Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you evict a tenant after RTB hearing in your favour.

• 22-09-2024 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in the current process necessary to get a tenant out after they have been through all the RTB process and lost. NoT is valid. If the tenant carries on paying rent but does nothing to move must the landlord then need to go through the courts?

Wake me up when it's all over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mountai

District Court is next step .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Yes, once the RTB finds in the landlords favour, typically the landlord must then go through the Circuit Courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Whats the time scale and what sort of cost for the courts?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've seen people post timescales of up to 10-12 months. If your tenant is shameless, well motivated, and doesn't need to leave the place, then it will lengthen the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Does the OP taking rent from the tenant make a difference to trying to get them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,291 ✭✭✭paul71

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

Not legally; all it would really mean is that the tenancy can't be terminated for arrears, but as long as whatever other reason the landlord used to terminate the tenancy was valid, that won't matter at this stage. If the tenant stopped paying rent, that might make them appear less sympathetic in any future court proceedings, but if the tenant is trying to pay and the landlord is refusing to accept it, that isn't going to score any points for the landlord with the judge, so all that would do in the end is cost the landlord that rent money, which would be utterly foolish. An overholding tenant who's paying rent is a pain, but is still far better than an overholding tenant who's not paying rent, and it'll take just as long to get rid of either once the RTB has decided in the landlord's favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hontou

To answer the OP's question: you can't (as far as I've observed). The government prefers rogue tenants to be private landlords problems rather than theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If the tenant continues to pay rent, engages with the court and claims leaving would make them homeless, it could be years before being granted an actual eviction order. Depends on how they come across and what evidence they present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

As far as I'm aware, you go to the District Court to obtain an Enforcement Order. The judge will probably give the tenant additional days/weeks/months to leave. If they stay after this, you can contact the Sheriff's office to have the order enforced and the tenant physically removed. I believe you can also hire licensed "enforcement guards" via a private security agency to do this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement