Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using Solar Panels to Heat a House

• 22-09-2024 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Recently I got solar panels and would like to know the best way to heat a house.

At present I use my gas system to heat the house for an hour (boost) when needed.

^^^ ^^^ ^^^

PV System (Solar Panels System) supplied by Ecoplex

12 Jinko panels (0.430 x 12 = 5.16kW)

12 Optimisers (as trees near the house)

Solis hybrid inverter (single phase, 3.6kW)

Myenergi hot water diverter (eddi, model 16A1P01H, single phase smart solar diverter)

Shunt

Ber testing and report

On my phone I have myenergi app

Electric Heaters

4 electric heaters, one is a Dimplex, model ECR20, 1.85- 2.00kW, which is a 2kW oil free column radiator. The others are also Dimplex heaters.

Gas System

Viessmann vitodens 100 - Gas condensing boiler

EPH Controls which independently regulate hot water and central heating.

Energy Suppliers

Electricity, Yuno, contract ends 19 Sept 2025

Gas, Flogas, contract ends 16 Nov 24. Plan Name: FixedDiscount 24H, Monthly Payment Day: 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

This is a non runner, even with battery storage for the reasons shown in the pic below

What did the BER DOW give as the expected kWh per annum

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/ndicative-relative-solar-output-vs-heat-demand-Source-4133_fig1_356218152

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you mention a probable 8kW of electric heaters, attached to 5kW of generation - so even when the solar generation is maxed out, you're only going to be able to just over half power the heaters. and as Calahonda52 points out, the time you need the heat is not going to be the time you'll be generating the electricity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Simplest way:

Export in summer use, that credit to offset your gas bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

IMO he won't see 5 as he has 3.6 inverter

this is from a DOW on my desk now: 440 by 18 panels 8 east 8 west

12 Jinko panels (0.430 x 12 = 5.16kW)so based on above he will get about 4,000kWh

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And the price difference between the 3.6 and 5kW is so little would be better off with a 5kW anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭noelfitz

I am very grateful to all who replied to my query about the best way to heat my house now that I have solar panels. I appreciate very much the help I received.

I enclose an update of my energy resources.

Calahonda52

I see clearly from your post that solar panels generate electricity/heat in the summer, but is needed for heating in the winter. Thus selling electricity to the grid in the summer and using gas to heat in the winter seems best for me, especially as I do not have a battery. The heat can be augmented by a Dimplex if needed.

I did not know what BER DOW meant, now I see it refers to Building Energy Rating – Declaration of Works. As my installers are liaising with SEAI re my grant I cannot supply the information you request, but my BER is C3 and in 2023 I believe my consumption of electricity was 4935kWh.

Magicbasrarder

I have the Dimplex heaters for many years and they are not all the same size, but the one I mention is the largest Twelve 0.430kW panels were recommended by Ecoplex.

Again ir seems that my best option is mainly to use gas for heating, as I did in the past.

Graemark

You clearly point out my best option.

Summary

From this discussion it seems to me now that I should do as I did in the past and use gas as the main source of energy to heat the house. It can be augmented by using Dimplex heaters, especially if only one room needs heat.

PV System (Solar Panels) supplied by Ecoplex

12 Jinko panels (0.430 x 12 = 5.16kW)

12 Optimisers (as trees near the house)

Solis hybrid inverter (single phase, 3.6kW)

Myenergi hot water diverter (eddi, model 16A1P02H, single phase smart solar diverter), Serial Number 24537540

Shunt

Ber testing and report

On my phone I have myenergi app

Electric Heaters

4 electric heaters, one is a Dimplex, model ECR20, 1.85- 2.00kW, which is a 2kW oil free column radiator. The others are also Dimplex heaters.

Gas System

Viessmann Vitodens 100 - Gas condensing boiler

EPH Controls which independently regulate hot water and central heating.

Energy Suppliers

Electricity, Yuno, contract ends 19 Sept 2025, Plan Name: FixedDiscount 24H

Gas, Flogas, contract ends 16 Nov 2024

Advertisement