Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cloned hdd

• 23-09-2024 5:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭

I had issues with hdd in July so cloned the drive to internal ssd. Took a spare clone as well on usb.

Last week after a powr cut the ssd drive would no longer boot & shows SSd as mass external storage. It has lost the ability to boot. I've tried everything in bios. It's not the connections to the motherboard as I've also used tested those with other drives

I've also downloaded the w10 repair bootable USB but it seems to run into error when installing & when I run it just runs into error.

The older USB clone is running fine on USB.

How do I get this to update with my files from the ssd that's not showing as mass storage device. Is there anything special I need to do to copy the files over?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just want to be on same page…
    "…so cloned the drive to internal ssd" - are we talking clone or was it just copy data?
    Is SSD readable if you connect to other computer, can you see your data there?

"I've tried everything in bios" - Can you expand on this?
    "…bootable USB but it seems to run into error when installing & when I run it just runs into error." - at what installation step does it fail, what is error statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

I took 2 cloned copies of a failing ssd in July. The ssd is internal and that's what I left in the pc. Ran fine till a power cut last week & now won't boot. I have it via an adapter to another pc & can see the data.

I still have the other cloned copy on USB from July so obviously the data isn't up to date on the spare cloned USB but it's booting fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭loopymum

Actually the usb only boots if csm is disabled. I can see the ssd as a storage device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

So SSD is readable - good. you should be able to copy your latest data from it.
    SSD does not show up as bootable device - on startup message display "no bot device…", but you can see it in BIOS and it is set in boot order , right? Try toggle "secure boot" and see if it makes difference

Advertisement