Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patio and Window frame question

• 22-09-2024 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭

A couple of years ago, I had my patio done, and I've recently noticed that part of the plaster has come off on the house wall

where the patio connects to the window. I'm reaching out for some advice on how best to fill this in and repair the area.

Additionally, since I live in a timber-frame home with concrete blocks on the exterior, I am a little concerned about potential water damage. Although I haven’t seen any signs of leakage inside the house yet, I want to be proactive and ensure that this doesn’t become a problem in the future.

Could you recommend the best material or method to fill in the area and advise me on whether I should be concerned about possible water damage? I'd appreciate your insights.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, there should be a plastic layer enbedded in the lower part of the wall between the blocks called a DPM (damp proof membrane) and this normally comes out of the wall (covered over by render) at the point of the window/door opening like this and overlaps with another DPM which runs under the cill of that window there. In effect this means that there should be continuous protection against ingress of water at this point. The render effectively is the most outward protective layer and it's unlikely that there is water ingress at this point.

Really to fix this, the render should be patched up at that point using an good quality external filler, an example of one is below. I'd remove that little square of render then clean out the gap with a toothbrush (so that there are no loose bits), and then fill the gap with the filler as per the instructions on the filler, but pack the filler in well by pushing it inwards. Fill it slightly higher than the surrounding render and then use a slightly damp sponge to tap the surface of the filler to create a slightly raised finish. Then let it set. A lick of paint then after a few days - if you have it - otherwise leave it. All should be good.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/toupret-exterior-quick-fill-1ltr/986he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭skulltown

Great advice I will give the filler a try and thanks for putting my mind at rest

Advertisement