Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop broken - salvage files

• 24-09-2024 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi all

Laptop motherboard died . I put the SSD drive into external USB case. I tried on different computers and SSD does not come up in file explorer.

I've now read about using "disk management" utility to initialize the drive. But I can't find concrete answer if this will format files already in the drive so afraid to try

Any advice greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Alan

Post edited by allycavs on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do not initialise the drive. There's no need for any changes like that.

If it shows in explorer, are the files visible there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Will just mention, bitlocker protected drive would/should appear in file explorer but inaccessible until unlocked by PIN/recovery key

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If the files are in any way important, don't touch the drive. Disconnect it, and put it somewhere safe. Then contact someone who knows something about hard drives. It is very easy for a well-meaning amateur to render a drive virtually unrecoverable.

Now if these are just files you wouldn't mind having back, but don't care that much if they're lost, and you'd like to learn more about drives, then that's a different story

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭allycavs

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I edited original post due to my mistype. So to be clear the SSD does NOT appear on file explorer . I left out the NOT word in original first message.

Bitlocker is not installed.

There are some files I would like to retrieve yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What status drive shown in "Disk management"? screenshot would help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Any way you could confirm that the external USB case is working?

Hi yes it's the external case is faulty. Damn it. If I bought new laptop and took out it's drive and plugged my original one in, would it boot up same as my old laptop?

Any guide to do this ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's a little hard to predict. Windows is certainly much better these days at having an installation moved to another machine and still boot. It'll probably object to the change in hardware and moan about needing to be reactivated, failing to do so, then demand a new key. The new laptop should already have an activated install and thus sidestep that.

Ya also reading about driver's not aligning. So guess it's not a runner really

Advertisement