Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about transferring email from Eircom to Gmail

• 24-09-2024 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I have had an Eircom email address for donkey's years so I decided to keep it when they started to charge for it. However, the recent announcement of a further increase to €12.99 has prompted me to let it go. If possible..

I also have a Gmail account and have set it up to receive my Eircom emails. My question is, if I cancel the Eircom account will I still be able to receive those emails through Gmail or would I lose everything? Meaning anyone who uses my Eircom address would not be able to reach me?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you cancel and don't pay their extortion, you lose the account and that's no more emails to that address. Your gmail account isn't receiving them, it's just fetching them from the Eir account which is really received them.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MarcusMaximus

Ah that's what I was afraid of. Is there any way to intercept and re-direct those emails before they reach the actual Eir account? I imagine not but I'm clutching at straws here as there's no way I will be able to inform the multitude of sources that my email address has changed! 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, you need to inform the senders. Set up an auto-reply on the Eircom address ASAP, letting the senders know you can't be reached at that address anymore, and what your new address is.

You will need to continue to pay to keep the auto-reply active. After a month or two, when you're happy that the senders know, then you can shut it down.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I had an Eircom email account until this June. The debit card I was paying it through expired. I haven’t renewed it with Eircom so I haven’t had access to any emails in that account for a couple of months. I also have a gmail account.
    Over a couple of weeks I changed my contact email address with all of my utility providers, VHI etc. Then moved on to any personal contacts and emailed them to say the email address was changing.
    Finally I imported all of the old emails I wanted to keep into the gmail. It wasn’t too difficult. You can Google how to do it.
    A bit messy but definitely worth doing to save 9.99 a month which is what I was being charged.

Ok thanks. I'll probably have to do both to be sure - set up that auto-reply and also work through the important contacts to inform them of the change directly. And as I said in the first post, they're putting the fee up to 12.99 from November. 🤨 Hopefully by then the auto-reply will have done its work and I can go ahead and shut it down.

The main problem I foresee is with the automatic emails for renewals, subscriptions, alerts etc. There won't be anyone to read an auto-reply and act accordingly with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

And this where you need to go through all subscriptions/registrations that you have/might have and ensure you update account info , including contact and recovery options. This might also include relative(other) accounts , if your **@eir was given as recovery/secondary contact detail.

Yup. It's going to be a real pain but I don't want to be giving them any more money. The original €5.99 a month charge was bad enough but €12.99 is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭_BAA_RAM_EWE

I moved when they originally brought in the charge. It wasn't that bad actually.

Just log into your accounts and change your email in profile. Doesn't take long once you start into it. Theirs only a small amount of essential ones really. I think I spent an hour at it.

The only thing that I had trouble with a few years later was Electric Ireland. When you switch from them they don't delete your account. I switched back to them a few years later and couldn't get logged in on their website and had to ring them and it turned out the email to log in was my old one. Not the new one I'd used when switching that I'd put in on their switcher form! Weird set up they have going there.

Other than that I had no issues. It sounds worse than it is.

Ok, that’s good to hear thanks! Maybe when I get started it won’t seem so daunting. I’m just afraid I’ll miss something important but hopefully not 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Look back at an entire years worth of emails to see who contacted you, and you should be able to find most important stuff - a year is required to catch annual subscriptions and so on. This isn't quick, but quite effective.

• Advertisement

Yes that makes sense thanks, I’ll do that.

Advertisement