Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home electricals - training course

• 23-09-2024 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

is there any course out there that a home DIYer could do to be able to competently change lights/plug sockets/install oven hob etc?

Had to get a lad out to replace an immersion timer recently and felt like it was a job I could have done myself if I knew how. 150 quid gone etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭JL spark

come with me for a month and pay me €500 a week and I’ll give you basic training,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There is. It's called an apprenticeship and getting a trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

YouTube has all you need for basic stuff but only try do what regulations allow you to do, and ALWAYS turn off what you are working on at the consumer unit. If in doubt don't try it, electricity will kill you if you don't know what you are doing.

https://www.hsa.ie/eng/topics/electricity/inspection_and_testing/works_needing_certification/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CLike%20for%20like%E2%80%9D%20replacements%20of,Controlled%20Works%20or%20Restricted%20Works.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't think you will find anyone to give such a course as people who are qualified electricians are generally paranoid about the possibility of amateurs getting injured or causing damage. They may also be a little concerned about loss of revenue.

If you understand the concepts of alternating current, voltage, current and watts, and are fairly good with your hands, it should not be a problem. You'll probably find books on the topic in your local library as in addition to the information you get from Youtube. Be aware that rules may have changed since the books or videos were published.

As mentioned above, always isolate before working, and then test to make sure that you have isolated the correct circuit.

The main official rules about what needs a qualified REC are don't attempt to wire anything from the fusebox or meter and don't do any work in a bathroom (someone may wish to add to this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have found "hobbyists" don't even know how to properly turn off the power nor how to check if the power is actually off. Then they often do jobs that are unsafe and risky.

It takes quite a bit of training to know even how to understand how the breakers on a fuse board work and what each does, then how to use a multimeter is quite a bit of training. Then you are risking killing a family member or yourself. It's a bit like Daniel O Donell and the gas, but electricity can be live and you not know it, you could make metalwork or water pipes live, you could burn down your own home with a lose connection while you sleep. Your house insurance won't pay out if it's your own fault, let alone claims if you kill a visitor etc.

I know electricians are expensive and don't want little jobs, but unless you are really trying to take up a new hobby and start wiring batteries to bulbs it's not worth the risk. Most average people struggle with 2 way light switches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

Blue to blue and brown to brown. Not that difficult. An immersion switch isn't rocket science, especially if you replace with a similar switch.

However the issues start when you don't understand how to kill a circuit, are overloading circuits, poor connections etc. Electricity is dangerous. If you are unsure then get someone who knows what they are doing. €150 is a lot cheaper than a house burnt to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

have a job, but sometimes i wonder would i have been better off getting an apprenticeship……..

thanks for all the advice folks.

Advertisement