Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a solicitor to evict a bad tenant

• 25-09-2024 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3

Hi,

Does anyone recommend any good solicitor who can able to evict a tenant who hasn't paid rents for a year, subletting the house, and owes more than €23000?

Currently I am waiting for outcome of RTB tribunal hearing.

Regards

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

I'd not be waiting for the doo gooder advice etc

Cousin of mine rocked up one day with 3 pals and they moved into the house again , had loud music on etc parties and the tenants soon got a pain the rear and moved out , he put all bills back in his name , stopped them using the tv , cooking etc

it's not right but it got them out , and tbh i'd do the same if i was in the same position , it's your house and your investment , so by any means neccessary , most tenants know they are in the wrong and wouldnt contest it but a small few would , but if you have all back up and correspondences to verify your claim id take the chance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

100% agree with you but be very careful, the PRB will come down on you like a tonne of bricks.

This was only this week...

Landlord ordered to pay over €10,000 damages after disconnecting electricity and changing locks during illegal eviction

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/housing-planning/2024/09/22/landlord-ordered-to-pay-over-10000-damages-after-disconnecting-electricity-and-changing-locks-during-illegal-eviction/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭csirl

Is the original tenant still living in the house or is he gone and has 'sublet' to others?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 brianpat73

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 brianpat73

Original tenants living in the house and have sublet two rooms to other people.

The Irish law is very soft on the tenants but very hard on landlords. This is the reason why the tenants are taking full advantage of remaining in the house without paying a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hontou

I assume there was a 'no subletting' line in the tenancy contract? If so, they have not behaved according to the terms of the contract. This also applies if they are not paying rent. The RTB will rule in your favour but that means nothing. Solicitors cannot evict them either. They will advise you to wait for the RTB's decision, which still does not allow you to evict them. State backed theft. If you don't pay for a service/product in any other sector, it is theft. But free accommodation is encouraged in Ireland through the RTB which is paid for by the landlord. I have 2 empty houses that I want to provide to the market place but can't for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

I assume there was a 'no subletting' line in the tenancy contract?

It's very important to note that taking in a licensee to live in the property with the tenant is not "subletting" and would not be prohibited by a tenancy agreement term that specifically says "no subletting". If you want to prohibit your tenants from taking in licensees, you must explicitly put that in the tenancy agreement from the start using the correct verbiage. If you just grab some boilerplate lease from the Internet and think the "no subletting without the landlord's permission" bit in that will cover you, you'll be sadly mistaken…

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yup the RTB is heavily biased to the tenants, you never hear that in the press though, it's always about the big bad landlord regardless of what a tenant does.

Had two properties and sold them,between being messed around by tenants and the prohibitive tax it was just too much of a ballache.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Remember the shills only get paid when you react to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement