Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours Acting Suspicious - Shipping Several Large Parcels At Midnight

• 24-09-2024 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭

Have new neighbours renting the semi d attached to us for nearly a year. My wife, myself and our son in our property nearly 20 years (mortgage) and hoping to stay here forever.

Best neighbours we've ever had. No pets. No parties. No domestics. These were all issues previously.

For the last few weeks a van with an enclosed trailer has been turning up around midnight.

A man and 2 women get out and help our neighbour with several large box parcels out to the van. They are acting very suspicious in general looking round them all the time, they talk for a while examining documents and the parcels with the lights from their phones then all packages get loaded onto the van.

Ive no problem with neighbours making extra cash selling on ebay or whatever. It's the time it's happening and the fact they are obviously acting very shifty while it's going on.

Now this is purely for information purposes and in case it might provide some clue as to what's going on: The neighbours are Ukranian and the women + man in the van are talking French. Like I said they are great neighbours. It's just bizarre. Never seen courier pickups at midnight before. Im just worried something dodgy / dangerous is going on to be shipping large boxes out at midnight.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭allybhoy

"Best neighbours we've ever had. No pets. No parties. No domestics. These were all issues previously"

Surely this is the most important thing… maybe they are shipping supplies to Ukraine, maybe they are selling dodgy gear on ebay, who cares. If the timing is an issue and waking you or your family up up, then mention that politely to them, but outside of that personally i would give up the curtain twitching and speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Stop curtain twitching and get on with your own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Drug dealers don't use trailers😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Regarding curtain twitching. Both our living rooms face out onto the road with a turning point at the end of a cul de sac. Anyone driving up and turning at midnight cant be missed. They light up the whole house but I take your point.

I guess my main question is are midnight courier pickups a thing? Its new to me. If nothing dodgy is going on Im fine with it.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Devils advocate: van share, very busy and have to work the midnight hour to get stuff done. Couriers will operate at all hours these days

Were in a time when people will watch the windows no sooner have they pressed "confirm order" but are not willing to wait the few days for delivery without working themselves up that it won't arrive on time.

Nothing wrong with seeing what's going on around you but could be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

At 11:45 some night, hide in a large box just beside their front door. When the van arrives at 12, they'll load you in. Then, when the doors close and the van takes off, you can climb out and check what's in the other boxes, the destination etc.

Bring a flashlight, some water, a snack and a bottle to pee in, just in case it's a long journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Mywifetoldme

My question is when does the stuff in the very large boxes arrive at the house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Given they’re Ukrainian could these be aid packages going back to Ukraine? Items collected locally then shipped off weekly?
    if boxes are leaving the house regularly then obviously “something” is first coming into the house before being packaged and shipped back out- do you see them unloading items from their car regularly or is that sort of thing also done late at night under darkness? 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pjordan

What's He Building? by Tom Waits

What's he building in there?
    What the hell is he building
    In there?
    He has subscriptions to those
    Magazines He never
    waves when he goes by
    He's hiding something from
    the rest of us He's all
    to himself I think I know
    why He took down the
    tire swing from the Peppertree
    He has no children of his
    Own you see He has no dog
    and he has no friends and
    his lawn is dying and
    what about all those packages
    he sends. What's he building in there?
    with that hook light
    on the stairs. What's he building
    in there I'll tell you one thing
    he's not building a playhouse for
    the children what's he building
    in there?

Now what's that sound
    from under the door?
    He's pounding nails into a
    hardwood floor and I
    swear to god I heard someone
    moaning low and I keep
    seeing the blue light of a
    T.V. show
    He has a router
    and a table saw and you
    won't believe what Mr. Sticha saw
    There's poison underneath the sink
    of course But there's also
    enough formaldehyde to choke
    a horse What's he building
    in there. What the hell is he
    building in there? I heard he
    has an ex-wife in some place
    called Mayors Income, Tennessee
    and he used to have a
    consulting business in Indonesia
    but what is he building in there?
    What the hell is he building in there?

He has no friends
    but he gets a lot of mail
    I'll bet he spent a little
    time in jail
    I heard he was up on the
    roof last night
    signaling with a flashlight
    and what's that tune he's
    always whistling

We have a right to know

Dont see anything arriving at the house but Im not in most days in the morning / afternoon.

I like watching a few box set episodes before bed so Im usually up until after midnight.

Theyre not happy here and want to return to Ukraine. They basically have no English.

Their landlord gave them an electric lawn mower in a box so obviously English instructions. I put it together for them and we communicate using a mobile app that translates speech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Mind your own business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I was on board until you said you put the lawnmower together for them as the instructions were in English. Most of those instructions come in multiple languages, one of them being French. Which they spoke to the van people.

Whatever their up to I reckon you were in on the gig at the beginning and now you've been cut loose and you're not happy.

Or Maybe they're slowly moving their stuff back to Ukraine via a French currier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Go out to them and act like a gormless gobdaw. Have ill fitting dirty jeans on and say TommySlug like sayings…. Are ye doing a bit of midnight parcel moving ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I say this from experience; there's no coming back.

The van people spoke French among themselves then they all spoke Ukrainian (I think) when the neighbour came out to the van.

Yeah maybe that's all theyre doing. Moving belongings.

I find it hard to believe people wouldnt be curious if a van turned up outside your front door and 4 people were out in the street with torches loading large packages into it. I think thats reasonable given its happening at midnight.

Post edited by jj880 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭herbalplants

They are probably emptying the house of any worthy valuables that landlord owns, before they return there.

Why do they act shifty, looking around if there is nothing hidden?

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Ted222

It’s sounds like an Enid Blyton book - Five go in search of mysterious boxes.

Do you have a dog?

Maybe they are manufacturing large boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭XLR 8

I wouldn't be happy there either. Escape from a war torn country to end up living beside a nosey gossip like you. Why not mind your own business. Why did you fell the need to mention their nationality. Its irrelevant where they come from. If you genuinely feel something is amiss then ring the Garda Mr.Nosey Parker. Hopefully they tell you where to put your big nose. Or on the other hand just draw the curtains and get on with your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭nachouser

"What's in the box? What's in the f×cking boooxxx??"

Deal or no deal?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If they're doing something criminal, there wouldn't be paperwork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, freight moves 24/7, most likely a foreign courier picking up before heading for the night ferry. It's normally a lot cheaper to use non-Irish couriers.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

It’s a shawshank redemption move. The boxes contain earth from underneath the house.

They're creating a tunnel but the question is…. where to????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Emblematic

Maybe they are building something in there.

• Advertisement

It’s cardboard not paper - there’s a whole cardboard trail apparently

No it’s the great escape- just beyond the start of the woods - but my bet is they’ll miscalculate and fall short by about 20 feet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Oscar,you made them.They are Ukranians shipping items back to Ukraine.Usually obtained from charity shops or Penneys in the previous few days.More than likely family get some and the rest is sold on.Happens twice a week where I am.Mostly Tuesday and Thurs or Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Large boxes- probably fags. Percentage of Ukrainians smoking seems high to me n I doubt there's many paying e17 a pack.

Local eastern European shop sells them by the truckload but wary of selling to paddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They could be russians pretending to be Ukrainian. Did you hear any small children crying out from the boxes? 🫣

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well if there is nothing coming in and parcels going out….. it could certainly be a possibility!

OP: Yes couriers will do pickups at anytime, but usually to commercial premises and it's very expensive so unlikely someone doing a side gig on eBay.

Have you checked to see if special branch are hanging about?

• Advertisement

Maybe it's clean west of Ireland air that is inside the boxes and they are selling it in Ukraine at 5 hryvnia a pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Just ask them - if ye have the brass neck to 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭StormForce13

There are some would-be comedians on this thread that make Brendan O'Carroll seem almost funny.

I enjoyed Gregor Samsa's opening post.

The frothing at the mouth about discrimination and nosiness not so much. Very dramatic. It was a simple query really.

Anyway got some good answers. Thanks to those posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Go trim your hedges at the same time and get a good gawk. You'll need headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

There are third party delivery vans that do group deliveries to other/certain countries on a regular basis.

My neighbours regularly send a small box or two or certain things that their parents need or want. Also especially before Xmas time.

In that case it's a guy who will drop off in Germany, Slovakia, perhaps Poland etc. Works out cheaper. Gets paid to courier stuff over and brings back stuff for sale here.

Probably delivery to Ukraine and last stop or two before the night ferry.

It seems where they come from is relevant. Got some helpful answers based on that as they could be sending packages home using couriers doing late night pickups before getting the ferry.

There are posts implying theyre stripping the house out. Surely thats worse than mentioning where they come from. Have you no faux outrage for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

More likely ciggies and booze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

While playing the Mission Impossible theme on your Smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

what do they do during the day?

Not sure. I rarely see them during the day. My son says the children were at school last year but now theyre being home schooled by their mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Advertisement