Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Default credit card - mortgage advice needed please :(

• 24-09-2024 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

Long story short, took credit card out around 2022 for €1500 maxed it out was paying it of .. lost a parent then my job and my rented house unfortunately I was a mess. My last payment made was January 2024, - fast forward I got my life together got a permanent job, and called today to see if I could make the payment in full, they advised me my loan had been sent to Cabot and that I could only ring them and pay on the 13th October as they haven’t received my file yet.

Before this hard time myself and partner had saved 26k and continue to do so. We will be newly weds next year and would like to buy a house. We qualify for the help to buy and first time buyers scheme. Have I ruined all chances for myself & partner?

Please try to refrain from hate as I’m already giving myself the worst time. & thank you 🙏 in advanced to anyone willing to give me any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't get a mortgage next year. But you could in the future, relatively near future too.

Pay the card off, and make absolutely sure it shows as paid on your Central Credit Register file.

Don't take out any more credit in the interim. Pay off any credit cards - if you still have them - in full every time every month.

Keep to the other "applying for a mortgage" account sanitisation rules - no gambling, savings amounts regular and don't withdraw from the savings account, etc.

After ~18 months, go talk to a mortgage broker. 1500 can be explained, particularly if settled in full. And you're only going to be part of the risk profile on a joint mortgage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Huh

Last payment was January of this year.

You've saved 26k.

Why on earth were you saving like that while not paying your credit card debt :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 puresoulmmm

my wife to be is Irish and I am an Irish citizen who only moved to the country in 2021(my mother is Irish) I got the card to start my credit, when I arrived I couldn’t get a SIM card in contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 puresoulmmm

thank you very much I appreciate your comment! Extremely helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭frank730

if the bank said you can now only pay to cabot it means the debt is written off, which will be held on CCR database for 5 years and all lenders can see this, get a free copy of your own CCR report first and see how bad it is. you are not getting a mortgage next year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It doesn't work like that in Ireland.

"I got the card to start my credit"

There may be a concept in the USA or other countries of using a credit card to establish a credit profile.

That does not happen here.

Advertisement