Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike watch

• 24-09-2024 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

my last smart watch died a death last week so looking for recommendations for new one that I can wear all the time in manual work place and use for my cycling runs,thanks in advance .

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I have a Garmin Venu which for me is a good balance between a something I can use for sports and one I can wear in the workplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭oinkely

Coros pace 3, nice and small and really good battery life. Decathlon gps900 made by coros, not as neat as the pace 3 but cheaper and does all the same stuff. Great battery life too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I've 2 Garmin watches for sale in the for sale section here. Perfect for cycling.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058368068/garmin-instinct-solar#latest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm a farmer so my Garmin Instinct 2 gets exposed to all sorts of manual work situations and nothing has caused it any trouble.

Well built, rugged and does the sports bits well too but not anywhere nearly as pretty to look at as some of the other models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

The glass Garmin use seems to be very scratch resistant. I'm desk bound for work but with DIY, garden, and general knocking around the watch would see a fair amount of abuse. After over 4 years, you'd have to look very closely to see any scratching at all on my Vivoactive 4 in contrast to the (fairly top of the range) Citizen I had before it.

Regarding cycling, most of the Garmins at least will measure heart rate, and speed etc. from GPS. Not all might connect to ANT or Bluetooth sensors, and they specifically tend to hobble attempts to connect to power meters. If sports are the priority, I might look at the options in Forerunner, if looks are more important look elsewhere in the range (they keep chopping and changing so not sure which line in particular)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

Get a Garmin Fenix and be done with it.
    Go for Sapphire glass if you can.

I have a Fenix 5X about 4 years now, of mountain biking and daily wear. Gets lots of bangs and crashes. Bezel has a few scratches and dings, but the Glass is perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Another vote for the Fenix. Have one..love it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I had the money I would get the Fenix or the Epix, alas I chickened out and got the Wahoo. Good watch, good at telling time, GPS seems fine, HR is not good, doesn't actually do anything fancy, battery life is excellent though.

I will be getting one or the other when this goes under in a few years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭JMcL

I would love a Fenix, but the biggest problem I have with the Vivoactive is battery degradation. It's halved from new (6 days down to around 3) with occasional GPS use (it'll usually be the Edge on the bike) and I don't do the overnight pulse-ox thing. It's not the end of the world at that, and not a deal breaker, but I'd baulk at having to charge a watch daily for example. I'd be fearful of paying twice that for a Fenix and having it unusable after 5 years. You could argue that's the expected lifespan but it comes to a lot of money /year for a watch!

Advertisement