Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting out approx 35 acres?

• 22-09-2024 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

In the Midwest and have been only keeping the few cows for payments since the father died as he sold off all the machinery etc let the sheds go to **** and frankly at mid 30s myself don't think financially it's even worth investing to bring it all back, I reckon I'd nearly be 70 by the time I'd break even on a rough calculation of 50k minimum needed to bring it back into play.

So I was thinking should I just rent it out? It's just I've no experience with renting proper bar selling the odd cutting of fields etc.

We used be in the GLAS and I missed ACRES cause the name wasn't changed over in time. With the farm payments and GLAS it was worth about €7,500 + or so with minimum expenses

But I'd hardly make that in rent would i? There's a couple acres kinda wet ground but then it balances with some very good land.

Someone said you can let the person renting draw the entitlements? Would that be bonus to getting someone to rent or how does it usually work? Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭satguy

Why not just sell it and move on ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Because my home is here and attached to the land. My community is here. It's extra income, I'll have family who may want to use it when I move on etc not interested in selling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Keep it. If you have or ever have children you might get a site on it in years to come. Will be a good foot up for them.

Can you segregate the poorer bits into a scheme yourself and then rent out the better ground? Some of the others on here would know the process of that.

As with all renting, make sure you know who you are getting as a tenant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Talk to a local auctioneer, long term lease is tax free, which means a lot if your paying the higher rate of PAYE tax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭limo_100

maybe if you hold on in a few years you will be able to get into the next acres or whatever else they come up with. Then u will be be able to make the 7k a year with minimum effort which would be possibly more than the rent you get plus what you can make yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

REnting land is like marriage it works best if you find the right person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭QA1

In your in mid west ring gvm Kilmallock they let a power of land let it 5 year tax free and lease out entitlements to person renting as well

Advertisement