Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back on two wheels after 16 years, what bike?

• 22-09-2024 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭

Coming up on 18 years now since I last rode a bike. I've said many times over the years I'd get back on them. Mainly just family commitments and partly money kept me off them. When I last rode I didn't have car, lived in Dublin and bike was how I got around. Running the bike became a luxury when I moved down the country and had children. Rode daily for 7 years, 125 scooter for a year then got BMW F650 CS which I rode for next 6. Rear shock started leaking just before my daughter was born. Parked it up, said I'd fix it in the summer then that became next summer and 17 summers later it's still in the parents in laws shed. Would cost more than it's worth at this stage to fix and I may just see if I can sell for parts.

Was originally I'd buy second hand but feck me the prices. I knew bikes always kept value well if looked after but it really has gone crazy 80% of RRP for 5 year old bikes!

I've Honda CB500 or NC750X, Tracer 700 are probably main options I was considering of the Japs. Honda do have a €1k of the NC750 at €9699 the moment. Staying with a BMW are very tempting though with their low PCP rates. Means not have to empty out the saving account and wife killing me. Cost of credit of anything else would add way to much to price unless I buy for cash.

The G310 is certainly a very cheap way back on them. The light weight makes them tempting though I'd be worried about I'd very quickly find them underpowered. The F900 may be to much for me starting back though, 17 years ago I'd have had no issue moving up to it. Know my F650 only had 50bhps but 34bhp is a nice bit down on what I was used to. I rode the 650 restricted for a year and it was noticeably livelier after the restrictor fell off!

310's are the sensible option I think I can trade up after a year or two when I have got used to riding again and worked up some no claims. Think I would prefer the R version. It's €1k cheaper but buying a screen and luggage rack will eat up a nice chunk of that. The GS is more practical but I prefer the road biased tyres and position of the R. I had loaner F650 GS a fair few times during service and I always found the upright position and feet forward weird and it handled no where as well as the CS version.

F900XR is the probably the money no object option. RRP starts at the €14200 not the price on finance example so not quite as dear as it looks in that. Though would be hard not to add a few options certainly looking at around €15000. The price on the F900R is very tempting though. With a screen and pannier rack it will do everything I want long term. Biggest issue may be with insurance if I tried to go for it having no No-Claims bonus.

I looked at them yesterday and sat on them. The 310 were a lot easier to manoeuvre and pull out to sit on, I am well out of practice moving them! I'd definitely be far less likely to drop the 310s. Seems to no issue with test riding so I guess I will take the 310R and 310GS out and see how I like them. If I feel comfortable I'll try the F900's. I honestly think I should be okay, I rode almost daily for years and was always a careful and conscientious rider. I did do a bit of training back in the day but a refresher course probably wouldn't be any harm.

I do need to budget for new gear also but think my old gear will do to start and replace later. Need to get out my Dainese leathers from inlaws house, I think they are still okay. I did clean and treat them at some stage in but that may be further back than I think. My boots and gloves are in okay nick but will need to buy a new lid. Might just take a spin up to Cotters to try a few and buy one.

Sorry for image a text dump but helps me get all info in one place!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Mad_Lad

Any interest on older cheaper bikes like CBF600 or Triumph Bonneville T100/120 ?

I'd be more inclined to go that route than pay so much for a new bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Why not see what the bike in the shed costs to get on the road again first? If stored in a dry shed you could be surprised how little it costs to get on the road again.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

I thought about the CBF600 alright does seem like a reasonable option for something reliable that I could chance picking up privately at the 3 to 4k mark. I'd be happier buying from a dealer though for some comeback hope bike is mechanically sound and not going to need money spent on it. Looking at more like 8k for something fresh.

Retro bikes aren't my thing, if you can find me a good price on a Tiger 660 I'd be tempted. Friend has a Speed Triple and it does sound great.

2 year old for 78% of new price in a dealer.

5 year old NC750X for €8k for a bike that currently is 9.7k new!

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2019-honda-nc750x/37369156

At those prices paying 12k for the F900 R seems like a good deal for a bike with 0 miles, 3 years warranty and can be certain was never dropped, crashed or abused. 1.9% PCP makes spreading the cost over 3 years much more palatable as the cost of credit is so low. 12k spread over 3 years is easier get buy wife than taking 9k out my savings now!

The pricing on the G310R makes it especially affordable. Biggest question with the 310 it enough bike for me for 2 years. Test ride will give me a good indication that. I live in country side a lot of the roads I'm going to be on have an 80 limit, I won't be doing motorways and if I do decide to do some touring it will be the scenic route. It's a very light bike and I only weigh 70kg so 34 bhp may actually be okay for a bit.

I think I could trade up then at a reasonable cost after 2 or 3 years and with some no claims discount worked up. I'll just save some extra over the 3 years so I have the money in a pot to pay off the GMV or put into trading up.

Did consider that but in I'd be looking at the guts of 2k I'd say. Rear shock is about 400 and a pig of a job so labour will be expensive. Drive Belt is around €300. Going to need a lot of other parts also tyres, brake lines etc. Front Shocks will probably need work also. I moved it two years ago when they were doing work in shed and it was in poor enough nick. Any rubber on it was pretty perished. They had thrown a plastic sheet over it which I didn't know about for years which I wouldn't say helped with corrosion. With a good clean though maybe it's not as bad as I think.

If I had the space and time to tackle the more basic jobs maybe I could do it but I really don't have the free time or energy to tackle it. I can service it and do easier jobs like brake pads but in reality there's not much on the bike that doesn't need replacing/repair and it needs to be fully stripped and rebuilt. Easier just scrap for parts or as a project for someone who can do it themselves. The engine actually has less than 10k km on it as I had a good will warranty replacement on it at 4 years old.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

well, my SO was in a similar boat a while back. She had ridden F650s back in the day - when she went back on bikes she started on an SV650 which is an excellent bike. Simple, comfortable, torquey.

She then had an 800cc F-GS and whilst it was great, it wasn't perfect, and something always niggled about it. On the + side, is was light, factory lowered, nice torquey engine and very economical.

We looked at the GS310 and ruled that out straight away: just too, too small (powerwise), and not that refined. A Honda CB500F would be a better bet for similar money (used).

Then one day at a bike event, she got a chance to see a Honda NC750S, and she ended up with one of those and loves it. She finds it much better (for her) than the BMW was. Ironically, she didn't even notice the extra 39kg in weight……..which she always assumed is what was putting her off 'big' bikes. It's not, it's C.o.G., balance, and the easy-going nature of the NC that made it a winner. The only NC on sale now is the NC750X, but that too is a great bike.

My son, after his stint on a 125, got a 2017 Honda CB500F and I have to say, that's a brilliant bike as well. Comes as a CB500X as well, which is equally brilliant, and I do see there's an end-of-season offer from Honda on their range atmo.

My last 2 bikes, both coincidentally also Honda's, were bought at end-of-season too (2018 & 2021). For reasons of commerce, sales targets, bonuses and clearing out stock that would otherwise sit in the showroom 'til the spring (tying up capital… ), end of Sept is a good time to buy imho.

I've had good experiences with BMW's generally, but in terms of residual value and bulletproof reliability, hard to beat a Honda imho, and that's where I'd be going, but I do like several of the Suzuki's as well, and they're often even better value.

[edit] I've just realised that after decades of no Honda's, we seem to have got an awful lot of them in the last 5 years (5 in fact) - that wasn't deliberate, so it must say something about them.

For balance (sic), I have a H-D for the last 18 years as well….

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

We looked at the GS310 and ruled that out straight away: just too, too small (powerwise), and not that refined. A Honda CB500F would be a better bet for similar money (used).

That is my biggest worry that I'll just find it underpowered. Did you actually test ride it? The performance figures seem just about acceptable. Torque is way lower though and obviously will have to be worked hard to get those figures. I used to absolutely ring the neck of the 650CS as I was well used to the limits. I know the 310 will feel brisk enough at first but I'm sure I won't be long feeling like I really have to work it. Won't help that it sounds a bit like a lawnmower. 🤣

Tempted to just go with the F900, bit worried it will cost too much insure initially though or even have issues getting insurance. Must look for some quotes.

CB500 and NC750 are very much on short list as you said they can't be bet for reliability. While CB500 is tempting price wise think I would stretch still to NC750. Has that bit extra power that I'll be happier on it long term and as you said it does seem from reviews to hide it's weight very well with low centre of gravity. Cubby in tank space is extremely handy also. I had the hard tank case for the 650CS and it was really handy to keep wet gear and my chain and locks in it at all times. Only thing even at the discounted rate @ €9700 its will end up costing more than an F900R with the higher APR. I can't throw all my savings in, wife will kill me and still need to pay insurance, buy helmet and replace most of my protective gear.

Not chasing 0-60 times! Just want enough power for motorways and comfortable over taking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭johnml

I'm probably going off topic slightly, but if you buy a new BMW on PCP do your monthly repayments stay the same or increase if you opt to trade the bike in for a new one (same model) at the end of the term?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes, we both rode the GS310 - if you've ever ridden a bigger bike it's a climbdown. Maybe coming up from a 125 you'd appreciate it more.

If as you say, motorways and overtaking is part of the need you have, the bigger bikes will be far better at that, and more comfortable at it as well.

The torque figues of the NC tell you all you want to know: most torque, lowest rpm = easy peasy to ride.

Apart from that the Honda's (any of them) are far more refined to ride. I think you'll find the Honda's will hold their values better too - we sold our 500 recently after 2 years and it only lost €500 in 2 years. Can't see any BMW doing that.

I think any of the 500's are good value and will be very reasonable to insure as they are A2 legal. The NC tank storage is a major boon imho and again is a low-rise insurance bike.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Banzai600

couple of things….

if off bikes for a while do some refresher training, will do you no harm, and gain confidence. i couldnt class the nc as a heavy bike like you alluded to, weight is down low. any large-ish cc bike will have weight in it.

if you're going finance, try go elsewhere rather than giving dealers and finance houses even more money.

ive been around the block, 310 gs is mad money when you compare to whats out there. id have the honda CB300R over it by miles.

go for a twin engine, like the larger NC750 you mentioned. loads of torque, smooth, and economical with good handling. Shop around, most dealers are inflating used bike prices to a ridiculous degree, id rather walk than pay the prices some of them are selling at. If buying used, dont stick to Dublin, do your research.

The tracer 700 gets remarkable reviews and that engine itself is a peach. Go to Yamaha direct to see what they have in stock.i think yamaha are on the cusp of releasing a fleet of models wit their new Y-AMT automatic system, id say announcements to what models for next year will be within the next month or so.

shop around !! Dont get railed into purchasing, make sure you're 100% happy.

Advertisement