Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New PC build - direction needed !!

• 22-09-2024 9:38am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭

HI,

have built a few pc's over the years and my unit at the minute is not upto the job. Bits have been updated over the years.

I mainly edit 4k gopro/drone videos but want to get back to gaming too.

Current pc has an old i7 870 (10+ years old), GeForce GTX1660ti, 650w ps.

SSD's can be re-used, but thats it.

so what would ye recommend - could possibly re-use the large case so it's mainly what cpu, mb & memory ?

And based on that would the 650w still be usable ? and the GC ?

Have about €1K to spend.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

you can sometimes pick up good value on UK ebay , good filters along the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Coyler

Forget about the PSU, it's 10 years old and probably will need adapters to work with most current equipment. The case is not worth it unless you are completely strapped. Case designs are improved massively in the last 10 years. You'd be amazed how much easier they are to work with now. And just nicer looking. That one I'm including is very much the cheapest I'd go but if prepared spring for a nicer one at €70 from Phanteks or Fractal Design or Corsair.

Just reuse the storage and pick up a NVMe when one of those dies.

Honestly, sell the 1660ti for around €80-100 and donate the rest to Camera or the Rehabgroup when you have your new system up and running.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 7600 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor | €206.17 @ Amazon Deutschland
    Motherboard | ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard | €120.02 @ Amazon Deutschland
    Memory | Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL36 Memory | €102.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
    Video Card | Gigabyte GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card | €517.98 @ Mindfactory
    Case | KOLINK Citadel MicroATX Mini Tower Case | €49.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
    Power Supply | Corsair RM650 (2023) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | €84.60 @ Amazon Deutschland
    | Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
    | Total | €1081.57
    | Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-22 22:50 CEST+0200 |

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Thanks Coyler.

Any particular reason you decided on an AMD for 4k editing. Was thinking of an i7 14700 - which I can get cheaply. Ex-employee

Forgot to mention the ps was updated so may work, but will check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭minitrue

Quicksync is a good reason to go with Intel for video editing but Intel's current (but soon not to be) desktop cpus have had serious problems with destroying themselves in a way that makes them crashy which means I don't think you will find anyone recommending a 13xxx/14xxx (same chip) for anything. Their handling of the whole issue has been less than ideal and nobody really knows if they have actually fixed all the problems with the recent microcode update.

I'm personally pondering if I should just bite the bullet on a machine that would be video editing along with another related task and the only Intel cpus I'm considering are the 12th gen (12700K or even 12900KS). I'm only even considering them because the machine could end up in a strange role where quicksync is vital. At this point I'm personally waiting for the next generation of Intel chips and AMD motherboards to land though before I decide what my wallet might allow.

Ignoring the Intel issues though, the 14700 is on LGA1700 and the next Intel chips due soon (likely in the next month or so) are both a complete change in approach/redesign but also on a new platform so LGA1700 is a dead end. AMD on the other hand have promised to stick with AM5 until 2027 or beyond. Intel's cpus also burn power in a way the AMD cpus don't.

What I will say about Coyler's suggestion is I think it is extremely gaming focused and cpu light/graphics card heavy. I'd also suggest you investigate carefully just what graphics cards your video editing software likes and how much significance the card will have on the editing you do. For gaming I think AMD gpus offer raw performance/€ and cheaper ram but nvidia remains the safe choice really for everything gpu heavy that isn't gaming, like some video editing. Of course the ideal nvidia cards for video editors are the 4070ti and up for the dual encoders but even the cheap 4070ti I spotted the other day was over €700 by the time it gets here so your budget wouldn't like that at all!

So here's a wildly different idea, based on the Intel suggestion, Coyler's little stretch of the budget, extremely cpu video editing focused and taking into account you are still on an i7 870 15 years after it launched so may not be prone to platform upgrades while a gpu swap is obviously not an issue to you!

CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KS 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor (€300.99 @ Computeruniverse)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€76.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Taichi ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€191.89 @ Computeruniverse)
    Memory: Kingston FURY Renegade 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory (€304.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (€126.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1066.66

Your 650W is about at it's limits with the 1660ti added to that but assuming it's a solid PSU it should be fine until you bite the bullet on a gpu upgrade. The board is a premium z690 that was still €400ish at the start of the year, even with the shipping pain (lessened by the 12900KS from the same place) it's a steal but quite possibly overkill as things like 8x8x pci-e support and thunderbolt may never be of any interest to you!

With gaming in mind (or if your video editor and editing style takes advantage of the gpu) and given you have slogged away with the 870 until now though you can of course cut back on pretty much everything to get a gpu in there instead

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12-Core Processor (€224.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€39.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-S WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€163.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory (€101.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case (€65.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €596.68

On top of that if you want to land "close" to the €1000 then:

Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card (€435.10 @ Amazon Deutschland)

And if you feel like stretching:

Video Card: Palit GameRock GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card (€673.99 @ Computeruniverse)

Though the shipping there will add more pain and the 650W power supply would really be at or even just beyond it's limits if your editing (rendering really presumably) pushes everything to the max! TBH I only really mention it for completeness though perhaps the value in keeping your old PC intact (at least apart from most of your ssds) might be worth it to you and you feel like pushing the boat out.

For gaming without ray-tracing the 7800XT Coyler mentioned is between 30% (1080p) and 50% (4k) faster than the 4060ti and 10% to maybe 16% behind the 4070ti (though the 7800xt has a more future proof 16GB of vram).

And before I forget, just how many sata ssds do you plan to put in there, if it's more than 4 you might need to pick your motherboard more carefully.

If you went the AMD route I'd suggest considering the 7900 or 7900X 12 core parts, for gamers they aren't so interesting but with video editing in mind they are probably the best value. Of course putting one of those in throws the budget out of whack so you would be more in the 4060ti gpu league than the 7800xt, unless you go with no gpu for now in which case it's just about how much ram and ssd you get ;)

I've typed too much as usual but hopefully some useful food for thought to help you towards the right answer for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Coyler

You are not wrong @minitrue. I did focus more on gaming :) My logic was purely that the video editing would not be that taxing to any half decent machine and that unless your day is taken up with video editing, going beyond a 6/12 or 8/16 core/thread CPU is going to get you very limited returns.

If I was to argue for an Nvidia card, and there is good reason to especially for video editing, I'd go for the 4070 Super. But that is entirely up to your budget. And if you pick the GPU for the video editing a 6/12 CPU will be just fine.

https://www.techspot.com/bestof/gpu-24-25/

Post edited by Coyler on

• Advertisement
Advertisement