Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Invalidity pension and inheritance

• 22-09-2024 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1

Hi,

so i have a question, I'm Currently on invalidity pension. I have chronic condition and unable to work

Due to a recent passing of a sibling i'm now the only child left in the family (unfortunately) and house and money will be allocated to me. Am i still entitled to my invalidity pension. what are my entitlements here?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

IP is social insurance.

Social insurance is based on SI contributions.

Social insurance benefits are not means-tested.

IP is not social assistance.

Social assistance is means-tested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social-welfare/disability-and-illness/invalidity-pension/

Invalidity Pension

What is Invalidity Pension?

Invalidity Pension is a weekly payment to people who cannot work because of a long-term illness or disability and who are covered by social insurance (PRSI).

At 66, you transfer automatically to the State Pension (Contributory) at the full rate.

Invalidity Pension is taxable.

You can get the Free Travel scheme with Invalidity Pension. You may also get extra social welfare benefits such as the Household Benefits Package.

How to qualify for Invalidity Pension

To qualify for Invalidity Pension you must meet both:

• Social Insurance (PRSI) rules – see below
    • Medical rules – see below

Social insurance (PRSI) rules

Only PRSI contributions at Class A, E, H and S count for an Invalidity Pension. Most employees are covered by Class A.

You must also have a certain number of PRSI contributions to get an Invalidity Pension.

To get Invalidity Pension you must have at least:

• 260 (5 years) paid PRSI contributions
    • 48 weeks of paid or credited PRSI contributions in the last or second last completed year before the start date of your permanent incapacity for work. The start date is decided by the Department of Social Protection (DSP). It is usually after you have been unable to work for one year. But it can be less than one year if you are permanently incapable of work for life.

If you need your social insurance contributions paid in another EU/EEA member state to help you qualify, then your last contribution must have been in Ireland. Read more about combining social insurance contributions from abroad.

You cannot use voluntary contributions to meet the PRSI rules.

Medical rules

To get Invalidity Pension you must meet the PRSI rules and be unable to work because of an illness or disability.

To meet the medical rules, you must:

• Have been incapable of work for at least 12 months and be likely to be incapable of work for at least another 12 months (you may have been getting Illness Benefit or Disability Allowance during that time)

Or

• Be permanently incapable of work (in certain cases of very serious illness or disability, you can transfer directly from another social welfare payment or from your job to Invalidity Pension).

A Deciding Officer in the DSP will decide if you meet the medical and PRSI rules for Invalidity Pension.

Invalidity Pension and work

You cannot do paid work and get Invalidity Pension. You must get permission from the DSP before starting voluntary work.

If you want to return to work or self-employment, you may be able to transfer to Partial Capacity Benefit (PCB). You will qualify for Partial Capacity Benefit if the restriction on your capacity for work is assessed as moderate, severe, or profound.

Education and training

If you want to do an education or training course and keep your Invalidity Pension, you must contact the Invalidity Pension section and get written permission before you start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

IP is not means tested but there may be tax implications .

Advertisement