Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing broadband into a renovated cottage

• 24-09-2024 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I'm doing up an old derelict cottage and expect to move in by the end of the year.

I want to get the broadband installed but struggling to find any information on what needs to be done.
    Do they come out and do everything or do I need to get ducting put in place? Do I need to prepare anything else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Is fibre broadband available at that address?

Go to one of the retail providers, like eir, and put in the eircode to check availability.

The area may also be covered by the National Broadband Plan, check the eircode on the NBI website.

In a rural area they do run the line overhead from a pole or if you have a duct in place to the nearest pole would be helpful. Ducting is the responsibility of the homeowner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

How thick are the walls (internal and external)?

If you have thick external walls you might want to consider having a duct into your preferred location inside for the router from the side of the house nearest any Eir poles or ducts.

If you have thick internal walls consider running Ethernet cables to all rooms (or every other room) if possible as WiFi might have trouble penetrating walls, that way you can add WiFi access points in multiple rooms if coverage is an issue. If you terminate some of them in the ceiling space you could use ceiling mounted access points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

abd if you can't get fibre and have a weak mobile signal just get starlink. at least until the national broadband plan arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Nameloc

Yes I checked and I can get 1GB fibre, the house opposite also has it.

Internally I will be using cat6a cables to extend around the place as its a mix of ICF and Stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I highly recommend you get your own duct installed, by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement