Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chimney repair

• 24-09-2024 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a problem with sand coming down the chimney for over a year

Last year I got a guy to do the camera survey and he said the stack needed to be knocked and get

onto your insurance

meanwhile the assessor seemed very keen on getting the neighbour involved (shared stack but he didn't have any issues) to the point it felt like I was dealing with lads out to make a quick buck.

Forward to March this year, met a lad from Galway, said grand he'd do it for 2k and he'd be there in 2 weeks, got paid by the insurance and I rang him to give him the thumbs up.

He said a month, then said 2 weeks after that, then it was a week or maybe the week after, enough was enough, too much work on.

I wished him well and we went our separate way and I wonder now if 2k would actually have covered it as I've a feeling

he was a bit of a bluffer, told me everything I wanted to hear though.

Today I had another lad around, 3500 I've little doubt he's good and will know when he can come tomorrow, has enough info from me to come on the day and do the survey etc etc

only other guy I rang is due to come and wants 200 for the survey.

Has anyone had this done? what kind of money should I expect to pay. Flue is flexy and needs to be replaced and flexi doesn't last that long.

I do know for a fact the stack doesn't need to be knocked to happy I trusted my gut on that one as payout probably wouldn't have

covered this.

Post edited by mailburner on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

If I remember we'd a chimney done in 2018 or so was €3,500 for a knock and rebuild and line it as we were fitting a stove if it's any help.

Should I add it is a large chimney serving two fireplaces tho

Advertisement