with actuarial reduction i.e. 40 years full time hours

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Once you get up the scales as you put it, private sector easily trumps the CS, between executive pensions, share options and allocations, bonuses, bonus pensions and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

Not true since about 2013. AFAIK it's a career average pension now across the board, not final salary. Plus state contributory cos full social insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭evillive

That's correct, it's call the Single Pension Scheme, it is index linked and unlikely to better pre 95/13 schemes

Put very simply and all subject to rules and regs

Pre 2013 on full service lump sum 1.5 * leaving salary and pension half salary made up of stat e pension and balance from employer, state pension part only receivable when you hit age

Pre 95 on full service lump sum 1.5 * salary and pension half salary claimable after 60 paid in full by employer

As far as I remember lump sum taxable for any balance over 200k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Typical teachers pension for a class D contributor, with no State Pension, would be towards 40k gross.

This is for somebody who started teaching pre April 1995.

About 750 per week gross.

TFLS.

Pension lump sums up to 200k are not taxable.

This is why many staff do AVCs, to increase their TFLS.

This formula applies to those hired pre April 1995:

Pension = (1/80) of final salary for each year worked

Lump-sum = (3/80) of final salary for each year worked

Teacher retires after 40 years on 80k.

Lump-sum = 120k tax free.

Pension = 40k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Is this the case today though?

if someone starts teaching in 2024, what would their pension plan look like?

All public servants hired since 2013 are in the same scheme:

https://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/

Vey similar to previous schemes EXCEPT it is based on career-average earnings, not final salary.

Here is the scheme booklet:

http://singlepensionscheme.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Updated-Member-Booklet_ENG-NOV-2022.pdf

Benefits under the SPSPS:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭spuddy

Roughly speaking every €3-3.2k in income someone gets from a pension from the state, is worth approx. €100k. That's because it comes with 'escalation', i.e. it rises in line with inflation, and has benefits like 50% of the pension goes to your spouse on your passing etc.

So if you're getting a pension of €45k, less €14k for the state pension, the value of your €31k p.a. is about €1m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

I totally get the question—there are so many factors involved! From what I've seen, nurses can typically get around $2,000 to $3,000 a month, depending on where they work. Teachers often fall in a similar range, but it can really vary by district. Security guards, on the other hand, usually have lower pensions, maybe around $1,500. I’ve talked to friends in these fields, and they always say it’s important to check out the specific pension plans because they can differ a lot.

This is an Irish website.

There are no school districts in Ireland, there is one national pay scale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement